Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can dealers detect nitrous ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stangsteve
do an aoil change with oil that hasnt been sprayed on, and save the oil and filter, if anything ever goes wrong, drain the excisting oil, and refill with the old oil and put on the old filter If they do an analisis on the oil they wont find ****
see thats gonna be hard. because there is no way to get all the "sprayed" on oil out of the engine and moving parts.. and mixing it with old oil will have least amounts of traces but it will still show some amount of nitrous.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a thought for the service rep...........

ok ok i didn't think it could happen. But you know how the second hand reefer affects your system? I think my car was sniffing at the track while I wasn't looking sir. I know it sounds far fetched but I did leave the car alone and you had to watch Herbie didn't you? I tell you , you can't trust these cars! One day they are your show toy the next day they are behind the tower sniffing N2o.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
Not a bad idea, what he means is that if you flush the system and the motor is supposed to be blown up, they will see the new oil and get suspicious.

However, how do you know they wont find ****? Like I said, I had done 2-3 oil changes (yes, 2-3 new filters) after I took the nitrous off the car and the lab results came back positive.

So how the hell do you know they wont find ****?

I find it hard to beleive that a test with fresh oil showed up traces of nitrous, who did the testing? Dealers lie about stuff to get out of warranty work. sad but true. draining the oil and spraying brake or carb cleaner up into the drain holes and letting it flush out is a good way to rid it of infected oil, but even then, there wouldnt be any oil mixed intot he old oil good enough to show trace evidence. I think if a test supposably came back positive, that they positivley just suspected nitrous and pulled a fast one on you. Ofcourse you do know that using nitrous does void a warranty and if you did infact hurt the car on the spray it is your fault. But whos tellin, I think the test were faulsified
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could always pour some trans fluid or seafoam in the crankcase and let it run for a mile or two.. Thats good at cleaning **** too
Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

I think the biggest thing that has been established is the dealer that you go to. Some dealers have no idea and others are "out to get you" even if you are innocent. The best you can do is to take all the precautions above. Then take it to your dealer of choice and put on your charm. After all, it is going to come down to one mans decision, who knows you might just be talking person when you first bring your car in, so play nice.

Also, STANGSTEVE has a VERY valid point. I work at a VW dealer, and have witnessed this from jiffy lubes to dealers all over. I'm not saying that they are trying to screw you, but a lot of times they will do things to get the information that they want/need from you to make a decision. Like saying they found evidence of Nitrous use on your vehicle that would in turn void your warranty. Now someone who is guilty might just say aw shucks and take their word. Someone who might be falsely accused would fight it. For ex. asking to see the results of the test or maybe another dealer’s opinion etc. I'm not saying that it will work, but what do you have to lose.

I think it might be useful to compile a list of dealers that haven't hassled their customers for the warranty work just for future reference.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

as someone who deals in nirtouis and has my hands in a dealer ship.. go spray your car.. alot.. then pull the intake.. you'll notice that there is a nice green tint to the intake chambers.. its called sulfer ******* with the aluminum.. it'll go away.. also sir i can;t figure out why my intake smells like fuel??

if they want to **** you they will.. you can't hide it.. its not possible with out extensive cleaning..

Mike
Old 11-13-2005, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Hay I got an idea, since some of you get new engines after spraying 300 shot why don't you burn up your tires and have them replace them also while your there for the engine swap. Its people like you that make it hard for someone to get things fixed under warranty who honestly had a problem with there car.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangsteve
I find it hard to beleive that a test with fresh oil showed up traces of nitrous, who did the testing? Dealers lie about stuff to get out of warranty work. sad but true. draining the oil and spraying brake or carb cleaner up into the drain holes and letting it flush out is a good way to rid it of infected oil, but even then, there wouldnt be any oil mixed intot he old oil good enough to show trace evidence. I think if a test supposably came back positive, that they positivley just suspected nitrous and pulled a fast one on you. Ofcourse you do know that using nitrous does void a warranty and if you did infact hurt the car on the spray it is your fault. But whos tellin, I think the test were faulsified
Nope, unfortunately it was proven. I had two guys at that dealership that were friends of mine, 1: the service rep and 2: the GM tech that was assigned to take out my engine and put a new one in (in the case that my warranty held up). They both worked to get the warranty passed, but no luck once the hard evidence was presented by the lab.

Again, these are friends of mine and were both working to get my car passed, but then management got a second opinion and had someone come in and take an oil sample off to a lab.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the real soluition would be run medical grade...the removes the sulfer, but good luck getting some.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I would think it would be awfully hard for a dealer to legally prove nitrous use, without visual evidence....or just obvious clues. I find it hard to fathom nitrous use being proven by any lab oil test, because of the fact that gasoline has sulphur content, especially cheap gasoline. It doesnt take much sulphur to produce a smell, part per million traces are all that is needed, so trace amounts of sulphur in engine oil could also easily come from gasoline....
Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

we never checked for nitrous when i worked at the dealer. if it came in with the kit still on, then your dumb *** deserves to have your waranty voided. i put a piston in one truck that still had the cold air intake on it with the hole in the end. if you don't advertize it, i'm not going to bring it to the service manager's attention. motor jobs pay too well.
-Jordan
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I still owned the speed shop we did extended warrenty jobs also. We were mod freindly but respectful. A shop can loose there right to do warrenty work so they need to be ontop of things. Mod freindly should mean they are smart enough to know what caused the problem and what did not. If you came in and had a rod hanging out of the side of the block and nitrous on the car I would have to tell you IM sorry. Its not worth loosing what pays the bills. But if you came in and there was a different problem and it was not the aftermarket parts that caused the problem you should not be given a hard time. The problem is that the shop needs to know both sides of the market. These dealerships that do not are to hard to deal with.
Just because the are certified does not mean crap. Just means they have went through school.......

So I suggest shoping around and finding a place that understands both and is educated in both. Also its goes both ways. Even if they can help on one thing they may not be able to help on the next. It is a judgment call on there part. If they tell you hey I can not help you on this one understand they are doing what they can honestly. Being dishonest never pays off...
Dave
Old 11-30-2005, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ben R
motor jobs pay too well.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
gex
Teching In

The guy that did the exhaust on my car after I put the new motor in says he can smell it in the pipes/mufflers when a car has been sprayed. I spun a rod on the juice and 6 months later droped the new motor in. Drove it from my house to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust put back on...didnt spray it and the guy which I've never met before asked me while he was working on it if I spray it cause he smelt it in the pipes!!!! According to him its a distinct smell that you cant get rid of.

Jason
Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I work at a GM dealership. And as long as your cool,...where cool,. If you get what I mean.

Ofcourse, we install turbos and blowers.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

couldnt you get your gf or wife to play pretty and get it done? i mean dudes do tend to bend for a chick....we all know this, we'll bend over backwards for a girl.....girls even know it and use it for their advantage.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Say you loap into a dealership. Screaming cam, sounds like the apocolipse is coming, true duals with the cut outs open, MT's all the way around, Two 15lbs nos bottles in the back. You cut it off, get out, and ask to have a window motor replaced underwarrenty.

Would they be able to turn you down for a completely un realated part?

Not that I care because my car is 10 years old and had no warrenty, just wondering
Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont they have like different departments for different sections, like the drivetrain warrenty, or the outside warrenty, like those different departments?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I work at a GM dealership. And as long as your cool,...where cool,. If you get what I mean.

Ofcourse, we install turbos and blowers.
Hmm...which dealership is this? I am in Fort Lauderdale
Old 12-30-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Say you loap into a dealership. Screaming cam, sounds like the apocolipse is coming, true duals with the cut outs open, MT's all the way around, Two 15lbs nos bottles in the back. You cut it off, get out, and ask to have a window motor replaced underwarrenty.

Would they be able to turn you down for a completely un realated part?

Not that I care because my car is 10 years old and had no warrenty, just wondering
Answer to your question: NO, they would replace the window motor. If they turned you down then they would have to prove that whatever you changed on the car caused the window motor to go bad.

Could they prove that by making your car go much faster you have caused the window motor to fail? Maybe, but doubtful.

Quick Reply: Can dealers detect nitrous ??