Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 c5 80k miles safe for 75 dry shot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 c5 80k miles safe for 75 dry shot?

Hey guys i want to add the juice to my c5 corvette.. I already have 2 carbon fiber bottles and the lines, wot switch etc... is this safe to spray? should I pull timing, what safety devices are needed. I want the car to be safe. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really not the one to input anything here, but until someone else does I'll pitch in..

For just a 75 shot you shouldn't need to adjust timing, I don't think you need to until around a 125 shot or more. I think 80k miles would be fine to spray a 75 shot on, but if the motors been beat on then thats another thing. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should adjust timing for every shot if you want to be safe. But if you want to take a chance then don't adjust timing.

On a wet 100 shot i had to retard 3 degrees from stock ls1 timing. When i sprayed on stock timing I was picking up knock everywhere.

Also I would advise going with a colder plug and non projected tip. Br6ef made by NGK wouldn't be a bad plug to start with.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Some cars require some timing to be pulled from stock where other do not require timing to be pulled. It all depends on type of fuel, stock timing, mods and plugs. As far as the motor taking it with 80 miles that should be no problem at all.

Some safety features that i would look at getting would be a window switch to keep you nitrous from spraying to low or to high in the rpm. Something else to look into would be a heater to keep you pressure up in to bottle.

Spark plug change would be the biggest safety addition. usually we put people into BR7EF plugs.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

follow up question. should I go wet or dry?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Launching!

i have a ls3 camaro and sprayin a small shot with the br7ef and they look good after a hard pull. i havent pulled timing yet thats why im still on a small shot. if u think ur gonna stay at 75 a dry would probably be fine i think. but if u want to go bigger later thats where a wet would be nice.

im new to the n20 but , ive talked to alot of nitrous techs and ppl at the track and i think im learnin a bit.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

75 shot will be fine Id atleast step it up to a 100 shot though. A good rule of thumb on nitrous is to pull 2 degrees for every 50 shot. Also run a colder non projected tip plug. ngk br7ef part number 3346 at your local part store are great plugs for spray. gapped .032 to .035. I been hitting my c5 for a few years now with a 150 wet shot its just under 80k
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 95lt1vette
follow up question. should I go wet or dry?
I have a couple of questions for you. What kind of modifications have you already done to your car?? Exhaust, intake, cam, fuel system, etc.

Also if you have any modifications to your car already then you have to keep in mind how far you can go on the fuel system. I can help you out with that if you can answer the questions above.

The deciding factor will really be tune. The dry shot will have to be tuned to add the appropriate fuel into the system. Since the dry system introduces the appropriate fuel by the injectors, the computer has to be tuned for the dry shot.

Wet shots can be a little easier to tune for someone looking to add just a small shot. Since the fuel is being added with the nitrous by the fuel solenoid, there can be less tuning required (ie computer doesn't have to add fuel threw the injectors)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

car is stock for now.. am putting on a vararam and slp powerflo exhaust thats going to be it.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95lt1vette
car is stock for now.. am putting on a vararam and slp powerflo exhaust thats going to be it.
With the above mods my vote is a simple dry kit. Do not start with a 100 shot! Start small and work your way up. I would even suggest starting with a 50 shot until you get use to the system.

As others have said the NGK 3346 plug is a very good plug. I have used it for several years. The engine will be fine only if you take baby steps and use the nitrous correctly. You did not ask about the rest of the power train. As others have said watch your timing and air fuel ratio as you move up in the size of nitrous jet you use.

The more simple a mod the better off you are!!

Good luck!

N2

Quick Reply: 2004 c5 80k miles safe for 75 dry shot?