Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the hype with the single plate systems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wideband is straight off my shop's dyno and we just replaced it a week before I put my car on the dyno. We have tuned 10-15 cars since then. The 63/44 is directly according to NOS jet chart, and the 62/35 is NX's chart. I have always jets according to the distribution brand I'm running.

On the dyno I put in 63/44 NOS and it made 630whp, 12:1 afr. Then I went to 64/51 and it was 11.3:1 and made 613. I put the 44 fuel back in and sprayed it on the street here's where I am now.. back to the nozzle.

What I'd like to know is if there is someone who went from a nozzle to a plate and was super impressed.

If so I'll buy another brand plate system and try it out. Recommendations?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

The wideband is straight off my shop's dyno and we just replaced it a week before I put my car on the dyno. We have tuned 10-15 cars since then. The 63/44 is directly according to NOS jet chart, and the 62/35 is NX's chart. I have always jets according to the distribution brand I'm running.

On the dyno I put in 63/44 NOS and it made 630whp, 12:1 afr. Then I went to 64/51 and it was 11.3:1 and made 613. I put the 44 fuel back in and sprayed it on the street here's where I am now.. back to the nozzle.

What I'd like to know is if there is someone who went from a nozzle to a plate and was super impressed.

If so I'll buy another brand plate system and try it out. Recommendations?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because your changing how each kit distributes the N20 your WB could be lying to you in a way.
See you are only getting an average of 4 cyl's witht he WB. so maybe the nozzle aims more to one side than the other or vise versa.

You should be reading the plugs ... there is no way that jetting isnt rich.

All this makes sense in my head... hope I explained OK.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, with that jetting it has to be pig rich. You are leaving alot on the table running it like that.... I don't understand why people are too damn lazy to tune their nitrous properly. Pull the plugs for gods sake....
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Pull and read plugs.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

I have the HSW wet plate kit and it hits hard as hell.....hits just as hard as my buddys nozzle kit on his C6
Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I have already pulled the plugs and stated that on my first post. They looked good no peppering and the timing mark is dead on both times so don't go calling me lazy when its not my fault you didn't read before responding.

I have pulled the plugs 6-7 times and have changed them each time so there is no confusion. This is not my first rodeo just my first time using a plate. Hell I had nitrous on my explorer when I was 16 years old so I know when something is not working properly. Maybe I got a bad plate who knows but I do know that going back to the nozzle fixed it.

Hell my jetting is on Nos website and on the sticky in this forum... if its that wrong then I am sure more people would have trouble.

Last edited by Big Turkey; 05-02-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 AM
9 Second Club

What did the plug say fuel wise? We aren't questioning timing, we are questioning fuel and you stated nothing about the plug that way.

If you dont want to listen to us that is fine, but that jetting is dead rich and the reason nobody never says anything is because they dont know any better. Go look at other NOS tuneups they put out there for other systems around the same time this plate came out, they are dead rich as well. Just how they did it.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

First off I'd like to say I do appreciate everyone's help, but when you come in here and instead of telling me to look at the plugs (which I already did) and you call me "too damn lazy", you tell me how am I supposed to respond to that.

I am trying to figure out why, not sit here and be belittled because you have more experience than me regarding this aspect.

I can understand DEAD rich but the car still made 630whp. 491whp on motor. So 140+ at the wheels on a 150... close enough, I'm sure I'm leaving 10 or so hp on the table but I'm telling you the car did not feel like but a 50 shot. I had 100 shot in the nozzle that was WAY stronger than this "150".

I didn't have anything to cut the plug open with, but here is a picture of the plug. It's not so rich it's not even burning...

Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

BTW the lines and everything were the same on both setups, I just switched the plate/nozzle and left everything alone.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Launching!

the nozzle penetrates,the plate lays there...
Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brokenfly
the nozzle penetrates,the plate lays there...
That's a good way to say it haha
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

put the nozzle back on... and then dyno again.... if it makes same power then you know the plate is fine. you cant just go off seat of the pants feel... i know a plate is more efficient and thats all i care about. also pull all 8 plugs after a run with a nozzle vs a run with a plate and i guarantee the plugs on the nozzle setup will look different from one another. and the ones from a plate will look alot more similar to one another.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
First off I'd like to say I do appreciate everyone's help, but when you come in here and instead of telling me to look at the plugs (which I already did) and you call me "too damn lazy", you tell me how am I supposed to respond to that.

I am trying to figure out why, not sit here and be belittled because you have more experience than me regarding this aspect.

I can understand DEAD rich but the car still made 630whp. 491whp on motor. So 140+ at the wheels on a 150... close enough, I'm sure I'm leaving 10 or so hp on the table but I'm telling you the car did not feel like but a 50 shot. I had 100 shot in the nozzle that was WAY stronger than this "150".

I didn't have anything to cut the plug open with, but here is a picture of the plug. It's not so rich it's not even burning...

Looks really rich to me.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Are those peppering spots (detonation) on the porcelin?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Looks really rich to me.
Glad im not alone, If I pulled that out of my motor things would be changing quick.

There is a reason we ask to see the plug and this is the reason, people say they look "fine" but infact they do not.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
Glad im not alone, If I pulled that out of my motor things would be changing quick.

There is a reason we ask to see the plug and this is the reason, people say they look "fine" but infact they do not.
If I pulled them from my motor I would pull it apart because something has to be broke. LOL !

Indeed!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

No the dots on the porcelain are red.. I am running C12 leaded gas.

From my experience C12/111 have always sprayed my plugs like this... but then again I may be wrong haha.

I do have pictures of all eight, and they all look the same.

I also have pictures of the 8 I sprayed with the nozzle and they look very similar. I will try another plate and do everything on the dyno and keep everyone updated.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

walley get me some free dyno time and we can throw mine on the dyno to see what it does just make sure no1 else is around

we can put fresh plugs in before the run and pull them right after.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read the rest of this.....

You say that those plugs look 'fine" well, you are wrong. They look very rich and have signs of detonation.

NOS as well as just about every other manufacturer out there recommended jetting is fat. The reason being: up untill the past few years everyone was convinced that being rich was safer than being lean.
I am running an Edelbrock plate on my engine (low pressure) and they recommend squared jetting for all of their hp ratings. If I want to spray a 150 shot I do not put 63N and 63F, i run somewhere around 63N and a 52F or sometimes even smaller on the fuel side depending on what fuel pressure I am running.

Do a search on plug reading, you need to know what to look for and know how to make the plug change it's look.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What's the hype with the single plate systems?