Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous laws

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also contact Nitrous Oxide Systems. I'm pretty sure they off some 50 state legal kits, so they could tell you what is needed for a system to be "legal".
Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I heard there is a law pending in New York City to ban nitrous.. Guess the law makers feel that is more important to hassle drivers than fight real crime.

Some people will do anything for a vote or two!

Old 10-25-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pa resident too, wanted to know if it legal, let me know about your pending case, I shouldn't have to much to worry about, bottle and stuff hidden, except for the 2 1/6 No2 pressure guage next to the cig lighter.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
You can also contact Nitrous Oxide Systems. I'm pretty sure they off some 50 state legal kits, so they could tell you what is needed for a system to be "legal".
Don't think there is such a thing as a 50 state legal nitrous kit. There is no way CARB would approve that, it screws with emissions. I was told by a cop I know that if it modifies anything having to do with your emissions system (plumbing an intake) it is illegal in CA.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
Don't think there is such a thing as a 50 state legal nitrous kit. There is no way CARB would approve that, it screws with emissions. I was told by a cop I know that if it modifies anything having to do with your emissions system (plumbing an intake) it is illegal in CA.
Everything's illegal in California. Breathing funny gets you a ticket there. Which doesn't make sense to me because they have alot of "hot rod" shops.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by King02SS
Everything's illegal in California. Breathing funny gets you a ticket there. Which doesn't make sense to me because they have alot of "hot rod" shops.
Well that makes sence because if you tell someone no, they are just going to want to do it more.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt this be carb approved? towards the bottom?
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...NOSNS/GM1.html
Old 11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by cyipher
wouldnt this be carb approved? towards the bottom?
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...NOSNS/GM1.html
I do stand corrected. I noticed this in the catalog I got from SEMA as well earlier today. Unfortunately, it's not for GEN III engines.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob98Z
Don't know where you are from, but here in GA:

40-8-10.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person on a public road
to drive a passenger car, excluding a motor home, which
supplies the motor vehicle's combustion engine with
nitrous oxide unless the system supplying nitrous oxide is
made inoperative by disconnecting the line feeding nitrous
oxide to the engine or by removing the container or
containers of nitrous oxide from the vehicle.

(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code
section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."
I don't know how recent your info is or how well SEMA keeps up with the current laws...but this is what i found on there site pertaining to this...maybe Georgia isn't totally commie yet.

Georgia Nitrous Oxide Ban Legislation Dies - 2000

Georgia legislation (H.B. 1183) that sought to ban the street use of nitrous oxide systems in vehicles operated on public roads passed in the House but, due to time constraints, did not make it through the Senate before the legislature adjourned.

H.B. 1193, as originally written, sought to unfairly prohibit all public road use of passenger cars or pickup trucks equipped with nitrous oxide delivery systems. In other words, any car with a nitrous set-up would have been in violation of the law, regardless of whether the system was operable or not. In response to complaints from hobbyists and the affected nitrous oxide producing industry, SEMA succeeded in modifying the bill. As amended, the mere presence of nitrous systems in vehicles on public roadways would not have constituted a violation.

The SEMA Action Network is particularly grateful for the work of State Representative Alan Powell. "Representative Powell, a street rodder in his youth and a powerful member of the Motor Vehicle Committee, was resolute in his commitment to protecting manufacturers and hobbyists from a blanket ban and ensuring the continuation of legitimate uses of nitrous systems," commented SEMA Director of State Relations Steve McDonald.

We would also like to mention the efforts of The Georgia hobbyist community for their interest in this bill. With the involvement of SEMA Action Network contact clubs like the North Georgia Mopar Club, we are all hopeful that ill-considered legislation like H.B. 1193 will not be reintroduced in the next legislative session.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Where did you hear that load of ****. In MD you can carry nitrous all day long in your vehicle if it is under 50lbs. Over 50lbs you have to have a placard. It is NOT illegal to transport nitrous and you dont need a sticker or placard unless it is over 50lbs. It is illegal to USE nitrous in MD so they may get you if it is hooked up because that shows intent.

It has nothing to do with being an illegal power adder either. Power adders are not illegal. It is illegal when you use something that states it is legal for offroad use only, could be a bumper higher than 18" nothing to do with poweradders.
I have to agree with you. I've been to the tracks here regularly, capital, cecil and never seen such information. I'm just curious where he's talking about?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AZ28DRIVER1
You are saddly mistaken!!! Whomever you go your information from is full of **** and needs to try reading a law book before spreading misinformation. As stated this is a 5 point ticket that you can be nailed for. This came directly from the Maryland Annotated Code 2004 edition. Please kindly send $200 to my pay pal account for your legal consultation. Here is an exact copy of that law.

§ 22-404.5. Power booster systems prohibited; exceptions.

(a) Definitions.- In this section, "power booster system" means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power.

(b) Use prohibited.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system.

(c) Exceptions.- A person may operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster if:

(1) The vehicle is enroute to or from a track where the vehicle is used for racing and the power booster system is inoperative; or

(2) The container of nitrous oxide has been removed from the vehicle.

(d) Identification decal.- Every motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system shall be identified with a decal that:

(1) Is a diamond shaped design consisting of the words "Compressed Gas D.O.T. No. 1070" in silver scotchlite letters 1 inch high on a black background with a silver scotchlite border;

(2) Is issued by the Office of the Fire Marshal or from a nitrous oxide industry source; and

(3) Is attached to the left front and right rear bumper of the vehicle.

(e) Regulations authorized.- The Office of the Fire Marshal may adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.

(f) Fee for decal.- The Office of the Fire Marshal or nitrous oxide industry source that issues the vehicle identification decal may charge a fee for the issuance of a vehicle identification decal not to exceed the reasonable cost of preparation and distribution.

[1989, ch. 299, § 2.]
Reguarless of the rules in Maryland, I've yet to see a cop sit at the track and give out tickets for using nitrous. I go 2-3 times per month and I think that's fairly regular. Not once. I go to mainly to capital and cecil.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
Nothing on the books for NC. Ive had 2 Charlotte/Mecklenburg Co. cops and 1 trooper look into it for me. By the way, all those cops have low-13's or faster cars (down to a high-10 sec TA). Kinda funny, riding with an off duty cop doing 90 in a 35 and knowing if you get pulled you will get off.

man you're lucky out here in Jacksonville/onslow you're not suppose to have it hooked up or in the car. but mine is hidden well. plus with a new hidden setup soon to come. they can have good luck finding it. false bottom on in the trunk.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been searching with no luck...what are the laws pertaining to nitrous in West Virginia?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

You know, this is actually a good topic. Someone with a decent understanding of legal jargon should do a little research, post it up and have a sticky made.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I searched for an hour online last night but I could find nothing. I'm going to run nitrous regardless of the laws but if its really illegal in WV I may try to hide the bottle better.

Quick Reply: Nitrous laws