Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experts tell me about my plugs. 1st 200 shot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experts tell me about my plugs. 1st 200 shot.

How do these look? I was running a 150 shot. I am going to a 200 shot now. I did a few test runs today. I ran 2 hard runs shutting the car off at the end of run. Plugs I am showing you are out of number 7 and number four. I only had a few new plugs so I picked those cylinders. I am running timing at 18 at WOT. Nitrous jet 78 and fuel 45. Can some of the expert plug readers tell me what you think. It felt great and my log looked good. Just not that great at reading these yet. Might need to pull more timing?? Here are some pics.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFB
How do these look? I was running a 150 shot. I am going to a 200 shot now. I did a few test runs today. I ran 2 hard runs shutting the car off at the end of run. Plugs I am showing you are out of number 7 and number four. I only had a few new plugs so I picked those cylinders. I am running timing at 18 at WOT. Nitrous jet 78 and fuel 45. Can some of the expert plug readers tell me what you think. It felt great and my log looked good. Just not that great at reading these yet. Might need to pull more timing?? Here are some pics.
Where are the pics? Pull number 8 also so we can see the other side of the motor is looking like. You are running 18 degrees but from where? 26*? 28*?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I was running 22 at wot on a 150 shot. I am sorry I didnt pull number 8. I have a number 4 from pass side and a 7 from drivers side. It is at 18 total at WOT on my HPT
Old 08-01-2010, 04:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dead rich a too much timing, like I expected before even seeing the pics

It probably needs around a 40 fuel jet or so but I wouldnt start there, Id start at a 42 and take 2 or 3 more degrees out of it and try again
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Looks rich and take a degree of timming out or 2. What plugs are those and what #
Get that set up first before you even go to a 200.

I would def get a #8 colder plugs in there for the 200 shot. Like quoted above need to see the rear #8 plug the back to run the hottest. Where did you pull your time from. What was your na base.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

I am running a b8ef plug .. The car was tuned and set up good for the 150 when it was in MO. I am sorry that I dont have a # 8 PLUG. Like I said I only had a couple new plugs so I picked teh cylinders I could get at easy? I have ran this on the strip with these plugs and a 150 shot and thats what it was tuned for. Never had any problems? This was the first time with the 200 shot. So maybe take a couple more degrees out and a little less fuel. I am not the best at tuning yet so I pulled 5 degrees out of the high and low tables just to try this. Am I on the wrong track??
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFB
I am running a b8ef plug .. The car was tuned and set up good for the 150 when it was in MO. I am sorry that I dont have a # 8 PLUG. Like I said I only had a couple new plugs so I picked teh cylinders I could get at easy? I have ran this on the strip with these plugs and a 150 shot and thats what it was tuned for. Never had any problems? This was the first time with the 200 shot. So maybe take a couple more degrees out and a little less fuel. I am not the best at tuning yet so I pulled 5 degrees out of the high and low tables just to try this. Am I on the wrong track??

I think you'll be fine pulling a a few degrees of timing out, and going down to a 40. Everyone has their own wy to get to the same end result.

Any chance you're on a dedicated cell?

Also, if you haven't already, you may want to look at copying/pasting the high to the low octane tables. This will keep the pcm from cycling between the tables.

Where are you at in ND? I'm down in Rapid City.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
dead rich a too much timing, like I expected before even seeing the pics

It probably needs around a 40 fuel jet or so but I wouldnt start there, Id start at a 42 and take 2 or 3 more degrees out of it and try again
LOL... I said the same thing before I opened the thread "bet its rich with to much timing"

As rich as that is it might need more than 3* out when the tune is clean.

What Cam suggested is a great start..... afterall he is the "expert"
Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

No I am not running a dedicated fuel cell. I will pull some timing 2 degrees and get a 42 jet on the fuel side and post some pics of the plugs. I will also get the number 8 hole for you. I really want to thank everyone for your input. ATV and CAMSCAM02 you guys really seem to know your stuff so I will take your advice all day long. My tables are the same low and high by the way. Any other input is apperciated.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Edit: Nevermind

Listen to these guys on here. They will get you running in the right direction.

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 08-01-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

I am not sure what you mean. My car was tuned for a 150 shot when I got it. I am not sure on how to read all the tables correct yet. When it was WOT it was at 22 degrees. Before I pulled 5 degrees for this 200 shot. I pulled 5 degrees from the whole table low and high. I hate to sound dumb but I am to this HPT stuff I am trying to learn it?? Sorry
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

You need to log your runs. Every one of them. This will tell you stuff like, if you are getting commanded spark.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

I do log every run. ?? I just watch what the timing is is at? How do I tell the commanded timing????
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Having a hard time following what you did... in one place you say you pulled 5* from 22* (which would be 17*), but in another place you say it is at 18* total... either way, the plugs in the pic above have too much timing and too rich as the others said.

Also, I always copy the high octane numbers to the "base spark in gear" and "base spark in park/neutral" tables in addition to the low octane as said above - I have seen TH400 transplants go to these tables at WOT at times (think it was a wiring issue with the neutral safety switch)... better safe than sorry!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I am sorry if I am confusing people. When I would scan before I was at 22 degrees at WOT spraying a 150. Many bottles went through this car. I wanted to push my luck and go to a 200 so I went to the high and low tables and pulled -5 out of them. Like I said before I bought the car tuned for the 150 shot I bought the car out of srpingfield MO. that is where it was tuned. I thought if I could pull 5 out I would be ok. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I have a log with HP Tuners if that helps...?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
LOL... I said the same thing before I opened the thread "bet its rich with to much timing"

As rich as that is it might need more than 3* out when the tune is clean.

What Cam suggested is a great start..... afterall he is the "expert"
Hahaha I'm an "expert" in many things, well atleast in my own mind. I don't think he'll ever get to a "clean" tuneup as you and me would like it. If I suggested what I would have actually done if I was tuning that car many people would be lost/confused excet a few so were keeping simple.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe I missed what was your AF on the run. Do you have a wideband in the car if not get one before you go on. Also you said the car was tunned before you got it on a 150 shot. So do you know who tunned it before you .
camscam and ATV are nice guys man.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

I have no idea who tuned it in MO. The car was out of springfield. He said it was tuned by a very good tuner from down there? I have a wideband on the car. It worked great when I was spraying the 150 shot. Today it was kinda acting dumb it would go all over the board when I was just cruisin? I dont know if I need a new sensor or what I have had it for a few years on different cars. I guess I should get a new one before I go any further. I can tell by reading their posts ATV and CAM they seem like very smart and nice people. Just looking for advice on what direction to go. I am going to be racing in SD on the 20-21 of this month so want to get it straight before then. If not I will just go back to the 150. But I would love to get this dialed in!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others said, it is pretty fat and overtimed.

Whenever you lean it out you need to pull timing. Not just with your overtimed condition either. Even if your timing mark was spot on, if the fuel ring is that dark you ned to pull more timing when you lean it out.

If it were mine I'd start off by pulling about 4 degrees and putting a 40 jet in it. That should get you alot closer to where you want to be. If you are doing this at a track then keep an eye on your MPH, I'll bet it goes up as long as your bottle pressure stays the same.

Speaking of, what PSI do you spray at?

Quick Reply: Experts tell me about my plugs. 1st 200 shot.