Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on the spray and Major Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First time on the spray and Major Problems

I'm having major problems with my car. I had to have the transmission replaced so I have not driven the car in six weeks. The day I got the car back I took it for drive, when I sprayed it the freeze plug on the back of the passenger side head blew out. When the plug blew I had all kinds of throttle body performance codes flashing. I shut the car down right way, it did not get over 210 degrees. When the plug blew the pcm threw another code po522 which is a low voltage oil sensor code. I cleared the codes and the po522 code returned. The car will not start and when it does it revs sky high and I have the shut in down. Does anybody have any ides as to what is wrong. I'm really starting to get frustrated!

By the the way the car is a 02 Z06 with a new 348 built and installed by a well known tuner. I was sparying a NX 150 shot when all this happened!
Old 05-08-2004, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

If your car revs really high on start up you have a major vacuum leak somewhere. Are you sure you didn't blow an intake gasket or something? Hope you find the problem.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It almost sounds like you had a backfire from nitrous that popped the sensor out of the back of the intake and your sucking a bunch of air through that. Fix that then when the car can be started see what the oil pressure is at.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Launching!

It sounds like you had a nitrous backfire and blew out the plug in the back on the intake which would cause it to rev high.When it did that it hit the oil sending unit which is right behind the plug in the intake and that might be your problem.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

You guys are exactly right. I just got a chance to look things over, and the entire back of the intake is completly blown apart. Could pulling to much timing cause a nitrous backfire?

Last edited by Z06kern; 05-08-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z06kern
You guys are exactly right. I just got a chance to look things over, and the entire back of the intake is completly blown apart. Could pulling to much timing cause a nitrous backfire?
nitrous backfires are usually a combination of too low RPM when spraying, and a lean condition along with some fuel puddled in the intake.

Imagine this scenario:

1. You spray a wet shot, but at too low of an rpm (say 2500 for a 150 shot), and some fuel puddles into the intake thanks to insufficient vacuum from the motor at this RPM.

2. Your mixture is now lean, and enters the cylinder. Combustion occurs, but is hotter then normal due to lean condition.

3. Due to extra exhaust volume, not all exhaust is pushed out of the valve before the intake valve opens - hot exhaust gas heats up the air in the intake manifold.

4. vapor in the manifold from the puddled fuel ignites thanks to the hot air - nitrous backfire.

So, when spraying a big wet shot, you gotta hit it at a higher RPM - ESPECIALLY if you have a larger cam with an earlier Intake Valve Opening point (which promotes reversion at lower RPM).

Fear of a nitrous backfire is one reason why I run 2 stages - dont need such a big first shot.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Very good, concise explanation Draco!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:17 AM
9 Second Club

Your explaination was great, but I am still trying to figure out why this would happen. I have a window switch set at 3600 on and 6400 off. When the backfire occured I was about 6000 RPM. The car is equipped with a wot switch also. I had the motor and nitrous system installed all at the same time, as a result they could not tune the car on the nitrous because the motor was new. So as a precaution I had I few degrees of timing taken out just to be on the safe side. I thought I had all the bases covered with making this a safe system until I could take it back and get it tuned. I was wrong!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Your explaination was great, but I am still trying to figure out why this would happen. I have a window switch set at 3600 on and 6400 off. When the backfire occured I was about 6000 RPM. The car is equipped with a wot switch also. I had the motor and nitrous system installed all at the same time, as a result they could not tune the car on the nitrous because the motor was new. So as a precaution I had I few degrees of timing taken out just to be on the safe side. I thought I had all the bases covered with making this a safe system until I could take it back and get it tuned. I was wrong!
Did you upgrade your fuel pump? I can see the pressure dropping on a 150 shot at 6400 rpm. This could cause the system to go lean and backfire with the rest of the lean mixture still in the intake (even with no fuel puddled, yuou could still ignite the air fuel mix).
Old 05-09-2004, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Draco
Did you upgrade your fuel pump? I can see the pressure dropping on a 150 shot at 6400 rpm. This could cause the system to go lean and backfire with the rest of the lean mixture still in the intake (even with no fuel puddled, yuou could still ignite the air fuel mix).
Yes, I have an upgraded in-tank pump and #42 injectors. Is it possible that I did not purge the line good enough and sprayed air into the intake with fuel causing the fuel to puddle in the intake. When the nitrous entered the intake with a excess amount of fuel that caused the backfire.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I have an upgraded in-tank pump and #42 injectors. Is it possible that I did not purge the line good enough and sprayed air into the intake with fuel causing the fuel to puddle in the intake. When the nitrous entered the intake with a excess amount of fuel that caused the backfire.
I dunno man, it's hard to say and my limited knowledge has been exhausted . There are plenty of *possible* things that could have happened... it could have been that your nitrous noid stuck open a bit longer then the fuel noid at 6400 - so many possibilities. Thats one thing that scares me abot spraying - too many points of failure which can result in major problems.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

that is exactly where my intake broke right on the back... mine was a rev limiter hit though had a nitrous backfire... mine bowed the hood... and blew it back over onto the windshield at about 80mph on the track... not fun. the violence of it makes me believe it was a lean nitrous backfire condition...

too much bottle pressure... ?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you blew the freeze plug on the back of the head, then you probably also blew a head gasket. Cylinder pressure entering the cooling system that's only designed to handle ~22psi of pressure on the high side = popped freeze plugs.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mbaskett
If you blew the freeze plug on the back of the head, then you probably also blew a head gasket. Cylinder pressure entering the cooling system that's only designed to handle ~22psi of pressure on the high side = popped freeze plugs.
Thats what I'm hoping happened and not something worse! I will be pulling the head tonight to find out.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Did you check the computer and see what the limiter is set to....also see of your n20 and fuel noids are working correctly (away from the tb of course).
Old 05-14-2004, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mbaskett
It was a blown head gasket! I'm so glad that the block and pistons are all ok, the motor only has 1100 miles on it. Thanks for all the replies and help!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

So were you able to determine what caused the blown head gasket/ nitrous backfire? Stuck solenoid, etc.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

I would be going back tot he builder and be like ahh dude your head gaskets you used are ****.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
I would be going back tot he builder and be like ahh dude your head gaskets you used are ****.
I have contacted the tuner and they were more than happy to pull the head an replace the gasket free of charge. The problem is that I'm 300 miles away, so they just sent me all of the hardware free of charge. I'm just glad it was nothing more than a blown gasket!

I think before I use the spray again, I will be visting a dyno!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by marlowchris
So were you able to determine what caused the blown head gasket/ nitrous backfire? Stuck solenoid, etc.
No, I have not been able the figure out what happened yet. At this point I'm just trying to get the car up and running. My guess is that I was running to rich and fuel puddled in the intake.