Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight

So I bought this 72 F100 and I'm going for this rat rod, ugly, loud, old, smelly look to it. I am running a stock FE 360 Big Block in it that has some unknown number of miles on it. I also have a vintage NOS bottle and Carb plate from a hot rod I bought and was forced to take it out (worried mother) and has been sitting in my garage for about 10 years now (no longer have to deal with mother at my age). I have a vague memory of being told it was a 150 shot (how can I verify?) which seems like a lot for an old stock Ford big block. I'm not really planning on racing it, it's kind of just more of a theme appearance mod. Although once its in I will be tempted to spray I'm sure. Since it's mostly an appearance thing I wanted to put the bottle in the bed so its visible to all the haters/ rich kids who think NOS is cool and wanna buy my truck. I've read a lot about bottle pressure and temp correlation and am kind of worried about this issue. It does get around 100 degrees where I live in the summer, but i figured it is better to be in the bed of a truck with open air around it then to be on a tunnel mount in a camaro exposed to direct sunlight baking it, the surrounding temp. of the bed will probably be less than a car that traps in the heat (maybe I'm wrong). Anyways I was hoping some nitrous guys could chime in and tell me that it would be rare and have to be insanely hot for it to blow or that I'm an idiot and should just keep maybe an empty bottle in for looks. Also it's been a while since I took Physics and I didn't do amazingly but will the pressure be effected by the amount of nitrous in the bottle? Could I get it filled half way and then have less of a pressure issue? (if i remember correctly from my college physics then I would think the amount of the gas would keep a constant pressure until its completely gone) well sorry for the long post, any and all info is appreciated.

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight-photo-65-.jpg

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight-enginess.jpg

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight-photo-39-.jpg

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight-photo-50-.jpg

Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight-photo-51-.jpg

Last edited by B0dyDr0pp3d; 07-05-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a blow off cap on the bottle, then it'll burst and let out the NO2 when it reaches a certain pressure. It's a safety to keep the bottle from blowing up. Most of the nitrous bottle explosions I've heard of have been from bottles being almost full to completely full when it happened and even in 80 degree temperatures. Still, from what I've seen, I wouldn't take chances being in direct sunlight with a full bottle for long hours.

I've even heard stories of it taking out part of a garage.

I'm sure if you contact NOS with a number on the plate if it has one, they'll be able to tell you.

Last edited by 00MaroonZ28; 07-05-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree direct sunlight is a big no no. Hell just being at the track on a hot day you will see guys putting wet towels on doing long purges trying to get the pressure down to operating range.

Also the less nitrous in the bottle the quicker the pressure drop off.

Quick Reply: Not Camaro/LS1 related, Nitrous bottle in the bed of a truck, direct sunlight