Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock trans on spray.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock trans on spray.

Whats your take on this? Thinking of a 100-150 shot. Will it hold up?? Prolly will only spray on the big end of the track for my rear end is still a 10 bolt.

thanks,
fitz
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

good luck, they don't last long at all on spray. Which is why we lost our $500 race with your boys.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Whats your take on this? Thinking of a 100-150 shot. Will it hold up?? Prolly will only spray on the big end of the track for my rear end is still a 10 bolt.

thanks,
fitz
im assuming your an automatic?

you can make it last if you take it easy on the spray

just dont spray off the line with sticky tires for sure or both the tranny and 10 bolt will be at risk
Old 03-07-2010, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedcrazy2
im assuming your an automatic?

you can make it last if you take it easy on the spray

just dont spray off the line with sticky tires for sure or both the tranny and 10 bolt will be at risk
Not ture. you might break the rear, butyou're not going to break the trans spraying out the hole. What happens is when you spray and set your nitrous controller to turn off at X RPM, the nitrous shuts off and instead of the trans shifting at say 6,500, it will spin to 7,000 before it shifts. OR, won't shift at all and take out a band.

I have TONS of spray passes out of the hole going 1.5's on my stock rearend. She held up great. But I now have a 4l80e in the car, this is like 7 trans later. 4l60e's just suck on spray.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4bangermustang
Not ture. you might break the rear, butyou're not going to break the trans spraying out the hole. What happens is when you spray and set your nitrous controller to turn off at X RPM, the nitrous shuts off and instead of the trans shifting at say 6,500, it will spin to 7,000 before it shifts. OR, won't shift at all and take out a band.

I have TONS of spray passes out of the hole going 1.5's on my stock rearend. She held up great. But I now have a 4l80e in the car, this is like 7 trans later. 4l60e's just suck on spray.

yes you are right and the most common thing is the 3-4 band going out but not always

im just telling him to be prepared for one or the other to break if he launches the car

we have blown a few ten bolts launching but some do get away with it longer
Old 03-07-2010, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

I am running stock trans w 3600 stall, trans cooler, and deep pan with 10 bolt w 3.73, cover and studs. Car has been sprayed with 100 shot consistently and up to 150 on occasion. It Can be done. Just have to take Damn good car of your trans. Get a window switch, do not spray thru shifts, and get trans temp gauge and do not run it when trans is too hot. I do not spray off the line. I spray in 2nd and up. Have tried hitting at top of 1st, but break traction. Suspension issues.... trans seems to handle It fine. Yes the stock trans will eventually die, but taking care of it will prolong its death.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
I am running stock trans w 3600 stall, trans cooler, and deep pan with 10 bolt w 3.73, cover and studs. Car has been sprayed with 100 shot consistently and up to 150 on occasion. It Can be done. Just have to take Damn good car of your trans. Get a window switch, do not spray thru shifts, and get trans temp gauge and do not run it when trans is too hot. I do not spray off the line. I spray in 2nd and up. Have tried hitting at top of 1st, but break traction. Suspension issues.... trans seems to handle It fine. Yes the stock trans will eventually die, but taking care of it will prolong its death.
Thanks that helps a lot. Are the e.t's ur seeing worth the risk of spraying? Did you gain a lot from it on the 100 shot?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

11.8s @ 118 on motor... 11.0 @ 123 last time at track on 100 shot. 1.66 60ft. not leaving hard at all, no stalling, bc i'm too scared of rear breaking. these times were done on untuned car. just got car tuned Friday, so hoping to be at track soon and hopin to see some 10s!!! There is a "risk", simply bc that 10 bolt is SO unpredicable, but worth it, Yes. As long as you arent launching hard and take care of your trans like i stated before, you'll be fine. just have to be careful when on stock crap. FYI my car is a head, cam, and 90mm intake/TB car, with headers, true duals. Car dynoed 424hp 380tq friday N/A + 100 shot. stock bottom end. I'm more worried about my bottom end than my trans.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
11.8s @ 118 on motor... 11.0 @ 123 last time at track on 100 shot. 1.66 60ft. not leaving hard at all, no stalling, bc i'm too scared of rear breaking. these times were done on untuned car. just got car tuned Friday, so hoping to be at track soon and hopin to see some 10s!!! There is a "risk", simply bc that 10 bolt is SO unpredicable, but worth it, Yes. As long as you arent launching hard and take care of your trans like i stated before, you'll be fine. just have to be careful when on stock crap. FYI my car is a head, cam, and 90mm intake/TB car, with headers, true duals. Car dynoed 424hp 380tq friday N/A + 100 shot. stock bottom end. I'm more worried about my bottom end than my trans.
Yeah the ten bolts do suck. Thanks for the input. Im just a cam only right now. On the dynojet it put down 408hp and 376ft lbs. So with a 100 shot I should be sitting pretty.