Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Bottle Pressure and Can't See Nitrous.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Low Bottle Pressure and Can't See Nitrous.

I am ashamed to say that I have had my nitrous kit installed for over 4 years now and sprayed it once. Every time I've tried to spray at the track I never had my MircoEdge set up correctly.

Anyway, I first installed the kit, had everything working then I come to find out that the bottle was leaking. Sent it to HSW and they fixed it, I have since had the bottle filled with the same nitrous(I did a search and learned that nitrous does not go bad...please correct me if I'm wrong), after that the car pretty much sat for awhile with no 'nitrous activity' so to speak. So the bottle was in my basement for almost 2 years. I recently had a track rental so I finally got around to setting up the ME and making sure it was gonna spray. I noticed however that my bottle pressure was very low, I believe around 300-400psi and that I could not see the nitrous when I cracked the bottle open or purged. So my question is; could I have no nitrous in my bottle but still have pressure? I have not weighed the bottle yet.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weight it first. should be around 24.5 lbs if you have 10lbs of nitrous in it. IT will be marked on the bottle.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

been huffing the N2O ? just kidding
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't "see" nitrous in a gaseous state. When you crack a bottle open what you see is the moisture in the air from the humidity.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You can't "see" nitrous in a gaseous state. When you crack a bottle open what you see is the moisture in the air from the humidity.
I did a search and found the same answer. My main concern was of all the times I cracked the bottle or purged I could see it(which now that I think of it was always in the summer), and now that the bottle pressure is so low I figured something was up. I won't be able to weigh the bottle until tomorrow night but if it does weigh enough to show that there is nitrous in the bottle, is there a way to raise the bottle pressure that much?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Grifter
I did a search and found the same answer. My main concern was of all the times I cracked the bottle or purged I could see it(which now that I think of it was always in the summer), and now that the bottle pressure is so low I figured something was up. I won't be able to weigh the bottle until tomorrow night but if it does weigh enough to show that there is nitrous in the bottle, is there a way to raise the bottle pressure that much?
Put a bottle heater on it or put it in warm water and watch the gauge on it. Weigh it first so you know how many pounds are left in the bottle.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Put a bottle heater on it or put it in warm water and watch the gauge on it. Weigh it first so you know how many pounds are left in the bottle.
I had the bottle heater on it but it didn't raise too much. First thing first; weigh it. I REALLY hope this bottle isn't leaking again...

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Grifter
I had the bottle heater on it but it didn't raise too much. First thing first; weigh it. I REALLY hope this bottle isn't leaking again...

Thanks for the help guys.
Yeah you might only have a pound or 2 in there. Get out the old bathroom scale or one of those scales to weigh fish with the hook on it and see what you got.

I used the fish scale at the track since its smaller and easier to carry around.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just weighed my bottle; 17.3lbs.

So what does that tell me? Seems low to me but it was leaking wouldn't it be empty? The only time I've used the nitrous is when I cracked the bottle a couple times and when I purged it about 5-10 times.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have like 2 1/2 pounds in there. Leak.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mother...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Launching!

if u have a leak its a very slow one find someone that can fill it with air at hi pressure to test it. if it took that long to leak down , it could be the cutoff valve. but it may open up at hi pressures
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just talked with Nitrous Outlet. Said its probably a very small, slow leak and if I actually used the nitrous I'd never notice it.

Quick Reply: Low Bottle Pressure and Can't See Nitrous.