Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous tuning question

What am I looking at when I get a nitrous tune? I have a N.A. tune now. I have an LNC-002 for timing retard. Do I need a bung for a wideband reading or is a tailpipe reader used if I don't have one. Should I wait till I get a WB in & than get it tuned?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rambodog
What am I looking at when I get a nitrous tune? I have a N.A. tune now. I have an LNC-002 for timing retard. Do I need a bung for a wideband reading or is a tailpipe reader used if I don't have one. Should I wait till I get a WB in & than get it tuned?
Since nobody jumped on this one I will take a stab. I'm in the same situation as you are and this is what I'm doing.
1. Get your NA tune 100% spot on.
2. Use the fuel jet to tune for the AF not the wideband (only with wet kit, if dry fuel must be added via tune and you must have the fuel system to do so)
3. Learn how to read plugs, there are several good threads on here how to read plugs and I have a good email I can send you if you will PM me your email address.
4. You can use the LNC-002 to retard the timing but I'm not familiar with that timing elec. I prefer to retard the timing in the actual tune just in case that elec device takes a dump on you during a run. The tune is what it is if commanded at a certain timing so I feel safer with it. (I'm sure many people use this device with success, just not to my liking)
5. Ensure fuel system is up to par, if wet I would upgrade fuel pump, if dry upgrade fuel pump and injectors. Search this forum and you will find the exact combo needed for your specific setup. That's what I did.

That should get you started. If I had once piece of advice to give you that would be most important that would be search and read all you can about Plug Reading. This will clear up alot of your questions and concerns. Good Luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big question you seem to have is on wideband.

With nitrous you want to tune with what the plugs are telling you.

The wideband is going to give you an average of the afr in all 8 cyclinders. Its not going to tell you if you have a lean/rich issue in one cyclinder. The wideband makes a great tool to double check once the tune is dialed in and if you want to keep an eye on everything.

If you need any more help or just a quick question feel free to give me a call anytime.

Graham, Nitrous express
Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Great info there , Thank you.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the advantage of not being a nitrous expert so I’m able to offer a slightly different opinion. With relatively small shots, say, up to 150-hp, there will not be such large cylinder-to-cylinder variations that wideband data can not be trusted. This is especially true of dry shots. The concern about a wideband only providing an “average” reading is dogma spread by guys who run big shots where plug reading is essential. Nitrous beginners should not be starting with 200 shots and should know they can usually trust wideband data. Also, wideband data is a big help when learning to read plugs.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I have the advantage of not being a nitrous expert so I’m able to offer a slightly different opinion. With relatively small shots, say, up to 150-hp, there will not be such large cylinder-to-cylinder variations that wideband data can not be trusted. This is especially true of dry shots. The concern about a wideband only providing an “average” reading is dogma spread by guys who run big shots where plug reading is essential. Nitrous beginners should not be starting with 200 shots and should know they can usually trust wideband data. Also, wideband data is a big help when learning to read plugs.
"I have the advantage of not being a nitrous expert"

"usually trust"

"This is especially true of dry shots"

Some one cuts your food up for you dont they?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Some one cuts your food up for you dont they?
Not yet. Lately I've been smooshing bananas for my granddaughter. I apologize for the old-fashioned way I express myself but if I tried to affect your he-man/hipster/moron style, I would be even more annoying.

Last edited by Gary Z; 06-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I laughed pretty hard when i read the banana part before i read grandaughter.

Just giving you some hell man.

More serious tho. Theirs simply no reason to just trust the wideband. Plug reading even on small shots is a must in my opinion. Many get away with it. Some dont.

I think on people like the op who (no offense at all) no little to nothing, the most conservative idea would be the best.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Plug reading even on small shots is a must in my opinion. Many get away with it. Some dont.
It’s not that I’ve gotten away with not looking at plugs, it's that my plugs don’t show me the information I get from data logging. According to my wideband, my AFR has varied from mid thirteens to low elevens on nitrous shots up to 150-hp. None of my plugs have shown any evidence of extreme conditions. I think the reason I haven’t melted any electrodes is that I have carefully avoided too much timing advance. I follow the two degrees per 50-hp rule. My experience (with small shots) is that timing is much more critical than AFR and that with nitrous, less is better.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary Z
It’s not that I’ve gotten away with not looking at plugs, it's that my plugs don’t show me the information I get from data logging. According to my wideband, my AFR has varied from mid thirteens to low elevens on nitrous shots up to 150-hp. None of my plugs have shown any evidence of extreme conditions. I think the reason I haven’t melted any electrodes is that I have carefully avoided too much timing advance. I follow the two degrees per 50-hp rule. My experience (with small shots) is that timing is much more critical than AFR and that with nitrous, less is better.
Your plugs do show you. They are never wrong.

How are you having such a varience in your afr with small shots?

Are you checking your plugs right after a pass without driving time on them?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
How are you having such a varience in your afr with small shots?
My AFR varied over a wide range while I was dialing in my IFR table after installing larger injectors. I now have it under control. No, I don't pull my plugs at top of the return road because, as I mentioned in another thread, if I don't get back to the booth quickly, the girl won't be able to find my timeslip.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say get the N/A tune where you want it using the wideband. And then tune the nitrous to the plugs, no more wideband. There have been some really good plug reading threads here over the years so search up on it.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

I surrender. Hey Speedy, way to go with the 10.02 and a six-speed. My goal is to squeek into the tens. I love the T-56 even more than nitrous.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. It is a challenge for sure but thats what makes it so cool.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Here is a basic article on readig plugs http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html .

As stated above i'd get the motor AFR tuned out correctly then start on the nitorus tune looking at the plugs. On the wideband though when spraying nitrous you want the AFR from 11.6-11.8.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
Here is a basic article on readig plugs http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html .

As stated above i'd get the motor AFR tuned out correctly then start on the nitorus tune looking at the plugs. On the wideband though when spraying nitrous you want the AFR from 11.6-11.8.
Thanks for the link . Carter01 sent me that one also.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
On the wideband though when spraying nitrous you want the AFR from 11.6-11.8.
?????
Attached Thumbnails Nitrous tuning question-motor-tune.jpg   Nitrous tuning question-nitrous-tune.jpg