Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100-150 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100-150 shot?

Alright guys heres the break down.. Ive got a 2000 TA h/c/I and at first I was wanting to go turbo or pro charger..

After some research I started thinking about spraying about 100-150 shot.
I talked to my engine builder who also happens to be my best friend. He basically gave me every reason to NOT spray. Said that he has seen people run lean and KABOOM to their engines. He basically told me he would not install it. Id have to go to someone else because he doesn't "approve". He's the only one who has touched the car.. so for some reason I feel bad if I were to take it anywhere else. I have been promoting his business from day one, he's kinda like my sponsor in a way. My tuner told me that my car was VERY well built and whoever did it, did an excellent clean job. But it is MY car. He gives me awesome discounts.. sometimes doesn't even charge me for very extensive labor in exchange to talk about his work/shop.

I look at it like this.. you can blow up a engine with pro charger, or turbo. But he's claiming nitrous is harder on the engine than both of those. Is this true? and do you guys have anything against spraying? Id just like to get some opinions/advice before just jumping into something like this.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Just a rookies opinion here but if he disapproves with spray then he should disprove of boost. Boost has taken out just as many motors as spray.

Nitrous is in my future and I'm not even remotely worried about it. Just have it setup up correct. Maybe a stand alone fuel cell with high octane
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Just a rookies opinion here but if he disapproves with spray then he should disprove of boost. Boost has taken out just as many motors as spray.

Nitrous is in my future and I'm not even remotely worried about it. Just have it setup up correct. Maybe a stand alone fuel cell with high octane
That's kind of how I thought to.

Thing is, this really isn't a track car. MAYBE track time a few times a year Something to have fun in and if someone wants to race then ill be prepared.
I found it a bit silly to spend $10k to boost it when I won't be using the power all the time.
Would you suggest 93 octane or e85?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
Would you suggest 93 octane or e85?
I would run 93 in my tank and run c16 (117 octane)
or vp No2 (120 octane) in a one gallon stand alone fuel cell
Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Nitrous systems have come a long way. Get one that is fully thought out, install it right, and you should be good.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You will be fine on a 100-150 shot with the right tune, fuel, etc...
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would only use it when money is involved, or to make some kinda point. hide that **** in a fuel hose, hide everything; run a progressive computer = nobody can tell you are spraying. As little as a 50 shot can give 100-150 horsepower on the right boost setup.

It can be very safe, as safe as any other system, if you spend the time and money to do it right. But I wouldn't risk it just for "fun".
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Go for it man. As long as timing, AF, plugs, etc are in check you will be fine. I'd talk your buddy into it too he may be able to add nitrous install services to his business
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Go for it man. As long as timing, AF, plugs, etc are in check you will be fine. I'd talk your buddy into it too he may be able to add nitrous install services to his business
I think that if the opportunity came, he would do it. I think he's just afraid honestly that ill blow it up and expect him to fix it and him give me the discounts he's been giving me. I can understand where he is coming from but at the sometime he trashed spraying and I didn't really like that.

I've heard horror stories about boosting, spraying, you name it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are horror stories about ANYTHING you do to a car. If the dealerships had their way aftermarket ANYTHING would not be happening. What you want to do is safe as long as you do things right and pay attention to details
Old 03-08-2018, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

100 shot is nothing....I too think its crazy to spend $10k on turbo/procharger, a fuel system and supporting mods, plus the labor intensive work to install all that. If you're looking to run good times at the track couple times a year and you're satisfied with smoking the tires on motor on the street as-is...then spray that bitch.

LNC-2000 to control timing, NX Maximizer or NOS Mini to control the shot, wet plate kit... your stock fuel system should be enough to support 100 shot no problem, however I'd upgrade to racetronix 255 with hotwire kit to keep pressure/volume up when spraying. Get a wideband AFR and keep an eye on things. A dual stage kit with 500 hp worth of nitrous is def more harsh on a motor than 10psi of boost... I don't disagree with your builder there. But properly tuned on a 100-150 shot a stock short block will take it alllll day long. 93+ octane is a must. NGK 7's for plugs on 100+ hp of nitrous is typically most common. 6's probably ok for 100 or less. Have to try it out and read them to be sure. Good luck.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 03-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

yeah if it was easy to get 7psi on every engine, any engine, it would be worth it.

but it aint easy to just "add boost"

nitrous on the other hand...
its my favorite thing to use, its the easiest thing to use, but I never use it without a good, no great reason.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
........ but I never use it without a good, no great reason.
Like when the car next to you is about to have yours for lunch???
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Banned

I mean, can you think of a better excuse not to pull all the stops? to whip the pin from the gate? To drizzle nitrometh from ur mouth into a blower?

God, isn't that what we are doing here?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
God, isn't that what we are doing here?
Uhh... no
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like nitrous from the standpoint that if you don't use it often it is by far the absolute best bang for the buck you can get. What I do is I open the bottle when I take the car out so if I run into that "just in case scenario" and then close it when I get home. 9 times out 10 I never use it because it was not needed. But that one time it is needed it sure is damn nice to have lol
Old 03-09-2018, 12:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I like nitrous from the standpoint that if you don't use it often it is by far the absolute best bang for the buck you can get. What I do is I open the bottle when I take the car out so if I run into that "just in case scenario" and then close it when I get home. 9 times out 10 I never use it because it was not needed. But that one time it is needed it sure is damn nice to have lol
remote opener bro. Best thing in the world for a street car in that scenario. Mine worked like a charm. I’m actually pulling mine off though. Too much hassle for me now. I have 6 bottles and basically change them out after every pass or 2 passes tops. I ended up zip tying it out of the way for the rest of last season.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allblackedout5

remote opener bro. Best thing in the world for a street car in that scenario. Mine worked like a charm. I’m actually pulling mine off though. Too much hassle for me now. I have 6 bottles and basically change them out after every pass or 2 passes tops. I ended up zip tying it out of the way for the rest of last season.
Yeah I still might get a remote opener, but to be honest it doesn't really bother me to just open the bottle when taking the car out then just closing it when I come home. I've been doing that for years. About how many bottles do you go through in a season?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yeah I still might get a remote opener, but to be honest it doesn't really bother me to just open the bottle when taking the car out then just closing it when I come home. I've been doing that for years. About how many bottles do you go through in a season?
I've had it on my c5z06 and my c6 vettes... the remote opener on those was key....they were the cars I had to take out and drive around all day and if I was next to someone or came up on someone I'd hit the switch bottle opens up and I'm good to go...

The one I have on my camaro came with my nitrous kit and the switch panel was already nicely done with weather pack connectors and such so I just put it in...but this car has become something that I may take out to a buddy's house or for a 20-30 min cruise and bring home...then on weekends or track test'n'tune nights I just trailer it to the meet spot or the track..roll it off, run the ***** off of it, and put it back on trailer...and I hardly ever make a pass on motor, I mean whats the point?? lol.... So the remote opener in this thing has become more of a nuisance than anything else on this setup.

Last season not many, I wasn't up and running on the spray until late September and we only raced into late October. Two of my good friends have filling stations at home, so I plan to run quite a few bottles through this bitch this year lol.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
I've had it on my c5z06 and my c6 vettes... the remote opener on those was key....they were the cars I had to take out and drive around all day and if I was next to someone or came up on someone I'd hit the switch bottle opens up and I'm good to go...

The one I have on my camaro came with my nitrous kit and the switch panel was already nicely done with weather pack connectors and such so I just put it in...but this car has become something that I may take out to a buddy's house or for a 20-30 min cruise and bring home...then on weekends or track test'n'tune nights I just trailer it to the meet spot or the track..roll it off, run the ***** off of it, and put it back on trailer...and I hardly ever make a pass on motor, I mean whats the point?? lol.... So the remote opener in this thing has become more of a nuisance than anything else on this setup.

Last season not many, I wasn't up and running on the spray until late September and we only raced into late October. Two of my good friends have filling stations at home, so I plan to run quite a few bottles through this bitch this year lol.
Sounds like your car and track season in New York is about the same as it is here in Michigan. I hate winter lol. I put maybe 2k a year on the Camaro. I take it to car shows, cruises, and maybe the track once a year. Since everything I do is fairly local, i just crack the bottle open before leaving, then close it when home. Very rarely if ever am I out for more than 5-6 hours at best, so I'm not worried leaving the bottle open. If I took the car out for longer distances and/or time, I'd probably want a remote opener for sure then. I still may get one though...who knows lol