Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean spike when spray hits

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lean spike when spray hits

Working on an 02 z28 cam only car with the Racetronics pump and wiring kit and an NOS plate jetted at only 100hp. Spray is delayed 1 sec ater launch. When spray hits afr spikes to 20:1. Obviously car nose dives then runs out great with afr of 11.8to 12.0 for the rest of the pass. This happens every time I try to spray it. I dont have FP guage in car but at idle I have 63psi.
I do my own pcm tuning and on launch on motor alone I have a small lean spike around 3000rpm, exactly where the spray goes lean. I have added 20% more fuel to the fuel tables with no response so I suspect a fuel delivery problem. Could it be the in tank regulator causing this? Do I just need to go with a stand alone fuel system? I have tuned carbed BBC's for years so I am not new to nitrous at all. Any help is appreciated. This thing hasnt been dynoed but runs 11.60 in quater on motor at 118mph.

Last edited by nitrousjunky; 07-11-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Make the fuel line shorter going to the plate
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KH504
Make the fuel line shorter going to the plate
There is a12" line from the rail to the fuel solinoid then a 18" line from the fuel solinoid to the plate. There is also a 18" line from the nitrous solinoid to the plate. I can see where a longer line from the nitrous line would help a little but would it fix a 20:1 lean spike? The car falls flat on its *** like you let all the way off the throttle then runs like it should.
Im still thinkin fuel delivery problem since I have this problem to a much smaller extent on motor alone. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a fuel pressure gage on it and you will probably see pressure is dropping... how old is the fuel filter? Maybe the install of the racetronix pump isn't correct? If you have a lean spike on motor, something is wrong...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of power is the car making?

The racetronix kit properly installed is good for about 650HP rear wheel. Like stated above you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car to problem solve correctly.. If the filter is old change it. I have seen a dirty filter cause alot of problems.
Dave
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Set up your tuning tool for logging FP??
Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Set up your tuning tool for logging FP??
cant do it, you have to buy an electric pressure sender(? cant think of the right words) installed on the fuel rail and then wire it up to a 5volt source etc and create a code to log it in. I wish it was a little easier
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
Working on an 02 z28 cam only car with the Racetronics pump and wiring kit and an NOS plate jetted at only 100hp. Spray is delayed 1 sec ater launch. When spray hits afr spikes to 20:1. Obviously car nose dives then runs out great with afr of 11.8to 12.0 for the rest of the pass. This happens every time I try to spray it. I dont have FP guage in car but at idle I have 63psi.
I do my own pcm tuning and on launch on motor alone I have a small lean spike around 3000rpm, exactly where the spray goes lean. I have added 20% more fuel to the fuel tables with no response so I suspect a fuel delivery problem. Could it be the in tank regulator causing this? Do I just need to go with a stand alone fuel system? I have tuned carbed BBC's for years so I am not new to nitrous at all. Any help is appreciated. This thing hasnt been dynoed but runs 11.60 in quater on motor at 118mph.
It's Good idea and anytime ur pullin fuel off the rail for a wet shot I would recommend no matter what jet..

Convert it to a return system.
FP gauge
FP Safety switch
Dual pumps

JMO, Good luck
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem as you and my tuner told me to shorten up my fuel line, but leave my nitrous line longer...I did this, and it fixed the problem...I also am a cam only car with a racetronix fuel kit.

to give you a idea, my N20 line coming out of the solonoid is 12". My fuel line going into the plate it 5". Also what seemed to help with the lean spike alot was having a small n20 solonoid, and a larger fuel solonoid.

that gives you a general idea what im talking about. My lines are routed cleaner now, but they are all this mounted the same.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here goes: Fuel filter is new. I installed a #120 jet on the fuel side and sprayed this into a jug. While activating the solinoid and reving tha car at the same time the fuel pressure only blipped 5psi. I am not thinking fuel supply problem anymore. I have a theory that when I launch my car on the motor it bogs because it only flashes to 2400rpm. I am thinking that bog causes the lean spike. When I am spraying I use a time delay spraying about 1 sec out of the gate because I still have the 10 bolt rear. All along I have been thowing more fuel at it to cure some thing that couldnt be cured. I thiink I have too much fuel making it misfire showing a false lean condition on the wideband. I have retuned the fuel tables at low rpm and now the car is definitely more responsive.
Am I on to something here or do you think I am way off track? BTW I have a 3600 stall I plan on installing soon.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
There is a12" line from the rail to the fuel solinoid then a 18" line from the fuel solinoid to the plate. There is also a 18" line from the nitrous solinoid to the plate. I can see where a longer line from the nitrous line would help a little but would it fix a 20:1 lean spike? The car falls flat on its *** like you let all the way off the throttle then runs like it should.
Im still thinkin fuel delivery problem since I have this problem to a much smaller extent on motor alone. Thanks for the reply.
Put the 12" line from solinoid to the plate and see if that helps.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by KH504
Put the 12" line from solinoid to the plate and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Lean spike when spray hits