Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what HP levels do lean rear cylinders start showing up at?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dferg99
Now when you say pull the plugs do you mean after making a FULL pass just stop the car at the end of the track and pull the plugs or can i do a few seconds on the nitrous then pull them to check the plugs
400' or so should be enough to show you something.
Just remeber no run time once you shut it off at WOT.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey ATV is that your motor? If it is, where are the injector bungs for it or is it going to be carb'd instead?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Hey ATV is that your motor? If it is, where are the injector bungs for it or is it going to be carb'd instead?
Not my motor.
That is off of Kurt Urbans website.

I dont ever going to a carb.
DRY fuel injected nitrous set up is the greatest. LOL
Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the link
Do you think 3AN lines are enough, or are you using 4 for your setups?
I know some places I can get the fittings to put one back on. I just hate pulling all the crap to get the intake off
I've been hoping to call and place an order with one of our sponsors for 3 days now, but every time I pick up the phone, someone comes in here and wants me to do something (<---at work, I hate dayshifts ).
Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Thanks for the link
Do you think 3AN lines are enough, or are you using 4 for your setups?
I know some places I can get the fittings to put one back on. I just hate pulling all the crap to get the intake off
I've been hoping to call and place an order with one of our sponsors for 3 days now, but every time I pick up the phone, someone comes in here and wants me to do something (<---at work, I hate dayshifts ).
We had an LS1 crossover last year.
Not sure if the 3an stuff would be better or not but we had issues with 7 & 8 last year even with the crossover.

Trying something different this year for coolant flow but we will still be using a LS1 crossover or the 3an lines, not sure which yet.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

According to that website you linked, the water line adapters come tapped for 1/8"npt fittings, so I guess we would already be above that with a 3AN (3/16") line. It was worth asking though I think, it got me to google it lol.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

This is what we used the last 2 years.....

Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you run a Fast intake then what would you recommend
Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Get the fittings from Kurt and make your own 3an set up is what I would do.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

forgive me for my ignorance, what will the extra coolant tubes to the rear pf the head help do? obvi for cooling but why tho?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
When you get serious about nitrous and tuning just keep an eye on those all the time.

#8 is always the 1st plug we pull, we pull all 8 every pass.
Originally Posted by NitrousExpress

This says a lot.

How many people here have a tune they think is dialed in at the same level of ATV?
(Stalked a few of your posts here and on bullet ) And he still pulls ALL 8 plugs on EVERY pass. This just isnt something you can not do and hope for the best. This can save your motor and make you faster. No reason not too.
What can I say about Wayne that hasn't already been said? I think granny put it best on the bullet so there nothing really left to say. Wayne isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but without a doubt he is still a tool.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM
8 Second Club

Hopefully you re-use them. If not, between spray and 8 plugs every pass, that'd be like $30 per run!

I really understand the logic of pulling them, but I wouldn't understand only using them for a pass or two.
That $16 for the plugs is the cheapest protection you can get. It would be foolish to trash a $30k motor over a $16 set of plugs. At the level ATV is at $30 a run ain't much. You would be surprised what it takes to run that car at a race.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheGovernorZ06
forgive me for my ignorance, what will the extra coolant tubes to the rear pf the head help do? obvi for cooling but why tho?
Thats all it does it help cool those rear cylinders off. If it can drop the water temp just a little bit that will help a great deal in helping keep those cylinder temps the same as the rest of the motor. I have -4 line on all mine going back to the radiator.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMITH
That $16 for the plugs is the cheapest protection you can get. It would be foolish to trash a $30k motor over a $16 set of plugs. At the level ATV is at $30 a run ain't much. You would be surprised what it takes to run that car at a race.
I don't deny that one bit, but it just seems to me I've never heard of forced induction guys pulling every plug after every run (perhaps I just haven't researched that enough though). I couldn't even imagine pulling plugs ONCE around some of the turbo manifolds I see on some members cars! At ~2.5# of n2o every run (anywhere from $2.50-$10/lb depending on location and availability) plus what could easily surmount to almost $100 in plugs per test-n-tune day, the cost effectiveness of nitrous over a forced induction setup seems like it drops off quickly.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
400' or so should be enough to show you something.
Just remeber no run time once you shut it off at WOT.
Hey ATV, quick question on this.
I had read something in my searches about it not being all that great on automatic trannies to go from full throttle at the end of a run to just up and kill the flow/cooling to a transmission, which is what we do when killing it at the end of the run. It was a side topic in a thread about shifting into neutral at the end of the run (I guess a big no-no due to over-revving the drum) Any thoughts/feedback?
Also, with my current tire/gearing, I think for actual 1/4 mile time runs, I might have to use 4th (not 100% sure yet). Since I wouldn't be spraying in 4th, I cannot use the plugs from those runs for fine tuning, correct? Since the last second or so will be WOT N/A.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

I don't deny that one bit, but it just seems to me I've never heard of forced induction guys pulling every plug after every run (perhaps I just haven't researched that enough though). I couldn't even imagine pulling plugs ONCE around some of the turbo manifolds I see on some members cars! At ~2.5# of n2o every run (anywhere from $2.50-$10/lb depending on location and availability) plus what could easily surmount to almost $100 in plugs per test-n-tune day, the cost effectiveness of nitrous over a forced induction setup seems like it drops off quickly.
You are not as likely to burn a piston or a plug with a turbo or blower as you are with nitrous. I usually run my plugs for 2-3 passes but check them every pass. If we are out in left field with the tune up I will throw them away every pass till its right.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not as likely to burn a piston or a plug with a turbo or blower as you are with nitrous. I usually run my plugs for 2-3 passes but check them every pass. If we are out in left field with the tune up I will throw them away every pass till its right.
How do you check them after every run and then reuse them? Isn't it proper practice to read the plug only after it has been cut open?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
How do you check them after every run and then reuse them? Isn't it proper practice to read the plug only after it has been cut open?
I have a 10x lighted magnifying glass I use to check them out. Cutting them may be the best but that would make them useless and its time consuming at the track between rounds. I really have no clue as to what I'm doing anyway which is why I'm still slow.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 10x lighted magnifying glass I use to check them out. Cutting them may be the best but that would make them useless and its time consuming at the track between rounds. I really have no clue as to what I'm doing anyway which is why I'm still slow.
I'll believe that last line when tires stop being round
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I don't believe anyone in this thread so far is slow lol
I'm still soaking all of this up. I got some addons ordered for my bottle and heater, B8EFS's, and ordered those coolant fittings from Kurt Urban Performance. I'm gonna pipe it up with 1/4" S.S. tubing. Hopefully that'll help those back two cylinders stay cool.
As soon as I get off this overtime stretch, I'm gonna get it all installed, grab some 110 for the standalone, and head for the nearest test-and-tune.
However if I have the same tranny issues I had back in 2006, it'll be another slow year
It'll be a serious buzzkill if I have to come up with another $600-900 for a professional re-tune.