Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap Mustang in the 8's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS Swap Mustang in the 8's

We finally decided to up the jets in our 8.5" Tire Mustang. We had been running a 175 shot so we upped the jets to a 250 shot. And the car responded really well. (Previous best 1/8 was 5.84)

The car is a 1992 Mustang with a 402" LS2, AFR 245 Heads, MAST Single Plane Intake, and a Holley 750cfm Carb (class rules), Powerglide trans, 8.8" rear, and 26x8.5" Hoosier tires. We are running a single plate kit also as per class rules.

Suspension is standard bolt ons. Front suspension in strange single adjustable coil overs. The rear has stock location Afco coil over shocks. We have a UPR anti-roll bar and adjustable uppers and lower control arms rounding out the rear suspension.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats guys! Very stout passes!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Damn I wish my car would get out the hole like that. Nice 60' what is the weight on the car as it sits on that pass?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the weight for the class? and whats the jet size for the class rules? you would run pretty good for our xtreme 8.5 class(which is a limited 8.5 class)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
whats the weight for the class? and whats the jet size for the class rules? you would run pretty good for our xtreme 8.5 class(which is a limited 8.5 class)
.093 is our max jet allowed in the class. we are currently running a .082. We have never weighed the car. The class here has no weight rules so we have never bothered. I would guess it around 2900-2950 with me in it maybe a tad heavier.

Last edited by heavy6.0; 09-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Running very nicely boss. Congrats.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

What's the compression on this 402...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM

It is a 13:1 motor.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for a 8.5 class to run in? The boys in KC are getting a new class together since Vamp died out. Got alot of people on board so far. You would be very competitive with your times! A 5.55 won the last race pretty easily.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Looking for a 8.5 class to run in? The boys in KC are getting a new class together since Vamp died out. Got alot of people on board so far. You would be very competitive with your times! A 5.55 won the last race pretty easily.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM

What class are they putting together? Where are they running?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sho-me speed
What class are they putting together? Where are they running?
These are the tentative rules so far...I copied this from Purposebuilt.org. Join Purposebuilt if your interested? Would love to see a LSX kick some ***! Lol

Originally Posted by 2BQwika
If Dave does decide to take a break after this season which looks like he definitely is from what he's said who is seriously interested in moving on with the class and going forward with our home track US36 and maybe a few races at Mokan/KID/Tulsa as possible options. I have many ideas and will share a few but want to start getting a head count of guys that seriously want to keep this class going.

Here's my thinking.

#1 If I have to I will not race next year for conflict of interest since I'm involved in rules and helping organize this deal and maybe put small tune in it and let someone else drive it just to support cause if racers where ok with that. Also I'm hoping to get my dad's finished with a F1C on it to also join the fun and get him racing again.

#2 I'm thinking about a race schedule that starts in mid/late April and ends in early October. 1 race a month max and have a predetermined make up date so if weather/heat or other issues arrise everybody already knows the make up date.

#3 I'd wait until all the other tracks and series know when their big races are to try and schedule around those(or try to become part of them) in case guys wanna join those.

#4 My ideal schedule in my head would be 4 races at US36 with 1 scheduled make up date and 2 races at KID and possibly see if we could join MAKO at the Tulsa Midnight in mid summer or maybe become a class at a big race like the Throwdown in T town if guys where up for it and the travel.

(Hypothetical Schedule)
3-4 races at US 36 1 scheduled make up date
1 at Tulsa
1-2 at KID
1 at Mokan

#5 Would prolly do a $100 fee to join series then would be $75 a race with %100 payout and hopefully extra sponsor money to raise purses. My goal will be to get our class added to some of these tracks big events at no cost for them and only add to their show and we handle our own rules and payouts. Not sure how that will go but no way we can afford track rentals.

Anyways these are some of my thoughts on going forward. I'll continue to work forward if you guys want. Just be honest with me. Thanks! Chris

2013 8.5 Rules

MW8.5RA
(Midwest 8.5 Racers Association)
"The Freakshow"
Aimed at being a heads up class where a racer can have a good time on a modest budget.
Runs 1/8 mile, heads up on .4T tree.
Class is designed for small block and big block with single stage plate systems, boosted small blocks and naturally aspirated small/big blocks.

TIRES
26x8.5 slicks- May have Mickey Thompson(3052) or Hoosier (18115C11) or any 26x8.5x15 slick only to be able to run in class

ELECTRONICS
Any ignition or efi system on all combos. No Davis traction control or similiar devices allowed. AMS style boost controller legal. N2O controllers legal. Datalogging allowed

TRANSMISSION – any automatic or manual transmission allowed.

FUEL – Any race gasoline permitted – NO Nitro or propelyne oxide allowed. Alcohol only allowed with naturally aspirated motors. E85 legal for all combos,

SMALL BLOCKS—N2O
Allowed any single stage production plate system including crossbar and diffuser style. Must have one fuel and one nitrous solenoid max on carb applications. EFI allowed 2 nozzles for N20. Foggers can be installed on car but must be capped before tech.
May have an inline single solenoid purge which must exit above the hood.
Must run a single 12" or greater -4 nitrous feed line from N2O solenoid. Nano or other pressure regulating systems are allowed. Ony a single N20 bottle may be mounted.
Aftermarket blocks(aluminum ok, no billet)
Any head
Single carb or throttle body allowed
No sheet metal intakes allowed, only cast commercially, available
Nitrous controllers allowed.
Small blocks with more than 440 ci will run under big block rules.
All Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac, AMC will run under small block rules w/max 500ci

FORCED INDUCTION (SMALL BLOCK ONLY)(No billet heads)(No N20 any boosted combo)

#1 TURBOS 88mm MAX( mid frame Y2K or GT47-88 etc.) Unmodified
No billet wheels, no large frame turbos or reducers
Any intercooler allowed

BLOWERS F1C or equivalent MAX Unmodified
Geardrive/forward facing blowers legal
Any intercooler allowed

#2 TURBOS 88mm MAX, Twin 67's max Unmodified
Billet wheel legal, large frame legal, no reducers
Must be intercooled in front of firewall
Meth injection legal on air to air or non intercooled combos

BLOWERS F1R or equivalent MAX Unmodified
Must be intercooled in front of firewall
Geardrive/forward facing blowers legal
Meth injection legal on air to air or non intercooled combos

BIG BLOCKS-N20
MAX deck height(10.2 Chevy, 10.3 Ford, 10.7 Mopar) 598 MAX CI and conventional heads only. Aftermarket blocks ok,aluminum ok (no billet)
Any single carb or throttle body allowed
No sheet metal intakes allowed, only cast, commercially available
May use any single stage production plate with jet limit of single jet .082. Crossbar 2 jet .059, Crossbar 4 jet .042(These can be changed for parity between combos)
May have an inline single solenoid purge which must exit above the hood
Must run a single 12" or greater -4 nitrous feed line from N2O solenoid. Nano or other pressure regulating systems are allowed. Ony a single N20 bottle may be mounted.
Foggers must be capped
Nitrous controllers allowed.
(Max jet size can be changed before any race if deemed necessary for parity)

SMALL BLOCK-NA
Must be naturally aspirated.
Aftermarket block ok, aluminum ok(no billet)
No CI/Head limit
Sheetmetal intakes allowed
Multiple carb/throttle body legal
Alcohol allowed

BIG BLOCKS–NA
Must be naturally aspirated.
Any BB single carb or throttle body, Aluminum block ok(no billet)(Max 10.2 deck Chevy, 10.3 Ford, 10.7 for Mopar)
Any heads
632 MAX CI
Alcohol allowed.
No sheet metal intakes, only cast, commercially available

BODY – SUSPENSION
Minimum weights NA-SB(2500),NA-BB(2800),N20-SB(2800),N20-BB(2800),All Boosted(3100)
Complete stock chassis and frame rails from motorplate/shock tower to behind rear wheel opening.(Exception Smith Racecraft style direct repalcement front end kits allowed on 67-81 Firebird/Camaro and 62-74 Nova)
Rear frame rails may be notched for clearance
Front core support may be modified or removed
Mini tubs allowed
Factory wheelbase and dimensions must be maintained
Must have OEM front windshield, drivers window, and passenger window must roll up in factory manner.
Motor must be in factory location, must not touch firewall
Unaltered floor pan. Floor may be altered for thru the floor sub-frame connectors, etc.
Floor pans must be from back of front seat to firewall.
Firewall must be in stock location, minor modifications for trans, etc, is OK. (can be smoothed and filled for safety/appearance)
Trunk floor can be modified for fuel cell and pumps.
Mufflers or inserts required on all cars except turbo, exhaust may exit underneath or out front of fenders but must not affect staging or timing beams.
Must have working head lights and taillights.
Fiberglass limited to hood, trunk lid/hatch, and bumpers.
Lexan only on back window
Aftermarket front spoiler allowed.
No Extenders / Stripe Takers. - Nothing sticking out past the bumper.
Interior must have upholstered factory door panels, carpet may be omitted for fire safety
No passenger or rear seat required
Factory style dash required. Fiberglass or replica ok
Stock suspension, Ladder bars, Torque arms allowed. No 4 link back half tube chassis cars.
Hood scoops allowed
Direct replacement aftermarket control arms/k-member allowed.
No wheelie bars
Control arms/K members/Shocks/Struts must mount in factory location. Rear leaf springs, shocks, springs, coilovers may be moved to accomodate tire clearance.
12 or 16volt allowed.
Must pass track tech
Car tech will be done randomly at races. If found in violation of rules(that are considered to gain an unfair advantage) a one race suspension will be put in place. 2nd offense removal from series for rest of season

PARITY – OFFICIALS MAY IMPOSE RESTRICTIONS TO ANY PARTICIPANT DISPLAYING ADVANTAGEOUS PERFORMANCE.
LEGALITY OF ANY CAR IS THE DECISION OF THE RACE/TECH DIRECTOR.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Yeah i checked it out and I think we are going to try and run up there next year.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sho-me speed
Yeah i checked it out and I think we are going to try and run up there next year.
Thats great Wes. Cant wait to check your setup out! Are the rules going to help you out more compared to Ozark?

Quick Reply: LS Swap Mustang in the 8's