Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to nitrous, have a few questions regarding my set up..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like I was saying about the automatic opener you really don't need one. I would put that last on my list. I never had any issues over many years of use just opening the bottle when taking the car out, then shutting it when I come home
Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the winmax. Gear lockout works off of reaching a user specified max rpm and then a user specified rpm drop to tell the unit that a shift occurred. It doesn't know what gear you're in, it's just looking for a "shift" that you specify once the system is armed. I spray 150 all at once on an SS4000, but don't spray through the shifts. Stock rebuild 4l60e with transgo shift kit.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardtop Brian
I have the winmax. Gear lockout works off of reaching a user specified max rpm and then a user specified rpm drop to tell the unit that a shift occurred. It doesn't know what gear you're in, it's just looking for a "shift" that you specify once the system is armed. I spray 150 all at once on an SS4000, but don't spray through the shifts. Stock rebuild 4l60e with transgo shift kit.
Thanks for explaining the winmax! Very helpful! Does the progressive do the same thing other than you have the ramping option as well? I could see the ramping being nice at the track potentially to avoid blowing tires off. So you spray the 150 in 2nd? Glad to see the ss4000 and trans are holding up since that's how I'll be running as well. I'd launch out of 1st, but my 10 bolt would be toast lol. I've heard it's better to have it shut off a few hundred rpms before each shift and reactivate after the shift so I plan to do the same. You run an LNC2000 as well?

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 01-07-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Like I was saying about the automatic opener you really don't need one. I would put that last on my list. I never had any issues over many years of use just opening the bottle when taking the car out, then shutting it when I come home
I agree.. I would like one for convenience though .. if I find one used I'll prob get it, if not I'll go without. You have a gauge mounted in your car right? Is it digital or analog? I've seen the digital kits for $110+ and NX has a remote mount kit for $300+.. I was thinking it would be a simple $30 gauge with a line running from gauge to the tank . Didn't think it would be so costly to have one in the front of the car lol.. maybe with the adjustable bottle pressure sensor on the heater it isnt necessary to have eyes on it?

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 01-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
I agree.. I would like one though for convenience.. if I find one used I'll prob get it, if not I'll go without. You have a gauge mounted in your car right? Is it digital or analog? I've seen the digital kits for $110+ and NX has a remote mount kit for $300+.. I was thinking it would be a simple $30 gauge with a line running from gauge to the tank . Didn't think it would be so costly to have one in the front of the car lol.. maybe with the adjustable bottle pressure sensor on the heater it isnt necessary to have eyes on it?
Mine is just a mechanical gauge and yes it's mounted in the a-pillar. Yeah the cost of some of this stuff is a bit crazy and simply not necessary when spraying smaller shots. My bottle heater is pressure regulated, but to be honest I like being able to read the pressure regardless. Just peace of mind. You could even use that cubby hole for a gauge as well, since you already have the 3 pod pillar now. Did you get that kit yet?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

HCI2000SS- Sounds like you are of the school, "Better to know, than not to know". I agree with it! Beats being paranoid, because "Paranoia WILL destroy ya!" lol
Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will have to look around and see.. worst case glowshift sells a digital gauge for $110 with everything id need, but maybe I can find a cheaper option. I'd like to be able to see it as well just so I know everything is good. I got the kit Friday! Everything looks good just no bottle clamps, activation, or WOT switch. Basic plate kit, solenoids, 10 lb bottle, all of the jets, and lines. It's an NX bottle which is kind of weird, but they all have the same purpose so not overly concerned. According to the schematics I may need to purchase a $20 Relay and harness as well.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
HCI2000SS- Sounds like you are of the school, "Better to know, than not to know". I agree with it! Beats being paranoid, because "Paranoia WILL destroy ya!" lol
You are exactly right lol. Especially when dealing with a power adder like nitrous.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will have to look around and see.. worst case glowshift sells a digital gauge for $110 with everything id need, but maybe I can find a cheaper option. I'd like to be able to see it as well just so I know everything is good. I got the kit Friday! Everything looks good just no bottle clamps, activation, or WOT switch. Basic plate kit, solenoids, 10 lb bottle, all of the jets, and lines. It's an NX bottle which is kind of weird, but they all have the same purpose so not overly concerned. According to the schematics I may need to purchase a $20 Relay and harness as well.
A NX bottle but the rest is Nitrous Outlet? I'd be curious why that is, but like you said it shouldn't matter. Also most kits come with a WOT switch so that's a bit odd, but no biggy since it's not expensive
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i thought it was weird.. I should have asked, but never thought it would be different lol. Yea the brand new kit would have come with WOT and activation, but I may use a nos mini progressive of some sort of window switch regardless which will cover the WOT and my switch panel will cover the activation. The heaters come with clamps as well so I will end up with everything I need at some point.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep I hear ya. Although not necessary it would be kind of nice to have these options all tied into one switch panel. Nice thing about nitrous is you can just sort of piece it together after all the basic important stuff
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the only issue I'd have not running a window switch is spraying through the shifts which I don't want to do to make sure my trans can handle it.. as a 6 speed does it stay activated during your shifts?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea the only issue I'd have not running a window switch is spraying through the shifts which I don't want to do to make sure my trans can handle it.. as a 6 speed does it stay activated during your shifts?
Yeah I wouldn't wanna spray through the shifts either. For me no it doesn't stay activated since I am letting up on the gas when shifting. No powershfting for me lol. So you gonna mount that kit up when it gets a bit warmer out?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes sense.. I may not get it hooked up this year. Might be next winters project.. I'm just going to piece everything together for now when there are sales or good used parts. I'm trying to keep the projects light this year so I can get it out sooner and enjoy it since I only get to drive it on weekends now.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep I get that. I only put on 900 miles this last season. I need to start enjoying it more, or consider another hobby lol
Old 01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A good progressive is well worth the money. It comes with all safety features you want in one device. Since I have hptuners I'm a fan of the iat tricker or traction control method for pulling timing. I believe his name is 5.7stroker, check out his thread for install and some good info. Sounds like you already shop the classifieds pretty good so by the time your ready for install you should be able to find some good deals on what you need yet.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RollinSScamaro I am selling a used NX Maximizer 4 progressive controller for $300 shipped if you are interested. It's a really great controller. Can ramp in nitrous by time, gear, throttle position, or speed and has a built in window switch. Pm me if you want it.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
RollinSScamaro I am selling a used NX Maximizer 4 progressive controller for $300 shipped if you are interested. It's a really great controller. Can ramp in nitrous by time, gear, throttle position, or speed and has a built in window switch. Pm me if you want it.
That Maximizer 4 is really cool. I almost bought one at one point
Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for the replies. On yanks website they claim the SS series is good for nitrous application, but I've heard of some saying 150 shots were blowing through theirs.. the most I'll honestly ever run would be 150 and will probably start at 100..

Are there any advantages of using the plate kit? They do look nice and seem to make it a clean install under the hood.. I know there are a lot of accessories with nitrous that add up quick.. seems like you could drop 1500-1800 easily with a 92 plate kit, heater, remote opener, gauge, switches, lingenfelter modules, etc. What have you guys seen for total cost?

Another question I meant to ask was regarding piston gap.. will stock gap be okay for occasional 150 and below shots or should I have the machine shop gap them?

See post number 6 here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ous-world.html

and post #57 here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-l...our-car-3.html

Also check out this new product: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...sors-5166.html

Originally Posted by tug686spd
A good progressive is well worth the money. It comes with all safety features you want in one device. Since I have hptuners I'm a fan of the iat tricker or traction control method for pulling timing. I believe his name is 5.7stroker, check out his thread for install and some good info. Sounds like you already shop the classifieds pretty good so by the time your ready for install you should be able to find some good deals on what you need yet.
Here's the links for my install and the wiring diagram to pull timing using HP tuners.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...l#post19366061

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-see-here.html

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 01-12-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that's a ton of great info all tied together. I love the part number references! I've been trying to make sense of a few accessories and how to tie them all in and I think this will help. I appreciate you taking the time to piece multiple threads together into 1 post. I'm pretty pumped to see what n20 does for my car.

So far I've purchased these parts:
92mm plate kit with 10lb bottle
Purge kit
Ash tray switch panel
Used nitrous outlet window switch w/ gear lock out

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 01-12-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: New to nitrous, have a few questions regarding my set up..