Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got some plugs pulled - help with reading please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finally got some plugs pulled - help with reading please!

Only pulling Plug #5 at this event due to time constraints, however, melted the strap on this plug at previous outing and all other were perfect so figure it's the hot one! Set-up on this Run: 78 N2O and 36 Fuel at 48 llbs in dedicated. N2O Pressure of 1040 PSI. Pulling 10 degrees from base timing of 25 degrees. 114 in the dedicated and mix 114/94 in main tank. NGK BR9ES plugs. A/F was 12.8 to 12.5 through the entire run. Outside temp around 65 degrees. Also, given poor track prep at closed airport was using a 2 second ramp from 25% to 100% on the front end so I'm thinking that would create slightly less heat on the run. No times on this run as no timers at this venue but it's been running 10.5s on richer tune. Appreciate everyone's thoughts/opinions!

P.S. I'm thinking still a little rich and I should pull another degree and lean it out a little more.....

Last edited by CanadianEh!; 09-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its still a touch rich, how did it run? Your own advise at the end sounds about what I would do, I would actually pull more like 2-3 lean it out a bit more and them start watching the slip to make sure MPH is improving each degree you put back in her, but i think your getting close, remember too little timing hurts nothing but performance too much hurts parts, better to be on the safe side IMO
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a better pic of base ring?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club

Default Better angle on the base ring.....

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
got a better pic of base ring?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Default Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
its still a touch rich, how did it run? Your own advise at the end sounds about what I would do, I would actually pull more like 2-3 lean it out a bit more and them start watching the slip to make sure MPH is improving each degree you put back in her, but i think your getting close, remember too little timing hurts nothing but performance too much hurts parts, better to be on the safe side IMO
I seemed really strong at that A/F and timing but no timer at that event to truly guage performance. I did go back out today where I ran the A/F around 13.2 working down to 12.5 by the end of the run on the same timing. That netted me my best time this year on a 200 shot at 10.44 at 131 mph (also best mph). Pulled #5 plug today and looked fine but I agree it would be smarter to pull more timing.....

Last edited by CanadianEh!; 10-02-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CanadianEh!
I seemed really strong at that A/F and timing but no timer at that event to truly guage performance. I did go back out today where I ran the A/F around 13.2 working down to 12.5 by the end of the run on the same timing. That netted me my best time this year on a 200 shot at 10.44 at 131 mph (also best mph). Did not pull plugs today though but I agree it would be smarter to pull more timing.....
based on the fact you have gained 16mph on that shot, you are def making some power.

My assessment is slightly rich and leave timing as is until fuel adjusted.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
Ha, that should be a quote for the nitrous section.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Still rich, n2o pressure too high (try 950 off the line), pull two degrees when you lean it out, you can always add it back.

fwiw - 15 degrees is fine for that level however just to be safe I suggested pulling two.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter01
Still rich, n2o pressure too high (try 950 off the line), pull two degrees when you lean it out, you can always add it back.

fwiw - 15 degrees is fine for that level however just to be safe I suggested pulling two.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Default Thanks Everyone for the feedback!

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! I'll definately pull a couple of degrees, lean it out slowly, add back timing the same way and read the plugs! I must say a lot has changed from when I started out a few years back aiming for A/F in the 11.7-11.5 range and thinking A/F in the 10s was dead safe! Pulling plugs is the way to go and my senario is the perfect example why. I thought because my base timing was really conservative at 25 degrees and I was pulling 10 degrees (2 more degrees than the rule of thumb of 2 degrees for every 50 rwhp) I was very safe. Turns out my timing mark is just OK as is but likely would have melted a strap if only 8 degrees pulled. Also, the car clearly makes more power leaned out so as long as timing is safe that's a huge bonus! This is starting to get fun again! Again, thanks to everyone who helps out us new guys - I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it's greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You're are doing it the right way and seem to have a good handle on it already.

As carter said take your bottle pressure down to 950, take some fuel psi out of the dedicated(try 1psi first) and 2-3* more timing and see what that gets you. That should get you slightly leaner than you are now. Taking the bottle pressure down to 950 may negate the change in fuel psi, but you'll still be working towards a better tune. If it doesn't get you any leaner try taking another .5psi out and see what that gets you. If that gets you in the AFR ball park and fuel ring ball park you were looking for, judge the heat on the strap and start putting .5-1.0 degree back in it and watch the increments on the slip and the MPH to judge whether or not it likes or wants the timing back in it.

I think you're good on the timing you're running now especially with that fuel, but get the fuel ring cleaned up a little more.

I think it's so funny to see guys saying run it at 11.x AFR and when I ask what their plugs look like they say "perfect". Just looking at your fuel ring with the AFR you are running at goes to show that there is no way in hell 11.x AFR will give you a "perfect" plug reading.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

i hope i get half as good as yall at reading plugs when i get mine running. lots of good tech in this section nowadays.

yall deserve a beer.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by msydow
i hope i get half as good as yall at reading plugs when i get mine running. lots of good tech in this section nowadays.

yall deserve a beer.
Someone had to start doing it for far to long the fast guys kept this stuff "secret".

Nice to see everyone sharing data and opinions.

Quick Reply: Finally got some plugs pulled - help with reading please!