Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my NXL accumulator . . . now what

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my NXL accumulator . . . now what

Got it today, but no instuctions in box.

Seems straightforward, but a few questions:

- what is the smaller outlet for on the bottom for, where does it connect to (is this overflow)
- are we supposed to use teflon tape on the fittings?
- I cannot for the life of me get the blue hose over the fitting with the yellow disk around it as shown in the pics that were posted in my other thread by "Brains." How the hell do I get this hose on (as I am typing with bloody knuckles from trying to get it on) Is their some trick to it? Do I need to use a lube or something?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. The small outlet is a safety drain. If the seals on the piston were ever to fail, this hose is intended to drain the fuel away from anything dangerous. Run it out the bottom of the car somewhere that won't hit hot exhaust or (directly) tires. There's three seals on the piston, so its a pretty tough chance there'd be a leak. Glad they gave the option of having a drain though, safety first!

2. You can, I did. Just made it easier to get it all leak-free.

3. I used a very small amount of moly assembly lube (it was close at hand) smeared on the inside of the hose. You can use pretty much any lubricant though, maybe a little motor oil or something. Its not the easiest stuff to assemble, that socketless hose is pretty stout But once its on, it won't pull off under pressure.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the quick reply, I tried oil but still didnt work. Looks like it is bunching up inside, like it is caught on something. I will just cut off this 1/2 inch and try it again. But if that fails can I just cut this thing and then get some small band clamps around it or is that the dumb thing to do
Old 04-16-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its safest to push the hose in like its supposed to be.. The inner teflon liner of the hose is intended to be a tight fit over the barbs, so the barbs will cut in and lock the hose in place. Just keeeeep pushin'
Old 04-16-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, I gave up and went to AutoZone and picked up some high-pressure 3/8 (little bigger) fuel line. Still fits damn snug, and I was not able to pull it off after I got it on. I put some band clamps around it also just to make sure
Old 04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

NX sent the wrong size hose. I had the same problem. They sent me -6 hose today, free. I did not know they had even sent it out! My knuckles are bloody too.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

doh.. did they send -4 hose originally? I'll bet your knuckles would be bloody
Old 04-19-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes -4, I was cursing up a storm. Finally, I just put it down and decided to f with later. -6 should work much better, eh?

anybody know the 'best' place to mount on a vette?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

The -6 will go on pretty quickly

I'd probably look at putting it on the passenger side, in front of the cylinder head where the EGR valve would go on an older F-body... Either that, or maybe in the battery box if you wanted to drill and grommet the holes for the lines.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, that explains it - glad I wasnt the only one. Guess I could have called them to get the correct hose. I was going crazy trying to get that hose on

Does it matter what position the accumulator goes in, horizontal, vertical or other wise? Does this ONE bracket really hold it in place with just ONE screw?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the dumbasses sent mine with a signature required. Dont they realize I work and cant sit at home waiting for a $50 part to be delievered? No common sense
Old 04-19-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

The position doesn't matter, but make sure you purge the air out of it first. The easiest way I think to do it is:

1. Have a buddy man the ignition key. Turn the key off at this point.
2. Hook up the accumulator as normal, and leave the fitting at the accum. slightly loose.
3. Put a wrench on the fitting, and wrap a rag around the top to catch the fuel that's going to want to spray around.
4. Have your buddy click the key on/off until you get fuel. Then tighten the fitting.

RX7: Its better than it showing up missing, where they have to re-deliver it on their dime when they're already selling it under cost.. Not to mention all the finger pointing that would go on between UPS, NX, and the customer. A lot of shops send things sig. required because of that hassle. An inconvenience we sometimes have to deal with. Crime sucks.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the fitting at the rail leave loose or the fitting at the safety drain? Or is there another fitting. I dont have mine yet so I have no idea
Old 04-19-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol... NX did that to me also... but my dealer already received the correct fuel line from them... just need to meet up w/ him to get it
Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

You really won't do anything with the drain, other than putting it in and routing that tube somewhere safe...

You want to put the line right on the fuel rail, and nearly tight on the accumulator. Then purge the air from the line and fill the top of the accumulator. You want all the air out of the line to make the best use of the unit. Air is compressable, gasoline isn't -- the less air, the better the response of the accumulator. Once all the air is out, tighten down the fittings and mount it where you need it to be.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, just got the car back yesterday with the NXL kit installed, I am going to drop the accumulator in today, but do I need to remove everything all over to get to the back of the passenger rail or is their an easier way
Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should just be able to remove the allen headed plug with it in the car but I put the crossover on the back side so my front is open.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can reach it no problem. The accumulator install will have your removing the entire fitting though, not just the allen head cup plug. So grab your stubby wrench and have at it
Old 04-20-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to ask but what is the stubby wrench - or is it another term for your standard wrench. was this something that was supposed to come with the kit. Its bad enough I just found out that I am missing 18, 12, and 26 jets. I hope I am not missing more parts, I wish they shipped me manual so I can check
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, just a short wrench you can more comfortably fit back behind the rail I have a set of short stubby ratcheting wrenches I used, and it makes the job nice and easy...