Sponsored by:

20 deg timing with 175 shot...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVracr
I disagree.
I think they give guys a false sense of security, they think "it didnt pick up any knock, it must be good"

No Knock sensor ever saved anyones motor.
They are useless IMO and we dont now and never have used them to tell us anything about our tune up.

We use spark plugs to verifiy what the wideband tells us.
Wideband is VERY useful.
i agree, i dont even have knock sensors on any car i own... If anything they pick up "false" knock and just making tuning more complex for what I use my cars for, and also throw off the consistancy of how the car runs if it decides it wants to start pulling timing. Logging/watching wideband and verifying with plug pulling is THE ONLY way to tell if your tune up is right. start conservative work your way up. If you take note to the dyno chart I posted, you'll see it took us 20-some-odd runs and a small fortune in NGK -9 plugs to get everything the way we wanted.. adjusting fuel pressure, timing, jet sizes, and other portions of the tune to get it right.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you took my thought a little the wrong way. In the event things were once spot on, then for some reason later down the road you see knock on the data logger, one should ask why and investigate.

In no way should they be used as a replacement to checking plugs, using an AFR gauge etc.. One should not rely on them to keep them out of trouble. Same reason I check plugs every pass, or even tire pressure for that matter.

But, they can tell you info. I have seen KR on motor off the initial hit but <1 second in the log it is gone. It wasn't false KR either. I was a couple degrees too aggressive on the initial timing map. Pulled 2 degrees and it was gone. Added the 2 degrees back in, it was there again. There was not enough detonation to see it on the plugs as it happed and went away entirely too fast. Did not have the issue on the dyno as it doesn't load the same. My timing table is not a flat line, the motor like a little more/less at certain rpms.

Dyno tells you one thing, but track incraments tell you more info.

Quick Reply: 20 deg timing with 175 shot...