Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size dry jets? getting mixed info

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size dry jets? getting mixed info

Im new to the nitrous game. This is my first setup and im just doin a dry shot into the lid with a nozzle on each side. I pulled 2 degrees of timing and swapped to TR6 plugs. Have a racetronics pump and stock injectors. Descreened MAF also. idk if this setup is ok bu thats why im asking.

Its a used NOS kit and all i got was a 20 and a 24 jet in the kit. So thats what i have in there right now.

Well i have checked the stickies and NOS website and a few other forums and im seeing all kinds of answers.

NOS dry kits are supp. rated at flywheel HP. So if i jet it with .032 jets thats 125 Flywheel HP which equals like 110 WHP maybe.

I dont know how big i can go. i ordered .036 jets that will be here today i just would like a little clarity. The way i figures it thats a 150 shot but to the wheels will be about 125.

Anybody running this type of setup? Id like some advice on my setup maybe some does and donts.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume since you said you have one nozzle in each side of the lid you've got something like the 5177 kit?

Those jets that you currently have are TINY. Here's the NOS suggested starting points for that kit:

75HP 28N
85HP 30N
100HP 32N

I'd say a .036 MIGHT be close to 125 horse....

Also, throw in a set of non projected plugs instead of those TR6's
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Non projected plug? i just bought those TR6 plugs cause ive read everywhere there a good nitrous plug. Apparently i dont know the diffrence?

And i look right at that scale in the sticky and then i went to that jet calculator thats in there also and it was coming up with something different.

I assume its the 5177 but like i said it was used but and he didnt know what it was.

I thought they were small but i can feel it come on even with the small jets.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

also im running a good pump but stock injectors. Im still unsure if i need injectors. Its a very small cam and stock 243 heads.

Spraying before the MAF corrects the fuel through the computer but will the stock injectors do enough?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

What calculator are you looking at? Are you sure it is taking into account that you are using two nozzles?

Either a BR6EF(under 100 nitrous HP) or BR7EF(under 175 nitrous HP) is a better plug for nitrous.

I would upgrade the injectors as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a good read on the projected tip vs. non-projected tip issue.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ted-plugs.html
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan is giving you sound advice. I dont even use the NOS jetting bacuse it is fly wheel hp.

If you wanted rear wheel hp do this.

70HP= 31 jet each nozzle
100HP= 35 jet each nozzle
150HP= 41 jet each nozzle.

Either will work just fine. Either go off what Ryan suggested for flye wheel hp or off what I have suggested.

Like Ryan said you need to take into account the injectors. What is the current duty cycle on them N/A

Also get rid of the TR6 and swap to the BR7EF. Alot of us used the TR^ for many years only because we did not have a non projected tip plug to use. NGK makes one now so it is a wiser decision to use it.

Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

What can I say... I like to be conservative on other people's tune ups at first.

BTW (and completely unrelated) Dave/Ray/Whoever is manning the NO SN now, it's Ray (sn is first initial and last name - creative right).
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Im looking at the calculator in the sticky.

http://www.robietherobot.com/NitrousJetCalculator.htm

So the non projected plugs lower temps in the chamber if i read that right?

Im only running maybe a 125 shot and only at the track so im thinking my TR6 plugs will be ok. But if im doing that you think a 7 non projected would be a safer plug. but im gonna be losing a bit from running a cold plug NA on the street?

Its got 178k miles on it so who knows how long its gonna last. haha
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
What can I say... I like to be conservative on other people's tune ups at first.

BTW (and completely unrelated) Dave/Ray/Whoever is manning the NO SN now, it's Ray (sn is first initial and last name - creative right).
This is Dave and I am lost...haha
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

well i didnt know it was FW hp when i got the kit it was just a deal i couldnt pass on. thats why i bought it. also went ahead and ordered the.036 jets casue i figured that would be close to 100 to 110 WHP.

Also very good read on the plugs ryarbrough.

And i just put those new plugs in last night! haha damn looks like im gonna be getting cut up again changing more plugs
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C

Im only running maybe a 125 shot and only at the track so im thinking my TR6 plugs will be ok. But if im doing that you think a 7 non projected would be a safer plug. but im gonna be losing a bit from running a cold plug NA on the street?

Think about in in this manner.

With nitrous the combustion process is more violent than N/A and mild boosted applications. The goal is to get the heat off the plug and out of the cylinder as quick as possible. This is to prevent what people call the glow plug affect.(over heating the strap on the plug)

The heat travels from the strap to the base off the plug and then bleeds out into the cylinder head dissipating the heat for the water flowing through the head to cool.

The shorter the strap (closer the the base) the quicker you can dissipate the heat.

A non projected tip plug does not project as far out from the plug therefore bleeding off the heat much faster and being best for nitrous or large boosted applications.

Plugs are cheap..... Get the right plug for the job.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

A non projected tip plug keeps the plug from turning into a torch/burning off ground straps. It keeps detonation at bay. I would rather see a BR7 in your car, and I'll guarantee that you won't loose enough NA to notice it.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

well i didnt know it was FW hp when i got the kit it was just a deal i couldnt pass on. thats why i bought it. also went ahead and ordered the.036 jets casue i figured that would be close to 100 to 110 WHP.

Also very good read on the plugs ryarbrough.

And i just put those new plugs in last night! haha damn looks like im gonna be getting cut up again changing more plugs
Does not matter. Jetting is nothing more than an estimated suggestion for a starting point. Horse power is just a jet change away.
Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

well ill get some br7 plugs then and order some bigger jets. maybe look into a bigger set of injectors to since i sure my stockers are close to the limit
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

You guys did a great job of explaining some stuff i was curious about. I appreciate all the help. Ill be a frequent in this section now. Im trying to see how fast i can go on stock suspension and a 245 DR. still on the ole 10 bolt tho. haha think ill see 10s?

I vote one new mod in this section ryarbrough.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Good luck on nailing those new goals. Let us know if I can help in any way.
Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Actually theres another question. Im only running a WOT switch to activate the system. Ive been looking for a controller maybe to lock out first to save my 10bolt and install an window switch say from 2500 to 5900. any controller to do that?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys did a great job of explaining some stuff i was curious about. I appreciate all the help. Ill be a frequent in this section now. Im trying to see how fast i can go on stock suspension and a 245 DR. still on the ole 10 bolt tho. haha think ill see 10s?

I vote one new mod in this section ryarbrough.
LOL... Mine went 10.08 on a 10-bolt and the only front or rear suspension upgrade was lca's (no relocation brackets, everything else stock, 60k mile decarbons).... I had a 275/60 on the rear, a built motor, and a little more nitrous though.

Next pass, I broke it increasing the launch RPM high enough to engage the window switch and launch on th bottle.

She'll hopefully be back soon and now has full suspension, more juice, and a few other special upgrades
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually theres another question. Im only running a WOT switch to activate the system. Ive been looking for a controller maybe to lock out first to save my 10bolt and install an window switch say from 2500 to 5900. any controller to do that?
Nitrous Outlet has one. I use their controller that uses TPS and RPM to control upto two stages (pretty sure it's an older unit though, yall may have upgraded some stuff in it). That box has the option to lock gears out that you are looking for. Simple and easy to operate. I'm sure Dave will chime in on it.