Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive and 2 step?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive and 2 step?

I am piecing everything together for my nitrous kit. I pain on spraying a single stage 200 shot. I have a trans brake that will need wired in. I found a simple wire diagram for just a simple nitrous kit with adding a brake.

But I think it's going to be pretty violent and would like to add a progressive controller. Also from what I read it should add a 2 step also. What are your opinions on my set up and also what is a simple controller and simple 2 step to add to my mix.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You definitely need to have a 2 step....

I'm very partial to the lingenfelter NCC progressive. MSD makes a 2 step but I have no experience with it.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Does the 2 step have any other purpose other then to make the launch easier? What do you usually wire into? I guess for my purpose I think I will go to the trans brake.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

it will allow you to launch below the converters stall point.

the MSD 2 step wires into the coils, and to an activation wire, usually tapped into the transbrake switch.

Using the LPE NCC progressive, you can use the transbrake wire to also interupt the progressive. That way once you stage, you engage the transbrake, 2 step activates, you floor the gas pedal... once you release the transbrake button, 2 step disengages, and progressive begins.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Yeah that is exactly what I want. I searched last night on a wire schematic to wire it all just how you explained it. Found alot of people asking the same question. But no answers. I found alot of wire diagrams for the brake and nitrous or nitrous and progressor. But not everything. I will search some more tonight. My buddy just texted me and I am going to buy his msd 2 step from him. So now what are you guys having best luck with on the progressive kit? Simple to use and also simple to wire in.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiring diagrams

We have some wiring diagrams in the LNC 2-step instructions and also some in the NCC progressive nitrous controller instructions.

Our new web site has the instructions on the product page for each product but we also have a combined instructions section here:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/category/P03.html

Originally Posted by SprayedZ
Yeah that is exactly what I want. I searched last night on a wire schematic to wire it all just how you explained it. Found alot of people asking the same question. But no answers. I found alot of wire diagrams for the brake and nitrous or nitrous and progressor. But not everything. I will search some more tonight. My buddy just texted me and I am going to buy his msd 2 step from him. So now what are you guys having best luck with on the progressive kit? Simple to use and also simple to wire in.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Didn't know LPE did a 2 step....

Does LPE have a 2 step, and timing retard box in 1? Or is it 3 boxes? Timing controller, 2 step and progressive?

If LPE makes the product I would recommend them
Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default LPE 2-step and timing retard

Yes, we have a 2-step and we have a version that also does timing retard and 2-step. We don't have a device that is all three (2-step, timing retard + progressive nitrous controller).

Our 2-step with timing retard is our LNC-2000 for LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3, LS7 and other similar GM Gen III & IV V8 engines (except LSA & LS9).

The LNC-2000 has one RPM limiter function and then also has a timing retard function. You can set the timing retard amount and ramp rate on the 2-step itself or you can have an external device like our NCC progressive nitrous controller control the amount of timing retard.

The LNC-2001 is the same device as the LNC-2000 but with coil pack harness connectors for the LSA and LS9 engines (they use different harnesses than the LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7...).

The LNC-2014 is also basically the same device but with individual coil male/female connectors needed for the 2014+ direct injection engines (LT1, L86, L83, LT4) because they don't have coil pack harnesses so you have to connect to each coil.

Here is a link to the instructions for the LNC-2000:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460145297.pdf

Here is a link to the product page on our web site:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/PROD.htm...ode=L460145297

We also have a true 2-step controller that has two rpm settings but it does not perform timing retard. The device is our LNC-003.

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Didn't know LPE did a 2 step....

Does LPE have a 2 step, and timing retard box in 1? Or is it 3 boxes? Timing controller, 2 step and progressive?

If LPE makes the product I would recommend them
Old 02-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Launching!

I think I will end up going with lingenfelter 2 step and ignition retard model. But your guys progressive model is pretty expensive. Has any one ever wired it to switch to be able to run 2 different tunes? Like a on the fly switch. From a na tune to a nitrous tune. Someone on one forumbrella mention something about wiring in a diode and was able to do this.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Timing retard for nitrous

Most people who use the LNC-2000 for timing retard are using it for just that. They have a no nitrous calibration in the ECM/PCM and then they use the LNC-2000 to take out the timing when the nitrous is active. You can take out up to 15 degrees of timing with the LNC-2000.

If you don't have the LPE NCC nitrous controller you can still have progressive timing retard using the built ramp rate feature of the LNC-2000 timing retard to make the timing retard progressive at the same ramp rate as your progressive nitrous controller.

Most nitrous controllers have a timer out or something similar that can be used to activate the LNC-2000 timing retard when the nitrous becomes active. If your nitrous controller doesn't have that or you aren't using a controller then you can just use the same inputs being used to activate the nitrous to activate the timing retard. You may have to use a relay to isolate the LNC from that or to convert the activation signal (ground, voltage etc.).

Originally Posted by SprayedZ
I think I will end up going with lingenfelter 2 step and ignition retard model. But your guys progressive model is pretty expensive. Has any one ever wired it to switch to be able to run 2 different tunes? Like a on the fly switch. From a na tune to a nitrous tune. Someone on one forumbrella mention something about wiring in a diode and was able to do this.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Most people who use the LNC-2000 for timing retard are using it for just that. They have a no nitrous calibration in the ECM/PCM and then they use the LNC-2000 to take out the timing when the nitrous is active. You can take out up to 15 degrees of timing with the LNC-2000.

If you don't have the LPE NCC nitrous controller you can still have progressive timing retard using the built ramp rate feature of the LNC-2000 timing retard to make the timing retard progressive at the same ramp rate as your progressive nitrous controller.

Most nitrous controllers have a timer out or something similar that can be used to activate the LNC-2000 timing retard when the nitrous becomes active. If your nitrous controller doesn't have that or you aren't using a controller then you can just use the same inputs being used to activate the nitrous to activate the timing retard. You may have to use a relay to isolate the LNC from that or to convert the activation signal (ground, voltage etc.).
I have a lnc-2000 that I will be using for the timing retard function and was wondering if it can retard timing on the fly when the nitrous system is activated? Kinda similar to the op's question. Let's say I'm at a red light, my nitrous system and the lnc-2000 is off, and I want to use the system right then and there, can I simply flip the switch with the car running that will activate the nitrous and lnc-2000 for timing retard or do I need to shut the car off, activate the system then start the car back up?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronware76
I have a lnc-2000 that I will be using for the timing retard function and was wondering if it can retard timing on the fly when the nitrous system is activated? Kinda similar to the op's question. Let's say I'm at a red light, my nitrous system and the lnc-2000 is off, and I want to use the system right then and there, can I simply flip the switch with the car running that will activate the nitrous and lnc-2000 for timing retard or do I need to shut the car off, activate the system then start the car back up?
Nope you just hit your arming switch and when you floor it the LNC unit will pull timing as the car sprays the nitrous
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Yes it will work on the fly, as soon as you arm the system it will pull the timing.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Awesome. This will work perfect for how I wanted to set it up. Appreciate the help
Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Even though the LPE NCC Progressive is expensive, its worth every dollar.

Ive had the NOS Launcher and an NLR and the LPE has so many extra features that are worth their weight in gold.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Nope you just hit your arming switch and when you floor it the LNC unit will pull timing as the car sprays the nitrous
Awesome. I was reading through the paperwork that came with the lnc-2000 and the way I read it, it wouldn't change on the fly. I was disappointed by that. I'm glad I misunderstood and it does work on the fly! That makes me feel better about choosing the spray over a turbo. Thank you for the input. I'll back this up obviously with my tuner looking into it on the dyno.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Changes on the fly

What the instructions are referring to in regards to changes only being looked at on power up are specifically to changes to the dial settings on the face of the LNC (for 2-step RPM setting, max timing retard & ramp rate). The LNC only looks at those dial settings on start up. This is done to reduce the chances of noise causing a change to those settings while the vehicle is running.

The input wires (activation, MAP/voltage etc.) are all looked at continuously while the LNC is in operation.

Awesome. I was reading through the paperwork that came with the lnc-2000 and the way I read it, it wouldn't change on the fly. I was disappointed by that. I'm glad I misunderstood and it does work on the fly! That makes me feel better about choosing the spray over a turbo. Thank you for the input. I'll back this up obviously with my tuner looking into it on the dyno.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
What the instructions are referring to in regards to changes only being looked at on power up are specifically to changes to the dial settings on the face of the LNC (for 2-step RPM setting, max timing retard & ramp rate). The LNC only looks at those dial settings on start up. This is done to reduce the chances of noise causing a change to those settings while the vehicle is running.

The input wires (activation, MAP/voltage etc.) are all looked at continuously while the LNC is in operation.
Thank you for the explanation Jason. The down side to nitrous is that it's not constantly there like any type of boost would be. I'm glad I can run an optimal tune N/A then flip a switch at any time and use the spray safely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Progressive and 2 step?