Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Make a Timing Retard Box for a Nitrous Oxide system...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Here is how I did mine , I use EFI-Live COS-5 , and use their custom operating system for my second stage 200 dry shot for adding fuel and pulling timing, but it will only do one stage, So I needed a second timing pulled for my first stage 300 wet shot direct port . I pull timing @ 14*F ,because the EFI-Live (B5911 Spark IAT) Table only goes down to 14*F. and so I used a resistor that pulled at 16*F . My car is a pro street ,so I'm not planning to drive it in that temp any way. In the attachment I made is how I done mine. I added the wiring schematics for the IAT & ECT for the LS1 F-Body's if any body needs them .
Mine works grate, was put on a dyno and the tuner said it was working fine. Go to post 97 and you will see the wiring diagram i made to make this work.

Last edited by Randy WS6; 05-18-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen were other charts only go to 14deg. I'll check out your diagram. How do you figure out what resister to use?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how I did mine , I use EFI-Live COS-5 , and use their custom operating system for my second stage 200 dry shot for adding fuel and pulling timing, but it will only do one stage, So I needed a second timing pulled for my first stage 300 wet shot direct port . I pull timing @ 14*F ,because the EFI-Live (B5911 Spark IAT) Table only goes down to 14*F. and so I used a resistor that pulled at 16*F . My car is a pro street ,so I'm not planning to drive it in that temp any way. In the attachment I made is how I done mine. I added the wiring schematics for the IAT & ECT for the LS1 F-Body's if any body needs them .
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Sorry to post on an old thread.

Unfortunately I don't have access to HP Tuners and can't justify the cost yet.

Will be installing a Nitrous Express 150 wet plate kit with MSD window switch 3K-6K. L76 G8.

I've read of using the IAT trick but to increase temperature to pull 5-6 degrees. This of course has the side effect of leaning out AFR. However since this is only going to be in cicuit when N20 is active, couldn't the fuel jet account for this?

I plan to have a wideband, and will tune by reading the plugs, and monitoring AFR. If budget allows, might consider something like the Innovate PSN-1 to de-activate it if AFR goes too lean.

Am I of "sound mind" thinking that a properly sized fuel Jet (confirmed with plug reading and AFR readings) will compensate for the PCM's leaning out of the fuel mixture when using the IAT trick to spoof increased air temp to pull timing?

This is purely for a street car, might goto the track once a year. Daily driver. Not looking to pickup every .10/sec I can, just alot of fun every now and then with the bottle. FI would be too tempting every day, every stop light.

Last edited by poor_red_neck; 08-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poor_red_neck
Sorry to post on an old thread.

Unfortunately I don't have access to HP Tuners and can't justify the cost yet.

Will be installing a Nitrous Express 150 wet plate kit with MSD window switch 3K-6K. L76 G8.

I've read of using the IAT trick but to increase temperature to pull 5-6 degrees. This of course has the side effect of leaning out AFR. However since this is only going to be in cicuit when N20 is active, couldn't the fuel jet account for this?

I plan to have a wideband, and will tune by reading the plugs, and monitoring AFR. If budget allows, might consider something like the Innovate PSN-1 to de-activate it if AFR goes too lean.

Am I of "sound mind" thinking that a properly sized fuel Jet (confirmed with plug reading and AFR readings) will compensate for the PCM's leaning out of the fuel mixture when using the IAT trick to spoof increased air temp to pull timing?

This is purely for a street car, might goto the track once a year. Daily driver. Not looking to pickup every .10/sec I can, just alot of fun every now and then with the bottle. FI would be too tempting every day, every stop light.
Without the tuning software, and the tune in your car loaded up, you wouldn't be able to see exactly what tables you're hitting by raising the IAT, or what those tables are doing. How would you know how hot you need to trick the IAT into reading, in order to pull x amount of timing? And how much timing is it pulling already at the real temp?

Although you might be able to get around this by viewing a free software download and looking at a tune from the repository, you really need to know what is happening in your specific tune.

Plus, making the IAT hot might make other IAT-related tables kick in, such as perhaps a fuel enrichment table or some other compensation. Who knows what. You would have to look thru the whole tune to see if anything else gets affected.

The mass airflow model will be self-compensating, so spoofing the PCM on the IAT value wouldn't affect it. The speed density model is affected by IAT though, and a higher IAT would lean out the AFR some. You could make up for this by enriching the fuel using the nitrous kit beyond what the kit itself requires.

Given the risky nature of this, and the benefits of custom tuning your car NA, I would consider investing in HP Tuners first, then adding on nitrous once the motor is tuned to the max.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pontisteve
Without the tuning software, and the tune in your car loaded up, you wouldn't be able to see exactly what tables you're hitting by raising the IAT, or what those tables are doing. How would you know how hot you need to trick the IAT into reading, in order to pull x amount of timing? And how much timing is it pulling already at the real temp?

Although you might be able to get around this by viewing a free software download and looking at a tune from the repository, you really need to know what is happening in your specific tune.

Plus, making the IAT hot might make other IAT-related tables kick in, such as perhaps a fuel enrichment table or some other compensation. Who knows what. You would have to look thru the whole tune to see if anything else gets affected.

The mass airflow model will be self-compensating, so spoofing the PCM on the IAT value wouldn't affect it. The speed density model is affected by IAT though, and a higher IAT would lean out the AFR some. You could make up for this by enriching the fuel using the nitrous kit beyond what the kit itself requires.

Given the risky nature of this, and the benefits of custom tuning your car NA, I would consider investing in HP Tuners first, then adding on nitrous once the motor is tuned to the max.

Thanks for the response. I'll agree that I'm not sure what else a higher temp IAT table will do, other than pull timing, and lean out the mixture. However the PCM can only control so much... fuel, spark. Can't do anything about compression. On the G8 boards we do have known factory tables for the IAT timing relationship. By running a resistor in parallel to the factory IAT, you can pull an additional 6 degrees or so of timing and still maintain the IAT sensor's functionality so a 70 degree day vs a 100 degree day, your timing is still being pulled.

The OP's method is obviously a much more elegant way of doing it. Designating a temp table that will never be used in 98% of the country (sorry for those in Alaska/Northern Canada maybe???) and with HP tuners able to adjust other parameters based on that specific table. I just don't want to shell out $500 bucks for something that I'm not going to use other than this. I might do a tranny tune to stiffen up shifts a little bit, but other than that I'd like to keep it stock for a DD. I can always have a shop do that, or may get a cheap hand held. I don't know.

Is there a product out there, that can pull timing only when the N20 is armed? I understand that permanently pulling timing is probably only going to result in a 10-13 RWHP loss, but for a basically stock G8 that's alot. I don't want to have to flash a tune everytime I want to spray, or have to stop and connect/disconnect something under the hood. I want to flip a switch (or switches) and have it ready to go, as safe as I can.

If there is a product that can do this, I'm all for it. The IAT trick seems to be "well proven" though, and it may seem "hackish" but at the end of the day, a PCM is not really that complicated. Basic inputs, a little computation, then some output. From a programming/electrical stand point I don't see the flaw. Unless as you pointed out, there is some other variable that I and others are missing about what all IAT is affecting. From what I've been reading online though, it seems it's limited to ignition timing, and fuel pulse width. The timing is desirable, the fuel can be fixed with the N20 fuel jet size, confirmed with a wideband 02 & plug reading.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes sir there is. The LNC-2000 can be wired to retard timing when the nitrous is armed. Super easy to wire up as well!
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...ontroller.html
Old 08-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Awesome! Didn't know the the LNS-2000 could be manually activated. I'll put that one the list of things I'm going to need to acquire.

I appreciate the response Brandon. After looking around, I think I'm going to have to go with the Nitrous Outlet plate kit. I really like the idea of having hard lines instead of the braided stainless. MUCH cleaner look, and the absolute minimum amount of piping needed. Your kit is looking more and more attractive, and the price is very competitive compared to some of the other plate kits that just use braided stainless. Need to do some "research" on ya'lls solenoids. It's the last piece of the puzzle that has me hesitant about spraying. Having one stick open seems to be the biggest fear that is chewing away at the back of my brain. I know nothing is perfect, and s**t happens, but if one is better than the other it's worth the extra money for my daily driver.

Brandon, couple quick questions. Do you know if the factory engine cover would still work with the solenoid/lines installed? Not a huge deal, but I'm liking the "stealth look" more and more. Planning on running the stock exhaust with the "washer mod", and having electric activated exhaust cut outs for when I want to have a little fun and lay some rubber.
Also, are the solenoids that are included with the kit I linked to above able to handle a progressive controller? I'm going to try with just the basic TPS activator and window switch without it, but I don't want to run drag radials all the time. If traction is going to be too much of an issue I will be installing a progressive controller to ramp up the spray to aid in traction.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Last edited by poor_red_neck; 08-04-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Teching In

The IAT mod works well, but I prefer to see it used in the cold temp range that you'll never be in instead of the hot temp range. It would then add fuel instead of taking away fuel. You could also shut the VE table off and run mostly on the MAF table, which doesn't care about IAT.

One thing to consider here is resistor consistency. Most resistors have a 5% accuracy, but they can be had in 1 or 2% as well. Having tuning software allows you to tailor the resistor to exactly where you want to be in the tune. Otherwise, if you blindly follow internet instructions, you might end up pulling the wrong amount of timing. The HP Tuners suite is worth it for the scantool function alone.

If the price tag seems too steep, consider just paying a professional tuner to do the IAT mod for you. While he's in there, he might as well wake up the engine for you, because it's set to run way too safe from the factory for what we're up to.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pontisteve
The IAT mod works well, but I prefer to see it used in the cold temp range that you'll never be in instead of the hot temp range. It would then add fuel instead of taking away fuel. You could also shut the VE table off and run mostly on the MAF table, which doesn't care about IAT.

One thing to consider here is resistor consistency. Most resistors have a 5% accuracy, but they can be had in 1 or 2% as well. Having tuning software allows you to tailor the resistor to exactly where you want to be in the tune. Otherwise, if you blindly follow internet instructions, you might end up pulling the wrong amount of timing. The HP Tuners suite is worth it for the scantool function alone.

If the price tag seems too steep, consider just paying a professional tuner to do the IAT mod for you. While he's in there, he might as well wake up the engine for you, because it's set to run way too safe from the factory for what we're up to.
Thanks for your input! The OP's solution as I said earlier is MUCH more elegant than using a higher temp table. If I understand correctly HP Tuners is licensed per VIN number, so I couldn't say... find a local guy who has it and hook it up to mine. am I assuming correctly?

I may just go the LNC-2000 route to handle timing. No idea. I'm not in a rush. Going to take my time, acquire the stuff slowly, make sure it's done right, on the budget that I'm on.

I've considered getting a hand held for some pre-built N/A tunes just to get a little more power out of it, and stiffen up transmission shifts a little bit.

I don't know of any performance shops around me, and certainly don't know of any that are trustworthy. Have heard horror stories about a few, but don't know who the goto LS guys are around here. Dyno and tuning time is expensive, and honestly for a daily driven car I can't justify the dyno time to get another 20 HP or so. Now a 150 shot is another story. I'm new to not only nitrous, but N/A performance as well. My other cars have been turbo charged older cars and (while I know this is not recommended, etc etc) I usually just throw a wide band on it, crank up the boost, put in bigger injectors, retard timing a little bit and have fun. These were cheap beater cars and didn't care if I blew it up. Now that I'm married with a kid, can't do that anymore. So going to have to have fun with the DD.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Teching In

While there's more than one way to skin a cat, the IAT mod solution is a pretty good one. We certainly trust the factory computer to do it's job. The important part is that the tuner understands exactly how to do this mod correctly. I've seen it done before where they used no resistor, and read -40 degrees. This causes a default mode, and does not work because the timing will not retard. You also have to make sure that modifier tables don't come into play, and multiply your retard by zero.

The only real variable here, other than getting the relay wired up right, and the tune modified correctly, is making sure the resistor used actually provides the right resistance. Since there is a typical 5% variance, you really have to check on the car to make sure. You use the HPT scanner to log IAT Advance, and Spark Advance. If you click the relay on by pressing the nitrous button (solenoids unplugged) or master arm switch, the IAT advance should read -6 or whatever you're trying to pull out.

I like to use the master arm switch to activate the relay. This means it pulls the 6 degrees out any time you flip the master arm switch. The nice part about that is that the timing is retarded before you hit the juice. This way, the juice doesn't "beat the timing retard" to the motor. Relays take time to activate, somewhat. Also, you can hear the motor pitch change in the staging lanes when you pull that timing. It's an audible verification of the system working correctly. When you're not datalogging, it's comforting to be able to hear the engine pitch change and know that timing is retarded. The only down side to that is the motor is 6 degrees more doggy until you hit the nitrous. But hey, hit the nitrous right away and that isn't a down side.

There are options here. You could find a buddy with HP Tuners and pay him some credits to do this for you. On the down side, this is serious business and your buddy is not a professional tuner. If he screws up, it can be catastrophic.

Another option is you can send your PCM in to be bench flashed by a professional tuner. If he knows what he's doing, this will work as long as you have the resistance right, and get your IATs to read exactly what your tuner says they need to. He will likely provide a window that you can be in.

I have a Resistance Substitution Box that I use. Temporarily wire it into the new IAT signal wire where the resistor will go, and turn the dials until the IATs (on a datalog or scantool) show the exact temp you are looking for. Then simply read the resistance off the box, and go buy a resistor that has that same amount of resistance. My box is accurate to about 1 ohm.

You can buy the resistor by it's ohm reading, but that's within a 5% tolerance unless you buy close tolerance resistors. If you bring an ohmmeter with you, you can just pick thru several of the correct resistors until you find one that has almost the exact resistance you measured with the Resistance Substitution Box. This whole deal is all about knowing exactly what resistor you need, instead of trying a bunch of different ones until you luck up and get it right.

I use the IET Labs RS-200. Here's some info on that: http://www.ietlabs.com/rsbox.html

They make cheaper ones, but this is a quality product. In the end, it's not necessary. It just finds the perfect amount of resistance for you by spinning a dial. Once that resistance is known, we just need to find a resistor that actually has that exact amount of resistance.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another solution for applications w/o EFILIVE COS support

I hope I am not hijacking this thread.

A few people have mentioned the EFILive custom OS that enables the E85 spark and fuel tables as a way to run different timing/fuel when nitrous is active. We have used that with very good success on several vehicles. We have run into applications where the EFILive custom OS is not available for that vehicle application.

In cases where the ECM supports an E85 sensor but the EFILive custom OS (COS) for nitrous/E85 table activation is not available we have developed an external module that provides simulated E85 signals to the ECU and can be triggered by external switched inputs like you would have on a nitrous controller or on an activation switch.

Like the IAT retard trick it does require reprogramming your ECM/PCM though so it isn't as easy an install as the LNC-2000/LNC-2001/LNC-2014 is.

Since it activates the E85 related tables it does allow you to modify spark and fuel so it can allow dry nitrous systems to enrich the fuel via the ECM/PCM (assuming you have enough injector and primary fuel pump).

We are actually looking for beta testers prior to the public release of this product. I created a forum discussion for anyone interested in beta testing the product. Additional product details can be found in the discussion as well.

The other forum discussion is located here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...trous-etc.html

Hope this is of interest.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by bensrat
2012 Camaro RS LFX motor...same engine u helped tmenees2 in the caddy do last year. I will get some new pics posted for u. Really appreciate the help! Guess I should ask, if my IAT reading is -17 does that have to match my IAT in the chart or I can use any IAT from the chart as long as its not more negative in temp then -17?

These are the same table names (except the numbers are for my car)as the original post on page 1. I will repost mine again after work tonight.
Hey Bensrat,

I'm doing this mod to my 2013 LFX, what resistors did you use and what temp? I'm in Puerto Rico so no cold weather here, I have everything in place for a 100 shot, I'm using a NOS kit and a NOS window switch, all I need is to retard spark when arming the NOS and off to the dyno.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Carlos Rivera; 05-27-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default POT for NOS Retard

Hi All, yes a good read AND one way to change a MAT read.

I used this method, one more advanced, thirty years age on my first ECU.

This method is as stated in the above posts EXCEPT for the fact I FITTED an ADJUSTABLE RESISTOR, a potentiometer !

Thus is you want a 100, 200, 300 "spray" on different days, you just do a "twist" of the dash mounted ****.

I do sell this "POT" to this day.

Lance
Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carlos Rivera
Hey Bensrat,

I'm doing this mod to my 2013 LFX, what resistors did you use and what temp? I'm in Puerto Rico so no cold weather here, I have everything in place for a 100 shot, I'm using a NOS kit and a NOS window switch, all I need is to retard spark when arming the NOS and off to the dyno.

Thanks!!
Believe i used 10k ohm as long as your table is similar to mine

Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Launching!

So is this how the HSW Interface works to pull timing and add fueling?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Default Clt + mat

Hi Brian, you are correct.

The SAME method can be used for your CLT sensor, the relay/POT method OR a HSW.

My ECU-882C uses AUX inputs for Fuel and Timing modifications needed that are voltage based with 2-D tables.

YOUR CASE could work fine if you "change" the Coolant Temperature read.
The TWO sensor are the SAME internally, the some resistance.

Thus more Injector Fuel with a different IAT read when the CLT read is also changed.

Lance
Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rocket5979
Below is an electrical diagram of how everything will be wired.

The basic gist of how to wire this is so that when the relays are not powered the signal travels from the ECU, through the IATS, and back to the ECU like it would in stock form. Then when the relays are powered by 12 volts they will switch connection with the pins so that the IATS is temporarily taken out of the circuit and instead the resistors are connected for the ECU to “see” and think it is encountering -40*F IAT’s. Normally I am very adamant about not tricking the ECU with false signals, but in this case it is for the purpose of being on the safe side versus some other hack-job trick to gain power at the cost of safety so it will be ok. The IATS does not have a positive and negative pole so you don’t have to worry much about which wire coming from the ECU that you hook up to which Pin 30 on Relay #1 or #2. For those of you who are also skilled in DC wiring I understand that there is more than one way to wire the relay(s) in this box to allot the IATS signal to be bypassed, but this is the way I prefer to do it. So that is what my diagram is geared towards. NOTE: DO NOT USE CRIMPED BUTT CONNECTORS to connect the wires! You will have a total of 6 wires exiting the box that will route to various places on the car. The first two will be the 12v power and ground wires that activate the relays themselves, in the diagram above that would be the single red and single black wire that split off and each route to pins 85 and 86 on the relays. Then the next two wires that exit will be the wires that will connect to your wires coming from the IATS. In the diagram above those would be the wires coming from pin 87a on each of the relays. The last 2 wires that will exit the box will be the ones that attach to your vehicle electrical harness. According to the diagram above these will be the wires coming from pin 30 on each of the relays.

Activating the Box: Now there are a few options of how you can send 12 volts of power to these relays. You can just keep it simple and run an extra power wire to the box from your nitrous master arm switch or you can run 12 volts from the solenoid activation wire in your nitrous controller. The first choice will mean that the ECU will “see” a -40*F IAT at all times that the master arm switch is flipped, while the second choice will mean that the ECU will only “see” a -40*F IAT when the solenoids are being powered (aka spraying). Before some of you start asking, well why trick the ECU into thinking it is seeing -40*F temps when the nitrous is sure to cool down the IAT’s to that cold of a temp in reality? Well the difference is that there will ALWAYS be a delay time between what the actual intake temps have dropped to on the nitrous versus what the IATS is reading. The IATS just aren’t quick enough to react to temperature changes to keep the engine from knocking for the first few seconds of nitrous activation which is what gives this mod purpose. The ECU only checks IAT’s 2 times a second so in theory if you hook the box up to a solenoid trigger wire then there can be a chance of a slight delay between when the noids are powered versus when the computer “sees” the -40*F temp and pulls timing. Just something to think about.

Locating the Box: While you could seal the box with silicone and keep it under the hood I would suggest that it be located inside the cabin somewhere, perhaps under the dash somewhere. You don’t really need access to the box to activate it so it can be tucked up somewhere hidden. Just make sure that if you mount the box away from the IATS that you make good connections with solder and heat shrink tubing on all sensor wire connections so that you don’t inadvertently add more resistance that isn’t accounted for in the IATS Calibration Table.

Extra options/Multiple Timing Retard Settings: One other item worth mentioning is for those of you who may want to retard different amounts of timing with the flip of a rotary switch for whatever reason. You can use this box for that too but you will need to do a few extra things. First off you will need to go to the next coldest cell in the IATS Spark Adder and Multiplier Tables and input whatever spark retard value in them. Then reference the IATS Calibration Table to see what amount of IATS resistance in ohms that ECU expects to see with that temperature so you know how much total resistance your resistor(s) need to add up to or slightly exceed when wired in series. After this you will add in the rotary switch between Pin 87 on Relay #1 and Pin 87 on Relay #2. The wire coming from Pin 87 on Relay #1 will go to the common pole on the rotary switch. Then the first resistor set for the coldest IAT Spark Retard setting will go on Pole #1 of the rotary switch and connect to Pin 87 on Relay #2. The second resistor set for the second coldest IAT Spark Retard setting will connect to rotary switch Pole #2 and connect to Pin 87 on Relay #2 also, and so on and so forth for further Spark Retard settings. Just remember that you are limited on the amount of IATS Spark Adder temperature cells that you can use before getting into cells that you may actually use while daily driving your car in normal weather.

This is the resistance, measured in the thousands of ohms, that the ECU will see when the box is powered thus making it think it is encountering -40*F intake temps.

I hope this mod helps those of you who want an inexpensive and effective way to retard your spark timing while spraying nitrous. There are some other options for how you can set your timing retard without having access to HP Tuners or other tuning platform so if you want to do something like this but don’t have the ability to modify your tune itself, just ask and alternative options can be provided. They aren’t quite as good as directly modifying the IAT Spark Tables, but it is a viable second option. Overall it is a pretty simple setup, especially if you are familiar with DC wiring and have access to HP Tuners, EFILive, or other GM custom tuning platform.
would you be interested in making one for some $$?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Default Piezo Knock Sensors

Hi All, would it be possible to "trick" the Piezo Knock Sensors ?

My answer is YES !

I know little about the Knock Tables compared to most here that use GM PCM's.

I do know that the output of TWO Piezo Knock Sensors is fed into a differential amplifier, a way to separating Noise from Engine Knock.
I do know a Piezo sensor produces a small voltage when excited.

Thus if a small voltage was fed into one knock sensor, the Ignition Timing should lowered.

I believe the fuel (AFR) would not be effected ?

Would there be some interest ?

Lance
Old 10-09-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Rather than make or use a box, I prefer just flashing to the 2002 OS and then using HP tuners to pull the timing whenever the N2O switch is armed. You can set how much timing to pull. Less wires, less chance of something going wrong.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make a Timing Retard Box for a Nitrous Oxide system...