Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad nitrous or bad bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad nitrous or bad bottle?

Hey guys, I got a quick question. So I have been having issues with my nitrous not working properly and have been trying to chase it down for awhile. I let someone use my bottle last night and their system started to do the same thing as mine was doing as in cutting out and not gettting a full hit on. So that leads me to believe that it's bad nitrous. I did get it filled from a different place then usual so that what leads me to believe that's it's bad juice. Maybe to much air in the bottle.

Now the person that I let use the bottle thinks that the pick up tube in the bottle is damaged or the vale is damaged some how. So which leads to this post of do you guys think it's bad juice or something wrong with the bottle. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Find another bottle locally and try a different bottle. I wouldn't think bad nitrous.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

When you purge, are you getting a steady stream of white nitrous or is it clear?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could open the bottle and see if you get a steady stream of white. They may have put a bunch of air in the bottle, or the pickup tube assembly/valve could be faulty. Its pretty easy to remove the valve if you want to take it out and look at it.

I'm guessing both cars were going pig rich?

-Garrett
Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so I let the bottle out and it does t have a steady stream of white. It's like it's intermediate. I think there us a lot of air in the bottle.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I refill my own bottles and had a bottle do the same thing once. I emptied the bottle and then put a vacuum pump on it to insure it was completely empty. I filled it back up and never had a problem since. Cant explain it, none of my other bottles filled from the same mother bottle had an issue.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I refill my own bottles and had a bottle do the same thing once. I emptied the bottle and then put a vacuum pump on it to insure it was completely empty. I filled it back up and never had a problem since. Cant explain it, none of my other bottles filled from the same mother bottle had an issue.
Thanks. I'm going to get the bottle refilled and see what it does.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM

i use a old a/c system vac pump on every bottle i have filled for the last 5 plus years i jsut let the know not to turn my bottle on till its hooked up to the mother bottle or pump so its dont loose the vacuum on it
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

It's possible they could have pumped a bunch of air in the nitrous bottle if the mother bottle was almost empty when they filled it.

-Garrett
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 PM
10 Second Truck Club

If u guys say air can contaminate the liquid N2O in a bottle how do you explain why a Nano system works so well? Can u pump 10 lbs. of air in a 10lb. N2O bottle. Hope this starts a little debate....just hate it when people say you can fill a bottle with air.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

We run a NANO system and if I'm not mistaken (I'm a HS math teacher ... not chemistry) the NANO's compressed air is at 3000psi compared to about a third of that for the nitrous. The NANO enters the top of the nitrous bottle and "pushes" the nitrous down to the pickup tube. They don't mix because of the different pressures. Once the nitrous is all gone the compressed air can give a reading on the nitrous gauge making you think you still have nitrous but when you purge it's clear and not white.

Does that sound about right?

Scott
Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I would get it filled up again at the place you trust, and if you still have the problem, I would follow the guys advice above to remove the valve and either replace it, or send it to someone to get inspected.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Launching!

with nano you are doing a pure nitrogen blanket ontop of the liquid. Nitrogen molecules are bigger than air ones. Also zero non condensable gases are in pure nitrogen. So zero inconsistencies with heating and cooling. Don't feel bad being a teacher, I don't even have a full college degree just a HVAC guy turned to the navy.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99french
with nano you are doing a pure nitrogen blanket ontop of the liquid. Nitrogen molecules are bigger than air ones. Also zero non condensable gases are in pure nitrogen. So zero inconsistencies with heating and cooling. Don't feel bad being a teacher, I don't even have a full college degree just a HVAC guy turned to the navy.
Nitrous is nitrogen to begin with. Its the gas that's given off from burning ammonium nitrate at a specific tempature with a hose running from the container of ammonium nitrate threw a pneumatic trough into a container. Yes u can burn ammonium nitrate without it exploding. Can't burn it past 170°c or it will explode!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Sorry for the hijack OP but it's getting all Bill Nye on this one and I think it's pretty cool
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Launching!

i had the same thing happen to me . for about 2 weeks i couldnt figure it out after filling the bottle 3 x. first pass was always strong then it would surge durning passes after that. let out my nitrous out of my bottle took it apart and my pick up tube was about to fall off. so i think it was not angled down and angled up not gettting nitrous unless it was full. fixed it and not had a issue in last 2 outtings

id inspect it before u fill it . no need to waste a full bottle. it sucks to let out a full bottle . i can use that money for other stuff. lol

i got my *** busted at super chevy cause this lol. bracket race and was sleeping on the tree. i was running all motor time but i knew i was in bad shape when i left the line. flipped the switch and killed it even more . couldnt run that guy down.

Last edited by dekan513; 11-01-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're topping off your bottles you should always turn them upside down and purge the air from the headspace every couple fills.

Each time a bottle is filled a small amount of air enters the bottle. Since the air will not condense it will accumulate each time the bottle is filled.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Try another bottle first. I chill all bottles I fill and let it draw the nitrous in with no pumping. I probably top them off 35 times in a season and drained them all after 3 seasons just to make sure they were perfect for this year. You can't get 10lbs of air in a 10lb bottle bu if you have gotten a good amount of air over a few fills it can turn into a funky bottle over many fills.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99french
Nano tells you that you can use nitrogen or just compressed air.

If there is something wrong with the bottle, I would guess the pickup tube might be loose. Sounds like its drawing from both the top and the bottom of the pickup tube.

Edit: Just looked at dekan513's post. That is exactly what I'm referring to.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Nobody I know uses nitrogen in the Nano bottles, just compressed air. Remember, free air is 79% nitrogen. Bottom line you can't contaminate the liquid nitrous with air because nitrous is an oxidizer. If you can Nano doesn't exist! And I have been running one for several years with excellent results.

On several occasions I have worked on others nitrous systems that supposedly had "bad" nitrous only to find things like bad grounds, bad plugs or the jets mixed up and etc.

Quick Reply: bad nitrous or bad bottle?