Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is street life really like with nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How is street life really like with nitrous?

Different threads touch on the specific areas of nitrous however I'm wondering how forgiving it is on the street if all you have is a bottle heater (no bottle baths as it's just you driving).

I'm familiar with what is needed as far as the install items, window switch, regulator, etc.

What I'm mainly asking is , despite hearing how bottle heaters are not that efficient as only one small portion gets really hot and the rest of the bottle is inconsistent temp, is the end result still decent or do you have to be right on the money with a uniformly heated bottle every time?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My NX bottle heater works like a charm every time. Sometimes I wish it would heat up a little faster, but once the pressure is up it stays in that effective range and works great till the bottle gets low of course
Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
My NX bottle heater works like a charm every time. Sometimes I wish it would heat up a little faster, but once the pressure is up it stays in that effective range and works great till the bottle gets low of course
That's refreshing to hear and what kind of bottle heater is it exactly? No problems even on 46°F nights?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

It will take it a bit but once heated it will be easy to maintain. Bottle blanket wrap around it helps maintain some heat in the bottle.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Although it can take a while to fully warm up it will still have no problems even at 46 degrees. I remember it taking about 30 mins one time when it was around 40 outside. Pressure was around 500 psi then took it up to 1000 psi. I don't recall which heater it is exactly but it cost like $260 new. It was one of the nicer ones for sure
Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

At 40 degrees your going to be traction limited anyways lol.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
At 40 degrees your going to be traction limited anyways lol.
Very true lol
Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great stuff, and yeah it will be a roll only pull at that temperature that's forsure.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous

Gents

The life is very enjoyable with nitrous

Regards
Eid
Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah takes a while to heat up. I can't get the pressure switch to work either so I have to keep an eye on the pressure until I can figure that out...
Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, not sure if you saw this or not, but Nitrous Outlet now offers a plug and play wiring harness for your nitrous setup, as well as all the accessories that go with it. I agree with the guys above that a bottle heater, once it's fully heated up the bottle, will do just fine and keep your bottle pressure up. I don't know if certain bottle heaters are better than others in terms of heating the bottle up quicker, but do some research and I'm sure you'll find your answer. I think nitrous is great if you do a lot of drag racing or street racing. If you don't and typically just cruise in the car, I don't see the point of nitrous. For a cruiser, a turbo or Procharged setup would be far better, but at the same time, it's more costly.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
OP, not sure if you saw this or not, but Nitrous Outlet now offers a plug and play wiring harness for your nitrous setup, as well as all the accessories that go with it. I agree with the guys above that a bottle heater, once it's fully heated up the bottle, will do just fine and keep your bottle pressure up. I don't know if certain bottle heaters are better than others in terms of heating the bottle up quicker, but do some research and I'm sure you'll find your answer. I think nitrous is great if you do a lot of drag racing or street racing. If you don't and typically just cruise in the car, I don't see the point of nitrous. For a cruiser, a turbo or Procharged setup would be far better, but at the same time, it's more costly.
Nice I had no idea they had a PnP harness. Sounds like this will all be a good time. I will be running a small 100 wet shot in summer as a last step before definitely getting banned from my track for no cage. Should be fun
Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foxsl
Nice I had no idea they had a PnP harness. Sounds like this will all be a good time. I will be running a small 100 wet shot in summer as a last step before definitely getting banned from my track for no cage. Should be fun
I believe they revealed it at PRI. It looks damn awesome. I was thinking about going the nitrous route, but the one thing that scared me away was wiring it all up. I've wired up a shift light, fuel pressure gauge, and a wideband, but nothing to the extent of a nitrous system. I think this plug and play setup from Nitrous Outlet is a real game changer.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

I just usually watch my gauge and see how long to have my heater on. Never been an issue but I am in Florida.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of guys in here that have a lot more nitrous experience then me so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I hated the bottle heater. Every 2 runs weren't the same if you didn't give it enough time in between, which sucks for the street because you could do a couple runs in a couple minutes if the situation is right.

Also, I'm running a 200+ shot, so the difference in the tune from the hit is way different at the end of a roll run or even a full 1/4 run.

I just recently went to the nano kit and I'm liking it so far. My bottle lasts longer and it's consistent every time I hit it.

Like I said, I'm a novice compared to most of the guys in here, but I'm just posting up my experience. Maybe it's more specific to cooler climates.

I also have a almost brand new nitrous express full heater kit for sale, 125$ if your looking.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dburt86
There's a lot of guys in here that have a lot more nitrous experience then me so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I hated the bottle heater. Every 2 runs weren't the same if you didn't give it enough time in between, which sucks for the street because you could do a couple runs in a couple minutes if the situation is right.

Also, I'm running a 200+ shot, so the difference in the tune from the hit is way different at the end of a roll run or even a full 1/4 run.

I just recently went to the nano kit and I'm liking it so far. My bottle lasts longer and it's consistent every time I hit it.

Like I said, I'm a novice compared to most of the guys in here, but I'm just posting up my experience. Maybe it's more specific to cooler climates.

I also have a almost brand new nitrous express full heater kit for sale, 125$ if your looking.

Those two issues/points right there is why I have not pulled the trigger on a nitrous setup, and will likely wait until I can afford to piece together a Procharger setup.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you not see Fast and Furious?
Old 12-24-2015, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Those two issues/points right there is why I have not pulled the trigger on a nitrous setup, and will likely wait until I can afford to piece together a Procharger setup.
but its so quick to go fast with nitrous, now dont get me wrong I love boost as I have a D1SC system sitting for my mustang, but I wanted simplicity to get my car going and now its running 9's on a 150 shot and still have my 2nd stage to activate. So now I decided to leave it and enjoy it. in your mods it looks like your not afraid to spend the money and Supercharging will set you back for whats all needed. I'm going to go E85 when I'm ready, but thats a different topic lol
Old 12-24-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
but its so quick to go fast with nitrous, now dont get me wrong I love boost as I have a D1SC system sitting for my mustang, but I wanted simplicity to get my car going and now its running 9's on a 150 shot and still have my 2nd stage to activate. So now I decided to leave it and enjoy it. in your mods it looks like your not afraid to spend the money and Supercharging will set you back for whats all needed. I'm going to go E85 when I'm ready, but thats a different topic lol
If I ran at the track a lot or did a lot of grudge/street racing, I'd have no problem giving nitrous a shot, but I mostly cruise around and go to car shows, so having the ability to enjoy boost when I decide to get on it will be nice. And, when I do go to the track or get a few runs in Mexico, I don't have to worry about arming the nitrous, making sure I've got good bottle pressure, making sure the bottle is not empty, etc. Don't get me wrong, if you're on a budget and want to go fast, nitrous is the way to go, but the way I see it is boost is that nitrous bottle that never runs out.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Getting the bottle warm does take a while with a bottle heater. Like several said, keeping it warm is easier. If I am in colder climates, I don't try to keep the bottle at #950 of pressure. I will run #850-#875 of bottle pressure. It is easier to maintain, will have less pressure drop during the run and hits a bit softer which can be an advantage from a traction standpoint. It will flow a little less nitrous at that pressure, but you can jet up a bit to compensate for that.

On the other hand, keeping it cool and the bottle pressures below A#1000 on a hot day can be a challenge. Bags of ice and rags to soak up the melted ice is kind of a mess. I am working on a tidier solution.

Quick Reply: How is street life really like with nitrous?