Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct port fueling ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct port fueling ?

Im going to be running a direct port set up and want some opions on were to get my fuel from? My first idea was just get it frome the rail since it worked for my single nozzel on 175, or should i get a dedicated fuel cell like the nitrous outlet one and if i do what are the advantages of having it over feeding off the fuel rail and i plan to run a 200 on the direct port.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With only a 200 shot pulling from the rail is still an option.

Here are the advantages to a stand alone fuel cell:

1) Your fuel system will no longer need to provide fueling for the nitrous fuel enrichment.

2) You will be able to run High octane fuel in the cell. This allows for more timing (power) and added safety.

3) Tuning is easier IMO. You have a separate regulator to make fine fueling adjustments with increasing/decreasing fuel pressure. Also again the higher octane fuel will add some safety margin, especially important on stock pistons.

4) Low pressure allows for larger fuel jets. Less chance of clogging, especially on small shots with a direct port where the fuel jets can be very small.

A few company's make stand alone's setups. NX included. Feel free to PM me or call if you need anything.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Get a standalone if you have a dedicated like stated above its easier to tune and added insurance.
If you did do it off the fuel rail then you would have to wire two pumps up or add another pump in line then you are risking leaning out the fuel rail.

You are better off doing a dedicated from NitrousOutlet, OR NX then put the 200 pills in and start tunning. If you do a dedicated fuel cell make sure you do low pressure regualtor and get jets for your direct port for low pressure fueling.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok so who all makes them that are bolt in for a fbody and what would you recomend cause it wont ever go over 200 and could i do my stand alone in E85 or is that a bad idea i just know its alot cheaper than 110 octane
Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Nitrous outlet has them thats what I run. It they have the one that bolts where your battery goes and one that replaces the fuse boxes.

I wouldnt run E85 unless you know what you are doing and can tune E85 is not for novice person to be using. Just get some 110 or 109 you wont use a whole lot unless your racing all the time. I just get a 5 gal gas can and keep it in my garage. the cell holds I think 2 gallons
In your tank in the car run 93 or 94 is what a gas station carries here.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brokenbird
ok so who all makes them that are bolt in for a fbody and what would you recomend cause it wont ever go over 200 and could i do my stand alone in E85 or is that a bad idea i just know its alot cheaper than 110 octane
I know that we and also nitrous outlet do. Not sure who else makes them for the fbody.

At a 200 shot, its a good idea to have one. Remember, its not just a safety item, you should also make a little more power due to less timing retard on a given shot.

Yes you can fill a stand alone with e85 as long as the pump will support the volume. Its definitely better than regular pump. It can make plug reading ( As far as fueling adjustments ) more difficult but other than that is the system will support it your just fine.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fueling a direct port is a bit different than fueling a nozzle or plate system. In most cases the cars fuel system can not support the sudden demand of filling all the lines, blocks and hoses etc. What happens is you end up with a lean spike while the system tries to recover from the fuel solenoid draining the fuel rails.

I would suggest looking at our dedicated fuel system. We are the ones that created the all in one design a few companies are building knock offs of now days.

We build vehicle specific systems that just bolt in. I assume you have an LT1 F-body by your sig and your post.

If thats the case we have one option for sure and maybe two.

First option is our Battery replacement. This unit mounts in the factory battery tray and your battery hold down clamp bolts the tank down. You have to relocate the battery to the back of the car.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...86&product=927

The other option would go righjt beside the radiator on the core support and you would have to have something other than the typical cold air that goes down through the drivers side fender. You would need to let us know what its for so we could drop the mounting bracket for the LT1.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...86&product=945

Same tank but plastic molding.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...9&product=4132

Dave
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brokenbird
Im going to be running a direct port set up and want some opions on were to get my fuel from? My first idea was just get it frome the rail since it worked for my single nozzel on 175, or should i get a dedicated fuel cell like the nitrous outlet one and if i do what are the advantages of having it over feeding off the fuel rail and i plan to run a 200 on the direct port.
I ran a NX direct port on my old 346. I ran the fuel side off the stock fuel rail and a 250rwhp shot with no issues ever. I had a 255lph pump in it and that was it. I just didn't have the money for a stand alone at the time. I would recommend one of course but at a 200hp shot you should be fine.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NXZ28
I ran a NX direct port on my old 346. I ran the fuel side off the stock fuel rail and a 250rwhp shot with no issues ever. I had a 255lph pump in it and that was it. I just didn't have the money for a stand alone at the time. I would recommend one of course but at a 200hp shot you should be fine.
I have also been able to on a few applications but I have also had issues trying it with very similiar set ups.
Kind of a 50 50 thing as long as your are not over extending the HP range of the fuel system.
Dave
Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

how much fuel do they hold and yes its on a lt1 and its only going to a 200 shot cause its a hidden kit on the unders side of the manifold