Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to pull timimg???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to pull timimg???

What product do you or would you use. Some say MSD timimg twister,,HSW microedge tuner,,Lingenfelter LNC-002,, Some say you don't need to pull ANY timimg on a small ==100-125 shot. My PCM has a nitrous tune in it and she is a little lazy N/A so I want to purchase a good mail-order tune for N/A with my mods and then pull timimg when I want to spray it. What is the best/economicalway to do it???? I am only going to pull timing so I don't need any other requirements at this time. I thought about the Frost dual PCM one side for spray and one for N/A motor but very expensive and probably not the way to go for my application. I want the spray available if I need it on runs thru Mexico so when I activate the switch its safe to spray it. Opinions please.
timing not timimg......

Last edited by Footlead; 10-16-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...r-options.html
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there are a lot of good options... all of the methods you mentioned above are good options..
even something just as simple as a resistor to tell the PCM that your IAT's are really high and then use the IAT spark table to pull timing...

theres also the options of a completely different PCM/ECM with integrated Nitrous controls....the Holley EFI stuff Like I'm using, or the FAST XFI stuff like a buddy of mine uses.

all depends on how much money you are willing to spend
Old 10-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Default Timing

Well i was thinking the easiest most economical sure way to do it. Simple and cost friendly is my friend.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

lingenfelter 003 2 step
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Footlead
Well i was thinking the easiest most economical sure way to do it. Simple and cost friendly is my friend.
Tune with efi live,im getting my tune shortly and you can run 2 tunes in the 1 pcm, na tune then flick a switch that changes to a nitrous map.Saves buying a controller and stuffing with wiring.Happy days
Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LNC for timing retard

The Lingenfelter LNC-003 doesn't have a timing retard feature (it has two RPM limit settings instead).

For timing retard you want the LNC-2000.

Originally Posted by shortyb72
lingenfelter 003 2 step
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Footlead
I want to purchase a good mail-order tune for N/A
Would start by getting a real tune. Mail order is all guess work.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote for the lingenfelter unit. It plugs into the main wiring of the coil packs and wire up the trigger wire.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Efi live cos
Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 AM
On The Tree

LNC-2000 here. Simple and reliable.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gregrob
Efi live cos
Op said simple and cost effective. EFIlive costs more than a lingenfelter unit and is not something you can just plug in, set it and go.

Although, I would like to learn how to play with the tune in my car, so in the future I would purchase EFIlive or HPtuners.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default EFILive

The EFILive nitrous mode operating system that allows you to wire to the E85 sensor in the ECM on the E38 and E67 ECM's and have a nitrous timing curve when the nitrous triggers (and activated that pin on the ECM) works very well. We have used it on several cars.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Op said simple and cost effective. EFIlive costs more than a lingenfelter unit and is not something you can just plug in, set it and go.

Although, I would like to learn how to play with the tune in my car, so in the future I would purchase EFIlive or HPtuners.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
The EFILive nitrous mode operating system that allows you to wire to the E85 sensor in the ECM on the E38 and E67 ECM's and have a nitrous timing curve when the nitrous triggers (and activated that pin on the ECM) works very well. We have used it on several cars.
If you don't have EFIlive, what costs less and is simple? Buying your unit or Buying EFIlive and making them work?

I would have to say the LNC 2000
Old 10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im selling The timing tuner, it offers pulling timing and nitrous controls heres a link if your interested. myself and many other members have had great luck with it.

http://www.fasttoys.net/shop/product...roducts_id=145
Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LNC2000 or MSD timing twister, two most easy and simple to use. LNC2000 kind of appeals to most because it is a two step and timing retard in one, MSD twister would be best and simplest to install most likely if you already had/have a two step.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default LNC vs EFILive cost

Yes, I agree the LNC-2000 is a lower cost way to adjust the timing and it has other advantages in that it is very easy to make changes with just a screw driver and you get a 2-step feature.

I was responding to someone question about the EFILive and HPTuners methods and just wanted to comment that we have tested the EFILive nitrous operating system with good results.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
If you don't have EFIlive, what costs less and is simple? Buying your unit or Buying EFIlive and making them work?

I would have to say the LNC 2000
Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Your car shouldnt be lazy at all on the NA tune unless it has gobs of timing jacked into it. I lose no MPH between nitrous and NA tune. I vote for get a real tune
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Launching!

The car does have a DYNO tune on it and it supposedly had some timing pulled out of it for the nitrous. I do not know how much and it does seem to be a bit lazy/sluggish on the motor but really comes on hard with the spray. The car MPH's 119 plus on the spray with a few bolt-ons and on real street tires not DR's. It will not run in the 12s on the motor but possibly would with DR's. I have added more mods to the car now so it needs to be re-tuned and I have read nothing but good things about Frost tunes and was thinking about ordering one for N/A with all of my mods and get a quality device to pull some timing when I spray it just to be on the safe side. I am only spraying a 100 shot on a HSW wet plate kit. They want $450.00 and up to do dyno tunes around here and thru e-mails and stories that I have read if your not standing there when they actually do it you possibly could get just a basic tune or canned tune that the shops have developed with time and experience. Many people say don't worry about pulling timing on a stock LS1 spraying a 125 shot or less THEN just as many say I would be crazy to not pull any timing. I have read alot of contradictions on this subject and I have learned quite alot about the LS1 on this website. The longblock is bone stock and I am just trying to figure out the easiest best way to be safe about spraying the car. It is NOT a racecar but with all of the new high HP cars coming out of Detroit I have to try and keep up because yall know I/we cant take much abuse from other cars on the Mexico trips.......trying to get all the edge I can get. I DO appreciate all of the replys and comments on this subject. Thanks for allowing me to cach -up on the performance side of the computer age because I will admit it ===I don't know Jack about it ..but I'm learning. Thanks again
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Nitrous vs NA tune

Are you saying that if you run a nitrous tune in an engine (without nitrous) that it won't loose much power compared to an optimized tune for no nitrous? I guess it depends on how much nitrous the tune is for and how spark sensitive a given engine combination is but, in general, you will noticeably loose power between the two. Not enough to hurt driveability but it will show up in 1/4 mile times and on the dyno.

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Your car shouldnt be lazy at all on the NA tune unless it has gobs of timing jacked into it. I lose no MPH between nitrous and NA tune. I vote for get a real tune

Quick Reply: Best way to pull timimg???