Sponsored by:

Bennefitsfrom running race gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bennefitsfrom running race gas

Quick brief of setup:

2007 Silverado with 416ci Maggie 10.5 psi(almost maxed blower) with 200 shot dedicated fuel system with VP C16

What gains if any from running race gas in the stock gas tank? Lets say current setup runs 20* and 12.0 in the 1/4 and on 200 shot it runs 11.0 in the 1/4.

Race gas tune has 25* and runs 11.5 if I pull timing to keep 20* it would still run 11.0 on the VP. Would the race gas allow the added timing on the 200 shot? with 25* ad the 200 shot it should run faster then 11.0
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

I would read up on the fuel your using. C16 has a different rate and some cars have slowed down with it. I went to X16 from rec from a few guys here.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately there are very few choices here. Pump gas, VP 109 and VP C16.

Question is if I can't bump timing to make gains what is the benefit of running race gas in the first place. At least as it pertain to nitrous. Without nitrous but with race gas and more timing it definately picks up.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

I run pump gas in the car, and race fuel in my standalone for a wider and safe tune window in my application. 150 range I never had problem even with stock timing, its when I started to hit 200 and above and use a second stage did timing make a difference. Reading my plugs, and playing with timing I found out my car liked 16-18 total and having 116 fuel in my standalone. This was after burning many plugs the ground straps completely off and even the porcelain was partially gone lol. So I decided to have the timing at 16-18 to be safe. Could I have advanced it more? maybe but sometimes the gains are so minimal its hard to measure. Hopefully somebody else will chime in also.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same here pump gas in trucks gas tank and C16 in the nitrous stand alone. We have it setup on a two stage with 100 on pedal and 200 on handheld button but currently we have the relay for the first stage out. Just wondering if also putting race gas in the tank we can add more timing.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 AM
Launching!

I'd add 2 degrees at a time reading flags and making sure your fuel is on point
Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Plugs**
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SRTKLLR
Same here pump gas in trucks gas tank and C16 in the nitrous stand alone. We have it setup on a two stage with 100 on pedal and 200 on handheld button but currently we have the relay for the first stage out. Just wondering if also putting race gas in the tank we can add more timing.
Mine is also the same way, I use a hand held for the 1st stage and foot switch for the second. (sleeper status) Some guys I know have tried the race gas in the tank but had problems with their O2 sensors going bad eventually. Ive been thinking of going E85 one day.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

If you run it off of race gas, you get extra protection from detonation. In turn, you get to run more timing. But there are downsides to it. If it's a full emissions system vehicle, you risk burning up the 02 sensors, damaging the cats, and more.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by natejk
I'd add 2 degrees at a time reading flags and making sure your fuel is on point
That can get expensive quick but a new engine is a lot more. Down here it is about $200 to fill a 10lb bottle.
In the US I pay $35 and only because it went up recently from $30.

Originally Posted by natejk
Plugs**
Currently using B8EFS

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
Mine is also the same way, I use a hand held for the 1st stage and foot switch for the second. (sleeper status) Some guys I know have tried the race gas in the tank but had problems with their O2 sensors going bad eventually. Ive been thinking of going E85 one day.
Well technically they are both on the micro switch but the second stage also has the handheld button. This way you can't activate it unless WOT.
Unfortunately there is no E85 here. My White Silvy in the US is on E85 and I love it. My truck isn't flex fuel either just tuned for E85 only.
Before when I was on pump gas I needed to pull 10* when squeezing a 200 shot or run race gas which was $9 a gallon. Now that I am on E85 I can drive around all day and when needed I can spray no need to pull timing. And it a hair cheaper than 91oct pump gas to boot.

Originally Posted by AJatNitrousOutlet
If you run it off of race gas, you get extra protection from detonation. In turn, you get to run more timing. But there are downsides to it. If it's a full emissions system vehicle, you risk burning up the 02 sensors, damaging the cats, and more.
No emissions regulations here but we did just replace an O2 sensor. No cats as they were removed long ago. Because the truck is run 99% of the time on pump gas this was the first time in years we replaced the sensor. When we spray it uses very little race gas and for only a short while mixed with pump gas. Even when we put race gas in the tank it is done at the track then removed before we leave because it is expensive here. Why waste it driving home or around town.

Are you the one I talk to when I order nitrous parts. If so I was supposed to send you some Texas street racing(lol) videos for you to format for me.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like you talked to Lance- he's good with videos!

Quick Reply: Bennefitsfrom running race gas