Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the hype with the single plate systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010 | 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Default What's the hype with the single plate systems?

I recently put a NX single nozzle kit on my car pilled for a 150. Car hit real hard and strong, plugs looked good. People kept talking about the plate kit was a much cleaner and smoother hit so I purchased a NOS plate brand new. Put it on the car and dyno'd it, made 630 on the 150. Unfortunately I never dyno'd it with the nozzle.

But on the street the plate comes in and out and is REAL soft.. the same feeling if I had a low bottle. I played with the fuel jetting up and down and didn't get a change. I pulled the plate many times checking to see if there was a clog but everything looked fine.

I thought I had gotten a bad fill so I switched back to the single nozzle. It hits hard as hell again so it was obviously the plate. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-27-2010 | 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

My single nozzle hit harder than my plate also. Good question
Old 04-29-2010 | 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody?
Old 04-29-2010 | 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ideally you get better mixing of the fuel and nitrous, and more even distribution among the cylinders with the plate vs. the jet. Plates seem to do a better job of getting the mixture to the front cylinders in the intake manifold. I suppose part of that depends on the location of the jet in the intake plumbing though. Less relevant I guess is the plate is a little bit of a cleaner setup.

Why one hits harder, I couldn't tell you as I've only had a plate on my car. I can't see a good reason why it would make a difference if they were both jet for the same sized nitrous hit.
Old 04-29-2010 | 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Ideally you get better mixing of the fuel and nitrous, and more even distribution among the cylinders with the plate vs. the jet. Plates seem to do a better job of getting the mixture to the front cylinders in the intake manifold. I suppose part of that depends on the location of the jet in the intake plumbing though. Less relevant I guess is the plate is a little bit of a cleaner setup.

Why one hits harder, I couldn't tell you as I've only had a plate on my car. I can't see a good reason why it would make a difference if they were both jet for the same sized nitrous hit.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've always had nozzle systems on all my cars but decided to make the switch to the plate and was not impressed. I jetted both systems according to the manufacturer, I used NX jets for the NX nozzle and NOS jets for the NOS plate so that wasn't wrong. Hell I even went up a fuel jet size on the nozzle and it still hits and pulls 5x harder.
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Its kinda in the same realm of a plate hitting "harder" then a direct port. But what does hitting "harder" do for you? I bet it makes the same amount of power if the tuneups are equal, it will give better distribution, and makes the install way cleaner.

Out of curiosity what jets did you use in each setup?
Old 04-30-2010 | 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

My 60ft actually went down using a plate because it didn't "hit" as hard. Used same exact jets on each setup. But will go back and re jet because I got the plate to go up on the jets. So time will tell
Old 04-30-2010 | 09:28 AM

With a plate being only having a couple of inches before the mixture enters the intake, it can skip the first runners and have uneven distribution. Where as with a nozzle you can insert the nitrous into the flow earlier, giving it more time to cool the air currently in the intake tube and distribute more evenly throughout the flow, so in fact, nozzle systems have better distribution than plates.
Old 04-30-2010 | 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitrousBraden
With a plate being only having a couple of inches before the mixture enters the intake, it can skip the first runners and have uneven distribution. Where as with a nozzle you can insert the nitrous into the flow earlier, giving it more time to cool the air currently in the intake tube and distribute more evenly throughout the flow, so in fact, nozzle systems have better distribution than plates.
Actually it's the reverse situation - a jet mounted too close to the TB will usually blow the 950 psi right past the first two intake runners. A plate (at least the Nitro Dave's, I'd assume the others are similar in design) has multiple small openings facing downward, so the high pressure gas hits the other side of the plate and then is drawn into the intake by the engine's vacuum, and more evenly dispersed among the intake runners. Someone took a video a few years ago of the dispersion of just N2O (no fuel) through a plate, not sure if it's still on here in some archived thread.
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousBraden
Gonna have to disagree w/ ya on that one. One example, HSW's plate (which I use on my car) has a 360 degree spray pattern. Without going direct port, it's hard to beat it's distribution qualities....... http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop.../hsw-plate.wmv
"NHRATA01," that might have been the video you were talking about.
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:08 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

here is another vid

View Video on FQuick
Old 04-30-2010 | 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Plate or nozzle, I don't care. Neither one has ver good distribution on our style intakes. I'll say it again, I would not spray mo than 175-200 through either of them...

As far as the OP saying that the plate doesn't "hit" as hard.... Were the lines coming from the noids the same legnth as they were when it had the nozzle?

Most likely you were getting a bigger lean spike when you had the nozzle on there witch would make it "hit" harder if your tune up is fat. And if you are running the manufacturers recommended jetting then I guarentee that it is fat.

Just my .02

BTW, before someone tries to argue with me about how I feel about the plates and nozzles then be prepared to post up some plug pics from an engine that was spraying over 200 through one or the other. I have asked for pics multiple times and nobody will post any....
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:03 PM
hashtagBMW

A lot of the "hitting harder" is mumbo jumbo from users and considering there are other factors that go into it rather then just plate vs nozzle, its hard to say whats better.

Lenght of the lines to the distribution point is one thing, how close it is to the intake is another. If you had the same length lines from the noids to the entry point then per what I just said, the plate would hit harder becuase it sees the engine earlier then a nozzle would.

Tony.
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAKED
Plate or nozzle, I don't care. Neither one has ver good distribution on our style intakes. I'll say it again, I would not spray mo than 175-200 through either of them...

As far as the OP saying that the plate doesn't "hit" as hard.... Were the lines coming from the noids the same legnth as they were when it had the nozzle?

Most likely you were getting a bigger lean spike when you had the nozzle on there witch would make it "hit" harder if your tune up is fat. And if you are running the manufacturers recommended jetting then I guarentee that it is fat.

Just my .02

BTW, before someone tries to argue with me about how I feel about the plates and nozzles then be prepared to post up some plug pics from an engine that was spraying over 200 through one or the other. I have asked for pics multiple times and nobody will post any....
IMO I wouldn't spray more than 200 wet without a direct port setup.
Old 04-30-2010 | 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Reminds me of the old wet hits harder than dry posts. LOL

If it dont hit hard make it hit harder.
Old 04-30-2010 | 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with everything about distibution of plate over nozzle. Also with not going over a 200 on a plate. I was just stating that my couple passes on my plate vs nozzle the 60 ft slowed down. I'm sure it just needs more tuning and jetting. But I had a nozzle about 4 inches in front of throttle body and simply used the same exact lines on my plate and jets were the same and it simply just didn't "hit" the tires as hard as the nozzle. But more time and adjustments will tell.
Old 04-30-2010 | 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

When I say it the "hit" I don't mean the initial hit. I mean the entire time the nitrous is on it feels weak. And there's a small delay on the plate, like air in the line, but I've purged the ***** out of it and nothing changes. Bottle pressure is at 900-950psi on both setups.

The nozzle comes on very smooth and pulls to redline. The plate has a delay, comes on soft and power stays flat and feels like struggling. It really feels like I'm on motor. And every time I shift I can feel the nitrous come in and out while I'm on the throttle.

Jets for plate are NOS 63/44, AFR is low 12:1 on this setup. Nozzle is NX 62/35, AFR is 12:1.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey

Jets for plate are NOS 63/44, AFR is low 12:1 on this setup. Nozzle is NX 62/35, AFR is 12:1.
There is something very very wrong if both those jets give you around 12:1. check your wideband or something.

The jetting is DEAD and I mean DEAD rich with the plate, run the exact same jets you had in the nozzle in the plate it will run better and I can tell you that is still rich. Id wouldnt even use a 44 fuel jet on a 82 jet and that between 250-275 worth.
Old 04-30-2010 | 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
There is something very very wrong if both those jets give you around 12:1. check your wideband or something.

The jetting is DEAD and I mean DEAD rich with the plate, run the exact same jets you had in the nozzle in the plate it will run better and I can tell you that is still rich. Id wouldnt even use a 44 fuel jet on a 82 jet and that between 250-275 worth.
put the 82N jet in it and I get it will hit hard. LOL
Old 04-30-2010 | 10:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
put the 82N jet in it and I get it will hit hard. LOL
Dont tempt me.... that reminds me I need to order some bigger jets.

Quick Reply: What's the hype with the single plate systems?