Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9's first time out..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickie-311
this is what i plan on for parts to start : am i on the right track ?

moser 9 rearend ( shortened 2" per side) w/3.70 gear

built 4l60e

yank 3600 stall

TSP MS3 CAM ( with suporting valve springs)

arp rod bolts

f.a.s.t 90 intake

90mm TB

30LBS INJECTORS

WELD RT-s wheels

and nitrous i'm not sure on
Bad converter choice. Go custom cam. Rod bolts are for assurance not necessary. I'm not sure I would do a fast either.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dickie-311
this is what i plan on for parts to start : am i on the right track ?

moser 9 rearend ( shortened 2" per side) w/3.70 gear

built 4l60e

yank 3600 stall

TSP MS3 CAM ( with suporting valve springs)

arp rod bolts

f.a.s.t 90 intake

90mm TB

30LBS INJECTORS

WELD RT-s wheels

and nitrous i'm not sure on

+1 on the converter. Ours came with the car is only reason we are running it now. It is getting sent to PTC to get reworked soon when we do gear swap to 3.70 . I would get the MS3 on a 112 0r 113 LSA if you are set on it or custom as Jacob suggested , keep the LS6 intake. Nitrous Outlet 78 mm plate, RPM, FLT, level 7, or Rossler Terminator III trans, custom converter. Spend the $$$ you save on the fast setup for suspension mods. We are swapping to a custom grind suited better for nitrous soon also.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

As others have said a .088 jet is not "almost" a 300 shot, it is around a 250 shot and I need to say that very loosely because as others have also stated all plates will flow a little bit differently. I never got the chance to put my NO plate on the dyno, but the NX plate picked up between 250-262rwhp with a .082 jet(rated at 225 per NX IIRC), -6 line used on everything but nitrous to plate and fuel to plate lines and a .500" orifice bottle valve. 17* timing adding to 18.5* by 7000rpm and 11.9-12.3 AFR on C16.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Like martin said above in my "flowed" plate by induction solutions a .082 = 225 and .086= 250 now real world gains could vary +/- depending on setups, with custom grind n20 cams and thne setups youd can obviously see more gains. The fuel jet paired up with the n2o jet also plays a big role. Lean is mean and rich is retarded. Merry xmas
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeEnAgE pHeNoM
Bad converter choice. Go custom cam. Rod bolts are for assurance not necessary. I'm not sure I would do a fast either.
Originally Posted by Killer5.3
+1 on the converter. Ours came with the car is only reason we are running it now. It is getting sent to PTC to get reworked soon when we do gear swap to 3.70 . I would get the MS3 on a 112 0r 113 LSA if you are set on it or custom as Jacob suggested , keep the LS6 intake. Nitrous Outlet 78 mm plate, RPM, FLT, level 7, or Rossler Terminator III trans, custom converter. Spend the $$$ you save on the fast setup for suspension mods. We are swapping to a custom grind suited better for nitrous soon also.
You guys must be off your rocker to pull a Yank for a PTC.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12

why is that?... i actually have a PTC converter in my stang and like it alot... but was just going to try something different and go to a yank converter .
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Thanks Lemons. You beat me to it. I have had no luck with PTC converters and OD transmissions. Plus a Yank would never be sent to PTC to get restalled. That's a down grade. I know they are close to you OP but not the best choice IMO. I have had 3 OD transmissions fail because of their converters and constantly had a balance problem. I put in a Coan racing converter and have never looked back.

You need to be talking to Greg at FTI. He is like the All Pro of the torque converter world. He keeps his business small enough so he can keep QC tight and produce a top notch product.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^Thanks Lemons. You beat me to it. I have had no luck with PTC converters and OD transmissions. Plus a Yank would never be sent to PTC to get restalled. That's a down grade. I know they are close to you OP but not the best choice IMO. I have had 3 OD transmissions fail because of their converters and constantly had a balance problem. I put in a Coan racing converter and have never looked back.

You need to be talking to Greg at FTI. He is like the All Pro of the torque converter world. He keeps his business small enough so he can keep QC tight and produce a top notch product.
I have had good luck with PTC converters in the past ,but, it was with th350 or powerglide. Wasn't aware of any issues with their 4l60E stuff. I definitely don't want a $4500 trans grenaded because of converter issues. I just know that Yank doesn't really offer any custom nitrous converters that I have seen on their website or that anyone has mentioned. I know FTI has done some really nice converters for the TH350/400 stuff ,but, I haven't seen anything that has impressed me with 4l60E setups. I am definitely open to different ideas though. I will give Greg a call at FTI and see what he has to offer.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
I have had good luck with PTC converters in the past ,but, it was with th350 or powerglide. Wasn't aware of any issues with their 4l60E stuff. I definitely don't want a $4500 trans grenaded because of converter issues. I just know that Yank doesn't really offer any custom nitrous converters that I have seen on their website or that anyone has mentioned. I know FTI has done some really nice converters for the TH350/400 stuff ,but, I haven't seen anything that has impressed me with 4l60E setups. I am definitely open to different ideas though. I will give Greg a call at FTI and see what he has to offer.
I actually just saw a post somewhere from Yank about their featured "power adder" converters:
http://www.converter.cc/product_p/pas-ls.htm

With that said, I chose Circle D and could not be happier:
https://www.circledspecialties.com
Old 12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

I have never been impressed with Yank on a nitrous car.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet

I'd be willing to give any company a shot, however I've never seen anything bad come from PTC. I just need it to be RIGHT from whatever company restalls it.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never been impressed with Yank on a nitrous car.
Then you will be even more let down with a PTC.

I'd be willing to give any company a shot, however I've never seen anything bad come from PTC. I just need it to be RIGHT from whatever company restalls it
Greg@ FTI, Walker@Coan Racing, or Circle D is who you need to be talking to. I'm partial to Greg. He has put alot of cars on point with his converters and Camscam is one of them.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a lot of good converter builders. it's all about finding something that works for you, and with a company that is willing to work with you..
I work with ATI, Coan, Hughes, and have had real good results with all of them.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

I'm running a PTC with a 4l60e, so far so good. It was a yank that I sent to them. So far I'm happy, I wasn't unhappy with the yank, but I needed it re-stalled and I wanted to see what they could do with it. I have heard good things about FTI, so I wouldn't hesitate to call them either.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:52 AM
FormerVendor

Lemons is a big PTC fan, I believe he was just stirring the pot with his comment.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Lemons is a big PTC fan, I believe he was just stirring the pot with his comment.
Lol. I just actually noticed his sig. It says PTC in capital letters. I now sense the sarcasm. I'm guessing that Yank is the top dog on here for most cars?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Lol. I just actually noticed his sig. It says PTC in capital letters. I now sense the sarcasm. I'm guessing that Yank is the top dog on here for most cars?
There is nothing wrong with a Yank converter first let me say. They are the standard on this website and in a lot of street/strip LS cars.

Now, that said, you just don't see or at least hear of anyone running one in a fast heads up class like X275, ODR, OL275 or even OL10.5. What you do see in those classes is PTC, Pro Torque, ATI, UCC, Coan, Neil Chance, Bradco, FTI, and Cameron's. You just don't see any Yank converters...in fact the fastest Yank powered car that I know of personally is David Childress' old Mighty Mouse Trans Am and it went 8.49@163 in the 1/4 and 5.40's@130 in the 1/8th. I always wondered what Dave's car would go with a different converter, but it did run damn good.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

There is nothing wrong with a Yank converter first let me say. They are the standard on this website and in a lot of street/strip LS cars.

Now, that said, you just don't see or at least hear of anyone running one in a fast heads up class like X275, ODR, OL275 or even OL10.5. What you do see in those classes is PTC, Pro Torque, ATI, UCC, Coan, Neil Chance, Bradco, FTI, and Cameron's. You just don't see any Yank converters...in fact the fastest Yank powered car that I know of personally is David Childress' old Mighty Mouse Trans Am and it went 8.49@163 in the 1/4 and 5.40's@130 in the 1/8th. I always wondered what Dave's car would go with a different converter, but it did run damn good.
Well I feel as if my car runs pretty decent with the yank converter, but it's getting about 8% slip on the big end. I know of plenty cars that run quite well with Yank converters. However, I'm sure you can agree there is room for improvement. Maybe if they started offering custom stalls for applications that they could expand their customer base to different markets. I think Yank makes a damn fine product.

Btw Martin I think I met some of you guys at an LsX shootout one year. I've been considering getting with you on a camshaft recommendation.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Well I feel as if my car runs pretty decent with the yank converter, but it's getting about 8% slip on the big end. I know of plenty cars that run quite well with Yank converters. However, I'm sure you can agree there is room for improvement. Maybe if they started offering custom stalls for applications that they could expand their customer base to different markets. I think Yank makes a damn fine product.

Btw Martin I think I met some of you guys at an LsX shootout one year. I've been considering getting with you on a camshaft recommendation.
8% is actually decent and nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure you did meet Jonathan and his dad at the Shootout a while back. We haven't been to one in about a year though....we plan to hit the series up this year with the shop car and my car when the new engine goes in soon.

Let me know on the cam, I would be glad to do a grind for you.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

8% is actually decent and nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure you did meet Jonathan and his dad at the Shootout a while back. We haven't been to one in about a year though....we plan to hit the series up this year with the shop car and my car when the new engine goes in soon.

Let me know on the cam, I would be glad to do a grind for you.
Yeah. It's not terrible. It was just getting 6% before I upped the shot. I also have the same 1/8th mile trap speed on the bigger shot. I went 109.75 on a 175 shot. 110.5-111 on a 200 and 110.5 on the 250.

Would you be willing to just send me the recommendation? I have a guy who grinds them for me for a good price.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah. It's not terrible. It was just getting 6% before I upped the shot. I also have the same 1/8th mile trap speed on the bigger shot. I went 109.75 on a 175 shot. 110.5-111 on a 200 and 110.5 on the 250.

Would you be willing to just send me the recommendation? I have a guy who grinds them for me for a good price.
I most certainly would be willing to do that. If he uses comp I can give you the lobe numbers, icl advance and lsa to be ground on.

Quick Reply: 9's first time out..