Sponsored by:

Help! Nitrous leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Nitrous leak.

Crap, here is my situation.

Get both my 10 lb. Nitrous bottle and 3000 psi NANO bottle filled.

Connect bottles up, and have both closed. I start the car, and open my nitrous bottle. I hear it pressurize, and the revs start climbing quickly! I shut the bottle off, but the revs kept going a bit, so I quickly shut the car off.

Made sure my nitrous bottle was closed, and the system was not armed (it wasn't), and started my car. Car revs spiked to about where they were when I shut the car off, and went back to normal.

What the hell... I have no idea where to start with this one. Any insight? This is my first nitrous kit. To re-iterate, I made 300% sure before I started anything that my NANO was closed.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

There isn't enough info to make a good judgement.

Can you give some details on the setup?
How are the lines hooked to the noids?
how did you wire the noids into the system?
Are you using a micro switch or a Window Switch?

Basically needing a run down on the entire install and setup please.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous solenoid stuck partially open. Even when you shut off the bottle there was still nitrous in the line looking for the quickest way out and that is why it still wanted to rev high with it off until all the nitrous had left.

My guess
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Using a window switch (we went through it twice to make sure all the settings were correct, with TPS voltage and what not). Jetted for a 150 shot.

Hope these pictures shed a little light on it. I didn't wire it up myself, but I'm the one who has to figure out the problem :/
Attached Thumbnails Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0082.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0083.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0084.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0085.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0087.jpg  

Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0088.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0089.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0090.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0091.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0092.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Also, to note, this will get cleaned up later, this is a test fit to make sure the system works.

Originally Posted by camscam02
Nitrous solenoid stuck partially open. Even when you shut off the bottle there was still nitrous in the line looking for the quickest way out and that is why it still wanted to rev high with it off until all the nitrous had left.

My guess
That's kind of what was on my mind, but hoping it wasn't Any good way to test if this is the case?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0093.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0094.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0095.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0096.jpg   Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0098.jpg  

Help! Nitrous leak.-imag0100.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Just wanted to get some info before makeing a call on the problem and i thank you for posting pics and giving the info.

The noids are hooked up correctly and you are using a filter. Other than maybe something in the wiring more than likely there might be a piece of trash that got into the line when you were running the feed line or some way like that.

Here is a link that will walk you thorugh taking the noids apart. [ if you dont have a noid wrench then you will have to double nut the nitrous noid once you have removed the cap ]
http://www.nitroustech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1933
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

When I go to take this solenoid apart, am I looking to find trash in there?

Or am I looking for something in the feed line?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the first time ever using the system? with the key off and the nitrous line off the plate open your bottle and see if it sprays, then turn the key on, and then turn on the arm switch, this will tell you if it is wiring or nitrous solenoid.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
Is this the first time ever using the system? with the key off and the nitrous line off the plate open your bottle and see if it sprays, then turn the key on, and then turn on the arm switch, this will tell you if it is wiring or nitrous solenoid.
It hasn't been run successfully yet. I was able to purge a few times when we set it up with a half empty bottle, but when I topped everything off for the dry run, this was the result. And thank you, I will try out what you said as soon as I get the chance
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turn the car off and open the bottle, listen to the nitrous noid and see if you hear anything. personally id disconnect the nitrous line running to the plate before i tried it so it didnt spray into the motor.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Over pressurized bottle

Bad Noid

Trash in noid

You may have just been VERY LUCKY turning the car off and restarting after bottle was turned off. Any N2O in the line that leaked into the intake could have caused a N2O explosion

Buy a Lottery ticket
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doug G
Over pressurized bottle

Bad Noid

Trash in noid

You may have just been VERY LUCKY turning the car off and restarting after bottle was turned off. Any N2O in the line that leaked into the intake could have caused a N2O explosion

Buy a Lottery ticket
Just to update, turns out the solenoid was stuck open. It's also possible that it was stuck closed at different times which might explain some of the problems I was having with it not firing.

I was VERY quick to shut the bottle off when the REVs started climbing. Also, I had it just been cracked open, didn't go crazy with it. What I did do though was see the RPMs stay around the 3,000 mark for a few seconds before I shut the car off. Intake bolts didn't back themselves out and I still have very good vacuum pressure, so I do consider myself lucky
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Did you find any trash on the piston??

The only way a solenoid will stick open is

1. Trash on piston
2. Wiring problem
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
Did you find any trash on the piston??

The only way a solenoid will stick open is

1. Trash on piston
2. Wiring problem
Yep, sorry, I forgot to add the part that mattered in my above post lol.

A piece of o-ring from my nitrous filter came apart. I don't have a good explanation for why it did that, but that's what fell out of the solenoid.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Ahhhh i see. You have your car over @ Top Gear Motorsports correct?

I've been in talks with Sean and we have got you squared away and a new filter is on it's way to you.

Quick Reply: Help! Nitrous leak.