Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100-150 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Okay I'm leaning towards the dedicated fuel system for the NOS. The trap door will make fuel pump changes a breeze now and as for the other pump in the tank well I guess it's my backup...
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Not to mention jetting, fueling, tuning, afr, plug reading ect. If any of it were easy everyone would be running 15lbs of boost or a 300 shot on stock bottom ends (which some have) instead of the usual 8 psi or 100 shot.

Nitrous absolutely takes skill & knowledge and the bigger the shot the more skill and knowledge is needed especially to have a accurate and consistent setup.
Exactly! All types of forced induction have their pros and cons, but for me nitrous was the way to go. I go through maybe 2-3 bottles a season. I only use it when needed on the street or for a pass or two at the track. Figure it will take like 20 years at this rate of filling the bottle to equal the price of a blower lol
Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
I do agree, boost CAN be done for less than $10k but not often... most kits are pretty bolt in at this point but still some fab work typically needed. Things like a k-member are commonly needed, move battery to back, ABS delete all that little stuff adds up quick. If you're going to do it, do it right...which from listening to your posts you probably do. So a proper fuel system with lines, pump, regulator, rails, injectors...you're at almost $1500 if not more. Plus $6500 +/- a little for the turbo, hot/cold side, intercooler etc.. and that's just a basic huron speed kit... nothing crazy.. It just adds up quickly and it all basically needs to be done at once..

Whereas a nitrous setup can run ya maybe $2000 +/- few hundred tops for absolutely everything you'd need to spray the ***** off your car...for the average person though, yes bottle fills on a 10lber can range from $40-80... but nitrous is around $2.35-3 per pound depending on supplier. Can be done very cheap if you get a filling station, would pay for itself over a season or two and you can make yourself some cash with it lol.

I'm just commenting to the OP who had some nitrous questions, I've never built a turbo car... thinking about doing so in the future...but I've done a roots blower and a procharger on two different cars in the past... I've always loved nitrous it works, its "easier and cheaper" than a boosted car...and I prefer to stick with what I know for now. That's all it is to me...cheap easy power that I'm pretty knowledgeable with.
I do agree the price of entry is cheaper with n2O, but some of the above is not required. I've done a turbo and blower and never swapped K members or relocated ABS or a battery. Fuel lines and a boost referenced FPR aren't really necessary unless you're going for over 700whp. Plenty make 600whp with a pump and injectors, and maybe a hot wire hit. I definitely agree about stuff adding up....that seems to be the case with anything. I'm building an NA motor now and its snowballing lol.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I do agree the price of entry is cheaper with n2O, but some of the above is not required. I've done a turbo and blower and never swapped K members or relocated ABS or a battery. Fuel lines and a boost referenced FPR aren't really necessary unless you're going for over 700whp. Plenty make 600whp with a pump and injectors, and maybe a hot wire hit. I definitely agree about stuff adding up....that seems to be the case with anything. I'm building an NA motor now and its snowballing lol.
it all snow ***** in this hobby. A simple trip for wax at Napa turns into a $200 endeavor for me most times. Lol
Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

it all snow ***** in this hobby. A simple trip for wax at Napa turns into a $200 endeavor for me most times. Lol
You too, huh? Join the not-too-exclusive club! lol!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
He's copy and paste smart but has almost no experience with these engines. Yet he gives out advice like he had a hand in designing them himself. Don't you know that turbo's are the only power adder worth using, Blower/superchargers are a waste of time and inefficient and a just a bad idea in general.
I dont copy and paste ****

if I do copy anything its quoted or wraped in "" like it should be

You accuse me constantly of copy and paste which only proves how wrong you are. If you can be wrong once, you can always be wrong.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Nitrous is different because no skill required. You wana add a turbo to your car by yourself in the backyard you need some skill. A supercharger is kind of also skill-less but at least you have to actually turn a wrench or two.
Wow....no words....I honestly feel embarrassed and sorry for you....
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by '68LT1camaro
Wow....no words....I honestly feel embarrassed and sorry for you....
People that think nitrous alone is worth celebrating over are the same type that use steroids to grow muscle they didn't earn.

Its easy to inject money and get big.

The 'correct' way to celebrate nitrous use is when elegantly paired with a turbocharger.
You can feel sorry for me all you want but that is how N2O is best served.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
The engine rings are opened up for 200+ shot. My tuner suggested that I should run race fuel with an independent fuel system when I decide to run NOS........ I'm still undecided on a plate or direct port system and I'm really not sure what all I'd need to get everything setup on the car. Any suggestions?
Start small and grow your system as you learn. I can't recommend jumping right in with a 200+ shot with no nitrous experience. Nitrous gets exponentially harder to tune as the hit increases. At the 200+ range, one degree too much timing and you'll be rebuilding what was a perfectly good motor when you woke up that morning. I've done turbos, blowers, and nitrous and I can promise you that a big nitrous shot is by far the hardest to tune.

Anytime you see a nitrous pro mod pop a motor, keep in mind that those guys are some straight nitrous bad asses and they still cooked their $hit. The spray is no joke.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

The 'correct' way to celebrate nitrous use is when elegantly paired with a turbocharger.
You can feel sorry for me all you want but that is how N2O is best served.
In YOUR (and yours alone, pretty much) opinion.
And don't fret. NOBODY feels sorry for you. You are truly a legend in your own mind....
Old 03-10-2018, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Been there, done that, multiple times, the first time back in the 90's, kiddo.

I didn't start doing this last week. I've farted more air then you've turbo'd into an engine.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I do agree, boost CAN be done for less than $10k but not often... most kits are pretty bolt in at this point but still some fab work typically needed. Things like a k-member are commonly needed, move battery to back, ABS delete all that little stuff adds up quick. If you're going to do it, do it right...which from listening to your posts you probably do. So a proper fuel system with lines, pump, regulator, rails, injectors...you're at almost $1500 if not more. Plus $6500 +/- a little for the turbo, hot/cold side, intercooler etc.. and that's just a basic huron speed kit... nothing crazy.. It just adds up quickly and it all basically needs to be done at once..

Whereas a nitrous setup can run ya maybe $2000 +/- few hundred tops for absolutely everything you'd need to spray the ***** off your car...for the average person though, yes bottle fills on a 10lber can range from $40-80... but nitrous is around $2.35-3 per pound depending on supplier. Can be done very cheap if you get a filling station, would pay for itself over a season or two and you can make yourself some cash with it lol.

I'm just commenting to the OP who had some nitrous questions, I've never built a turbo car... thinking about doing so in the future...but I've done a roots blower and a procharger on two different cars in the past... I've always loved nitrous it works, its "easier and cheaper" than a boosted car...and I prefer to stick with what I know for now. That's all it is to me...cheap easy power that I'm pretty knowledgeable with.
I want EVERYTHING I do to the car to be done right the first time thats for sure. My main thing like I've said, I feel like nitrous is the best bang for your buck. It would all be installed correctly and id be safe with it.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Either way I go, I want it done right.
I think thats why I was suggested by builders to build the bottom end but I also see what you're saying in your posts as well.
I do not believe they told me it just to get money because really they want be making much off me and he's a good friend. Never has lied to me before.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Exactly! All types of forced induction have their pros and cons, but for me nitrous was the way to go. I go through maybe 2-3 bottles a season. I only use it when needed on the street or for a pass or two at the track. Figure it will take like 20 years at this rate of filling the bottle to equal the price of a blower lol
This is exactly why I was thinking nitrous lol
I'm ballin on a budget for real
Old 03-11-2018, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Do a cheap single nozzle kit. Get a bottle warmer with a pressure switch and a remote bottle opener. You can pull fuel right off the 4an fitting on the fuel rail after you remove the schrader valve. You don't absolutely have to have a purge solenoid but it's nice to have for multiple reasons. There are multiple ways to pull timing with our cars. The LNC-2000 is a very popular, reliable option. Take your pick.

I run a 300 shot with a 100% stock bottom end. Don't worry about building the rotating assembly. The trick is tuning, progressively ramping it in, and expensive race fuel.

*EDIT* to clarify......
I run C23 for my set up. You won't need to with a 100-150 shot. Pump 93 will be fine for your setup which is why I recommended pulling fuel right off the rail with the factory 4an male fitting.

Last edited by '68LT1camaro; 03-12-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Put the bottle on and just have fun man.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by '68LT1camaro
Start small and grow your system as you learn. I can't recommend jumping right in with a 200+ shot with no nitrous experience. Nitrous gets exponentially harder to tune as the hit increases. At the 200+ range, one degree too much timing and you'll be rebuilding what was a perfectly good motor when you woke up that morning. I've done turbos, blowers, and nitrous and I can promise you that a big nitrous shot is by far the hardest to tune.

Anytime you see a nitrous pro mod pop a motor, keep in mind that those guys are some straight nitrous bad asses and they still cooked their $hit. The spray is no joke.
Love the thought of instant hp at the flick of a switch but NOS can destroy an engine in short order if it's not set up properly. I don't live too far from a NOS guru who told me when I was ready to set it up for NOS to come see him. He at one time held the fastest 1/8 mile pass in a 4th gen. I have alot to learn so for now it will stay NA for awhile. I just need time in the seat to get better at launching the car and keeping the rubber stuck to the track.

Got a longtime friend who just finished up his Chevelle with a BBC built for a supercharger. He's wants to run me NA and swears he's going to smoke my ***.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Love the thought of instant hp at the flick of a switch but NOS can destroy an engine in short order if it's not set up properly. I don't live too far from a NOS guru who told me when I was ready to set it up for NOS to come see him. He at one time held the fastest 1/8 mile pass in a 4th gen. I have alot to learn so for now it will stay NA for awhile. I just need time in the seat to get better at launching the car and keeping the rubber stuck to the track.

Got a longtime friend who just finished up his Chevelle with a BBC built for a supercharger. He's wants to run me NA and swears he's going to smoke my ***.
What part of TX do you live?
I plan on staying NA as well until I'm for sure what I wanna do.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
What part of TX do you live?
I plan on staying NA as well until I'm for sure what I wanna do.
Houston, twin turbo is just to expensive for my wallet and I figured if i'm ever able too go tt's one day I could add that later on so I decided I'd build my engine for a 200+ shot of NOS and roll NA for awhile and see how long my build holds up.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Teching In

A very good question here lol. Had a local from near me push 150shot on what was claimed as a stock LS1. Iam not entirely sure if his engine was stock but this was also coming from a guy who claimed his entire camaro was stock lol and would hide the bottle. he also would never pop the hood. but i know him and he said he has ran 150 shot before but would change out the jets or nozzles and run only 100shot at times. depended on what he was racing against.