Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else? Nitrous Newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else? Nitrous Newb

Hey everyone, i've been piecing together my nitrous setup for a few months now. Car is tucked away for the winter, so i would like to start install in about a month or so (wife is expecting our first child on the 20th.)

My car is a 99 TA 6 spd
Schwankes Shortblock:
GM 5.3L Truck Cast Iron Block (Bore 3.903)
· 3.622” Stroke GM Crankshaft
· 6.098 LS1 Connecting Rods
· Forged Flat Top Pistons
· 1.5mm Power Pack Ring Set
· ACL Rod & Main Bearings
· ARP Rod Bolts
· Digitally Balanced Assembly
· Fully Assembled & Blue Printed

243 heads
Patriot gold springs
Futral F5 Cam 224"/228" .588"/.576" 114LSA
LS7 Clutch
Longtubes, cat back yadda yadda
The car was previously supercharged on a different short block, the boost a pump was left in place.

SO i started the process of piecing the engine together with nitrous in mind. I got a good deal off of here for some used parts:
Clear lid with dual dry lines
NOS 10lb bottle
NOS remote bottle opener
NOS bottle heater
NOS old style noids (one purge)
75-85-100 jets
I then have since added a HSW Microedge controller and ashtray switch plate, and dual purge upgrade (cool factor).

My question is, what else should i add? the car has TR6 plugs in it, but after reading through here i am nervous of those. I have no gauges yet, i know i need a wideband, but damn they are expensive. The car has already been dyno tuned (beat Dads C6 w00t.) What are my must have parts before i start my install? i want to do everything at once to keep the install clean.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

what did the motor dyno at N/A?? what fuel injectors are you running?? how old are the "old style noids"? May want to rebuild them if they are old and have not been. and i assume they are the smaller noids?? if so do you plan on staying at 100 or less hp shot?? you will need some method of pulling timing.. ie... LS1 Timing Tuner or the Lingenfelter Retard device. these seem to the more popular devices. since you are running a dry shot you may want to look into the HSW Interface (altho i believe it pulls timing thru the IAT, which will limit the amount of timing it pulls unless you do your own tuning and can adjust the amount).
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

My first main concerns would be to make sure fueling and timing is good. Is it a full kit or parts and pieces. If its still missing parts, shoot me an email with a picture of what you all have and I can make up a parts list for you. Thanks.

nick
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Awesome thanks guys. I just ordered some stuff from you Nick and will probably order again soon. I'm working right now but will get pics tonight!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Canadianbacon
Awesome thanks guys. I just ordered some stuff from you Nick and will probably order again soon. I'm working right now but will get pics tonight!
Sounds good!

Nick
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Micro Edge and Switch plate

Bottle Opener and twin purge

Nitrous Noid and Purge noid

Clear Lid with lines

Yurview, NA it dynoed roughly 450 rwhp and 455rwtq. The sheet is at my office. I was hoping to eventually get up too 150hp shot or even bigger since everything seems to be built to handle it. I have no idea if the solenoids have been rebuilt, i might look into that. Would it be better to just get a new set? It's running stock LS1 injectors, so i've been on the prowl for a good deal on some used 42 lbs ones. I wanted to order the interface but was reluctant because i will be going pre maf. After doing some research though, i might sell this lid (i already have a clear lid on the car) and get a plate system post MAF with the interface. What do you think Nick? i am really new to this nitrous stuff, and have no friends or family with experience. I get to be the guinea pig.

There is only one local shop that refills here. $11.00/lb!!!! I am convinced after one bottle if i think i am going to be using it alot, that i will be ordering my own refill station. I can buy bulk from my welding supply shop for $5/lb.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

lol dude what is up with all of those measuring cups and plastic spoons in the background? I think I counted 7 measuring cups!

Some things you'll want to double check that you have...
Jets
Feed line
bottle brackets
relay and electrical

Also test fire everything to make sure its all working. I love the idea of Interface/plate system. It is so much easier and cleaner. Jump over to our site and check out the Interface instructions to get a better idea of how everything works and how the settings are made. Honestly its pretty simple to use. Any questions just ask. Thanks.

Nick
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Lol, thanks Nick. Look for a PM soon.

As far as the measuring cups go, i work in oilfield waste management and took the pics on one of my test benches. I like those cheap measuring cups because they are cheap enough i consider them disposable. Crude gets on EVERYTHING lol.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

I would get the wideband to hook up to the Micro Edge!!! It may be expensive now but its going to be more expensive to replace pistons or valves! I have had my setup in my car for 6 months but haven't fired it yet because I am waiting for the wideband.