Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10's/4.11's in High Mileage '98 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4.10's/4.11's in High Mileage '98 F-Body

I posted a thread about a week ago about all of the work that I was doing on my car which consisted of: new oil pump(Melling High-Flow Oil Pump), new heads (243 heads), new lifters (LS7 Lifters), new dual valve springs(Brian Tooley duals and retainers), new cam(Texas-Speed 224R), new timing chain(LS2 Timing Chain), and a few other things I've probably failed to mention.

While I'm doing all of this, I was thinking why not go ahead and get the gears done. The car has 167,000 miles on it. It's a '98 Trans Am M6.

Doing a little research, I've heard that 9 pinion teeth and 37 ring gear teeth are about the best to go for in terms of durability with 4.10's/4.11's. The car will be under 500 horsepower for the rest of this car's life, which is what I was told the 4.10's/4.11's do well if they do not exceed that 500 horsepower mark. Also, the car will not be running drag radials. It is also my daily driver. VERY seldom, if not ever, will the car be taken to the track (I'm simply too busy as a full time college student and working two jobs).

There are two companies that I am hearing a lot about, Motive and Richmond. Both get mixed reviews.

Now to my questions. Is all of the above information that I've found so far correct? Also, where can I find some 4.11's with these specs listed above (9 pinion teeth, 37 ring gear teeth) for my T/A? And last but not least: how well will the rear end hold up (sometimes I get a little sporty with the car but most of the time I'm easing around town)?

NOTE: The rear end fluids will be replaced during this huge project with some Amsoil rear end fluid (spec'd to OEM specification).

Before I forget, thanks for all of the help guys.

Quick Reply: 4.10's/4.11's in High Mileage '98 F-Body