Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing mark on the plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing mark on the plug

I sprayed the car tonight tuning my fuel jet, and when I pulled the plugs they looked rich, so I went down a size. But here a pic of #3.

Where is the timing mark? Close to the threads right?

Here's cylinder 8:

I know I'm supposed to tune for the leanest cylinder, but I was curious, is this a nitrous delivery problem, or do I simply just take out another deg of timing?

I have 8deg of retard at the moment.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

#3 is def hotter than #8. Go off of the leanest plug to set your timing for safety. But worse case it's not going to hurt to run one of the cylinder's a little hotter and on edge to get the rest where they need to be. There is a happy medium there of going to far or leaving some on the table as far as power. The way they look right now I'd leave the timing where it's at if the fueling is spot on!

The fueling you can't tell anything by looking at the top of the plug. The WOT fuel ring is at the base of the porcelon. You will need a scope or cut the threads off the plug to accurately get your fueling right.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mark on 8 is about perfect in most peoples book. Usually my 5678 are the hottest so its weird to see 3 so hot, but yes you will tune off your hottest hole with these cars since we cant control individual cylinders.

and yes it is dead rich or you have an oil problem, I cant tell well because of the pics, cut off the threads so we can see the porcelain to see how rich it really is.

What were you jets? total timing on motor? total timing on nitrous?

also remember when you are leaning it out you will need to watch timing and possibly take some more out.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for something like this earlier to compare what I was looking it. What if the burn marks go down about three threads from the top?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Jets were 62/35, and I added 2% at the injector some time ago. It is fuel, I can smell it. I went to a 33 fuel jet but I am thinking I should step it down to a 31 or lean out the 2% in the tune.

Timing is 26deg on motor, 18 on nitrous.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

I like'm right at the middle of the bend on the strap. Best mile hour @20*. Fuel mark is light grey.

Looks to me that 8 could add 2* but thats if the ring is nice.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TA1364
I was looking for something like this earlier to compare what I was looking it. What if the burn marks go down about three threads from the top?
Normally that means you should go to a colder plug. The timing mark is on the ground strap. Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Jets were 62/35, and I added 2% at the injector some time ago. It is fuel, I can smell it. I went to a 33 fuel jet but I am thinking I should step it down to a 31 or lean out the 2% in the tune.

Timing is 26deg on motor, 18 on nitrous.
Don't throw too much change at it. I go about 2 jet sizes at a time and the check again. You do not want to get too greedy and change too much. I'd also only tune on jet sizes if you have them.

Don't add timing until you get the fuel right and watch it as you are taking away fuel.

This is how I would go about it IMO.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

the last pic i can see timming(looks real close maybe 1 to much to start with) fuel is tough on those pics. looks rich or got some oil in there. but if you take a jet out of the fuel take a degree out of the tune . as you lean it out the mark will move to the bend. take the pics looking straight down and cut the threads off after that and get us 1 from the side. also the heat on the threads i might put 1 colder plug in. once you lean it out the "hot" cyl might change on you.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

I decided to give a HSW plate system a try. Hopefully it will get in this week and I'll put the car on the dyno so I can get more accurate plug readings. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

what was the old nitrous setup?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Shiz, Just a NX shark nozzle. I had a NOS plate that dyno'd good numbers but felt like a turd on the street. I took it off and put the nozzle back in and it feels 10x better and here is where we're at now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

cool. deal post some plug pics with the new setup....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Shiz, Just a NX shark nozzle. I had a NOS plate that dyno'd good numbers but felt like a turd on the street. I took it off and put the nozzle back in and it feels 10x better and here is where we're at now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I took of HSW plate and put on NX Shark nozzle car was alot faster. Seams like plate was restricted anything over 100HP.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragman
I took of HSW plate and put on NX Shark nozzle car was alot faster. Seams like plate was restricted anything over 100HP.
why do you think it is restrictive over 100hp? did you use the same jets in both?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camscam02
why do you think it is restrictive over 100hp? did you use the same jets in both?

I'm curious to know this as well. Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
Don't throw too much change at it. I go about 2 jet sizes at a time and the check again. You do not want to get too greedy and change too much. I'd also only tune on jet sizes if you have them.

Don't add timing until you get the fuel right and watch it as you are taking away fuel.

This is how I would go about it IMO.
+1

Listen to this guy, he speaks the truth.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

I never used the hsw but when i saw the little noids i was thinking 100-150 myself. with the bigger noids it would not be a problem. What noids did you have the ones the width of a quarter or the ones the width of a golf ball?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at your pictures it is not real clear.. Sometimes pictures like this can be misleading.

When looking at the timing mark look at the strap with a magnified light. Once you see the timing mark take your thumb and wipe the strap clean down to the metal just to varify the mark you see is still the same. The burn mark on the strap metal is the most acurate as it gives the best detail.

The fuel ring will be at the bottom of the porcylyn like stated above but I still look at the smooth base where the pstrap is welded to and the top range of the porcylyn as I am dialing it in. (I dont feel like cutting plugs up until I am close on the tune up) On the smooth base I look for a full color change. Basically a charcoal gray. On the porcyln I use a magnified light just to varify I do not see and signs of pre detonation or fuel spots.

If there are silver specs on the porcyln its a sign of pre detonation. If there are black spots its fuel and odds are the smooth base is a black color shopwing to rich.

Once I get these areas along with timing and heat range locked in then I will start cuting threads to look at the fuel ring.
Dave
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Looking at your pictures it is not real clear.. Sometimes pictures like this can be misleading.

When looking at the timing mark look at the strap with a magnified light. Once you see the timing mark take your thumb and wipe the strap clean down to the metal just to varify the mark you see is still the same. The burn mark on the strap metal is the most acurate as it gives the best detail.

The fuel ring will be at the bottom of the porcylyn like stated above but I still look at the smooth base where the pstrap is welded to and the top range of the porcylyn as I am dialing it in. (I dont feel like cutting plugs up until I am close on the tune up) On the smooth base I look for a full color change. Basically a charcoal gray. On the porcyln I use a magnified light just to varify I do not see and signs of pre detonation or fuel spots.

If there are silver specs on the porcyln its a sign of pre detonation. If there are black spots its fuel and odds are the smooth base is a black color shopwing to rich.

Once I get these areas along with timing and heat range locked in then I will start cuting threads to look at the fuel ring.
Dave
exactly how we do it.

Quick Reply: Timing mark on the plug