Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Lean condition with plate kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Anyone ever sprayed nitrous dry and used the "adder vs IAT" table to provide the additional fuel? With enough fuel injector that would seem to be an alternative since I'm always at a locked IAT when the nitrous sprays anyway due to the timing IAT relay.

Of course I'd have to change the tune for the injectors and sell the customer injectors.... And I'm not sure how low I'd have to command the afr to actually achieve what I'm shooting for.

Just thinking outside the box since nothing normal seems to fix this.... Atleast there wouldn't be fuel flowing through an intake that was never designed for fuel to flow through it.
Yes, thats definitely another option on the 99+ with a COS. I've always wondered what would happen if your IAT sensor crapped out during a pull though lol. It seems like youre hitting all the major trouble areas, although youre latest pulls looks like it goes lean AT the hit as opposed to mid-pull.

Odd question, does it do it in any gear? I assume all of your pulls on the dyno were in the same gear.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minytrker
You can use custom operating system with efi live and have the o2's off at idle and turn on after x rpm and still run CL. With the custom os you can also fine tune fuel on nitrous and have PCM pull timing without having to cheat iat or any other sensors .
Sounds like efilive has some nice features, but I only have hpt. I already have unlimited credits on all the gen 3 and 4 cars so I'm not really looking to spend more money though. I've done cars with HPT that are open loop below 2000ish rpms by just commanding PE at 0 percent tps and setting the multiplier to 0 as well.

I'm seriously thinking about installing some larger injectors just to see if it clears this issue up... Cheating the IAT has already been done for the timing anyway.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You ve changed everything except the pump. Why not look into that? You may have a sock on the pump that collapsing but providing just enough fuel on motor and its filling the volume towards the end of the run.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We're trying the set-up dry now. I'm sure Jonathan will report back soon.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the Fuel Filter? Sounds like your are robbing the rail of fuel and then the pump slowly catches back up?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RickClarke23
Have you checked the Fuel Filter? Sounds like your are robbing the rail of fuel and then the pump slowly catches back up?
Filter and pump is less than 3 weeks old.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Filter and pump is less than 3 weeks old.
C'mon Martin, I have had stuff bad out of the box. You wont know until you change it.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We tuned it "dry" via the iat fuel adder table and it is finally usable atleast. The fuel curve mimics the way it has been going lean, but now the lean slope shortly after it hits only leans up to around 13:1 afr with an afr of high 11's at the top of the pull.

It was a lot easier to change the tune in this way than the fuel pump... And since its safe now i'll be glad to see it go!

No one is going to convince me the pump is bad anyway when the fuel pressure safety switch and a pressure gauge tells me they are fine. I've diagnosed too many faulty or weak pumps with a gauge to think its a volume issue that still has perfect pressure...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
We tuned it "dry" via the iat fuel adder table and it is finally usable atleast. The fuel curve mimics the way it has been going lean, but now the lean slope shortly after it hits only leans up to around 13:1 afr with an afr of high 11's at the top of the pull.

It was a lot easier to change the tune in this way than the fuel pump... And since its safe now i'll be glad to see it go!

No one is going to convince me the pump is bad anyway when the fuel pressure safety switch and a pressure gauge tells me they are fine. I've diagnosed too many faulty or weak pumps with a gauge to think its a volume issue that still has perfect pressure...
Bring a horse to water but can't ............

I might not have been the pump. It could be the sock on it or something else in the tank.

I told you to put a standalone in it to try and see if it would cure that and if it did then you know its a fuel delivery issue and head in that direction. You still kept trying everything except to see about the pump which you didn't look into or change.

It's your shop and money so I can't tell you what to do but I'm glad you got it comfortable enough let it leave.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What cells is it hitting in the VE table when the nitrous is active, what are the g/cyl, where is it at on the MAF curve?

Have any of these values been adjusted in the tune file?

Can you post the log file and the tune file?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

so it still lean slopes up with a dry hit? Really only one possibility then.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Yup, fuel.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pressure and volume are two different things.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In addtion, VE on nitrous and VE on motor are two different things.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I hope for the customers sake he is either following the thread or will at least be made aware that the car still has a potential issue.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Pressure and volume are two different things.
I already said that but nobody listened.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://cnx.org/content/m42205/latest...ol11406/latest

I wonder if it could have a restriction somewhere like a crimped line or something? You would still have pressure ,but, volume would decrease thus causing it to run lean.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

If it's a volume issue then why is it not lean the entire run?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
If it's a volume issue then why is it not lean the entire run?
Everything needed to troubleshoot and find the real problem has been posted in this thread already. For whatever reason y'all want to be in denial that it could be the pump, you can't rule out something if you dont test it. When walbro had that bad batch of pumps years back I put 3 brand new pumps in the same car. Thats hard to swallow but anything is possible with electrical parts.
It could be volume and not be lean the whole run in a couple of different ways. The pump may just not be keeping up with the initial demand and once past that its able to keep up.
I wish yall would stick with it and find out the real issue, it may suck and take some time but it can only be so many things. You just have to troubleshoot a nitrous kit, I can think of a lot of other jobs that could be a lot worse.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

its only time-tell the customer you are having issues

he or she will understand,if they don't you don't want them as a customer

then pull the whole car down ,find out what it is,learn something and next time or if this happens again you guys will know how to fix it in 5 minutes

its also good testing

any pics of the plugs ?

external fuel filter ?

if so is it in the right direction ?

Quick Reply: Strange Lean condition with plate kit