Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing mark on the plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Looking at your pictures it is not real clear.. Sometimes pictures like this can be misleading.

When looking at the timing mark look at the strap with a magnified light. Once you see the timing mark take your thumb and wipe the strap clean down to the metal just to varify the mark you see is still the same. The burn mark on the strap metal is the most acurate as it gives the best detail.

The fuel ring will be at the bottom of the porcylyn like stated above but I still look at the smooth base where the pstrap is welded to and the top range of the porcylyn as I am dialing it in. (I dont feel like cutting plugs up until I am close on the tune up) On the smooth base I look for a full color change. Basically a charcoal gray. On the porcyln I use a magnified light just to varify I do not see and signs of pre detonation or fuel spots.

If there are silver specs on the porcyln its a sign of pre detonation. If there are black spots its fuel and odds are the smooth base is a black color shopwing to rich.

Once I get these areas along with timing and heat range locked in then I will start cuting threads to look at the fuel ring.
Dave
Thanks for your reply, that helped me out alot.

There were a few plugs that looked like the first picture.. and I accidentally wiped it off with my thumb and sure enough the burn mark turned out to look like #8. I will double check when I get home.

Again, thanks for the description.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
exactly how we do it.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Thanks for your reply, that helped me out alot.

There were a few plugs that looked like the first picture.. and I accidentally wiped it off with my thumb and sure enough the burn mark turned out to look like #8. I will double check when I get home.

Again, thanks for the description.
Just re read my typing.. Man its horrible.lol Atleast you got the point.haha

If you need any one on one help feel free to call me at the shop.
Dave

Quick Reply: Timing mark on the plug