Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing tuner issues??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing tuner issues??

ok...before the timing tuner,i was spraying decent...good hard spray thru 2nd,then 3rd would detonate alil bit as well as 4th...but now w/ TT,its worse....im using +3* base timing,+3* wot...then i tried -9*RTD.while spraying..and the n2o hit hard for a second,then just died out.i have a brand newly filled bottle,i set window to on@3000,then off@5900rpm.then i tried -6*RTD...didnt help...then i tried 0*RTD...STILL didnt help so if any of u fellas cant help...then im prolly gonna try 2 get my local speed shop to hopefully dyno-tune,the timing tuner.sucks huh? i dont know if its getting too much retard or what.b4 it was on superchips when it was detonating b4.....i dnt know im at a loss. PLEASE HELP.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Launching!

any suggestions any1?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

What size shot are you running? What is the timing you normally see in the computer..or is it a stock program?

I dont think I would have added +3 base and *3 WOT. Thats 6 degrees total and likely too much timing regardless even on motor.

I would pull the bottle and weigh it to be sure its full.

Anyways...put the TT bypass plug on. Reduce the size of the shot so you dont get detonation when spraying on your regular tune. Pull the plugs and check them.
Go to a dyno with wideband. Start on the small safe shot with no TT. If it runs normal...plug the TT back in and make a run with settings at 0. If still ok...bump up the shot to where you were getting that detonation before...and ONLY use the retard function to pull some timing ( do not add base or WOT timing). Use 2 degrees for every 50 HP to start with. Get that dialed in. BTW you really should be scanning the car for knock.

When thats done...if you want to add some timing for NA tune. Make some runs NA and add timing to the base and WOT ***** until you get what you want. If you ended up adding say 1 degree base and 2 degrees WOT...dont forget to take out 3 more degrees from the Retard dial above what you had dialed in before.

Its been a while since I used the TT...but im sure you get the idea.

It may not have anything to do with the TT. It may be a noid that took a dump or you bottle that leaked everything. So eliminate each possibility one by one.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Launching!

150-shot,stock tune....yeah i was thinking today i was gonna try setting the dials back to 0.u think 6* ic too much?i dont have a scan tool but ill try what u said appreciate the help.nx system is brand new...i think ur right its the timing.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Well...If I am remembering right...the six dgrees you added on motor shouldnt have been a problem on nitrous since you took out 9 on the RTD dial. But I belive the 6 degrees is too much for motor alone. Thats why I said that.

The reason I layed it out that way was just to check things at each point. If there is a problem it should become apparant at some point. If you havent been to a dyno with a wide band you really should. If its possible for you to do everything I stated...including ATAP you should try to as well. Trust me...when your done...you will have a good handle on exactly what is going on.

I know I never make ANY major changes without checking them on a dyno with wideband and scan tool. Adding a timing controller I would think is a major change that needs checking.

On a dyno with wideband and scantool to check for knock will give invaluable info that is accurate. Just watching the HP figures and AF ratios alone will tell you alot.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

You live in California, you only have 91 octane premium & I would guess hot tempratures. It's a bad time for us hot climate folks, we mod now and do all our good running all winter and fall. I wouldn't be advancing my timing that much period. You could pull as much as 2 degrees of timing per 50 hp of nitrous. I would set all my base timings back to 0 or at the most 3k up top. Leave the bottom number @ 0. But I would really run 0 extra timing & try pulling 5 to 6 degrees per 50 hp. See if that works. You gotta experiment. This box is version 1.1 it's just getting popular at all, pretty soon we'll have all the info and more that we want on this box.

If you are going to be upping your base timing numbers, I would do it on a very hot day while logging with ATAP, it sure seems like you are running a lot of extra base timing, without scanning it first & while doing. I would also suggest a Wideband, too.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Launching!

thanks guys i appreciate all the help....1st- i didnt know how much timing to pull at first.....i was reading the charts wrong...i thought it wass laid out diff.... oh well. cool i am gonna get it dynoed and adjust the jets and tune the TT that way...thats what i was thinking when my motor was detonating a lot..even n/a...so i knew something was wrong.....P.S. KR sucks.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Launching!

k guys i changed to the 75 jets...wahoooooo!!....cool lil burst...bypassed the tt.so now im gonna try doing no timing advance,and 1 or 2 degrees of rtd.then jump up in jets.thanks again.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good man...have fun!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Launching!

thanks again for the help guys.next week,im gonna get it on the dyno and tune the tt that way.75 is running decent tho.but it still kinda seems like its coming on then just goes off.i dnt know????im gonna w8 4 dyno,b4 i do any more sprayin'.1nce again thnx for the help.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Launching!

thanks yall