Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All NXL owners inside please . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All NXL owners inside please . . .

OK, seems like more and more people are having problems with the NXL kit. I personally have worked with a few of you via PM's and email to sort out your problems, even though I was not able to get mine to run right. NX is a great company and make quality products, but we all put a lot of money into this kit. I myself have spent more on tuning, jetting, labor, time at the track, etc to *try* to get it to work the way it is advertized.

Well, I have had it I think, and many of you mentioned this before, that NX needs to know about this kit and the problems we are having.
If you all want to post your problems or PM them to me, along with your contact information (name, addy, email, etc) and I will write an open letter to NX asking to 1) fix the lean/rich jetting issues within 30 days or 2) recall the LS1 NXL kit and provide us with a replacment nitrous kit of our choice (reasonably) such as the MAF kit or nozzle kit.

Maybe a sponsor or admin can help, or I will do it myself for all of us. This thread is NOT a NX bashing post and I will delete it if it turns into one. I will not take it as far as a lawsuit 'cause thats not my intentions. I like NX, I like the kit (or did) but just want it to perform as advertised without running too rich/lean, without having to buy yet more parts (such as the accumulator), and with 1/4 times that make sense with the kit.

I dont know, they may tell us to buff our nuts or actually try to help. Its worth a shot. I already have a few local guys that want to be included.
What do you all say, lets get these problems fixed, let NX make us happy customers or replace these kits with a different NX kit. I just want the final outcome for NX to be happy and NX customers to be happy.

So post or pm your problems (ie running too rich/lean, installation issues, fuel supply issues, low HP ratings, etc)

Again, I am not one to complain and usually roll with the punches when it comes to modding my car, but seems like every kit has the same/similar problems. This thread is to post your problems, or positive experiences with the kit. PLEASE dont turn it into a bash NX thread, lets keep it to the topic.

I am also open to suggestions, even if you want to tell me that I am out of line for suggesting this
Old 07-25-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

My suggestion at this point would simply be to replace the rails with the integrated solenoids with a pair of 8-port distribution blocks, and run regular solenoids. I know for sure NX is re-engineering certain components of the kit, and they are dedicated to solving ALL the issues with it -- but you want a sure-fire solution at this point, that would be it.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
My suggestion at this point would simply be to replace the rails with the integrated solenoids with a pair of 8-port distribution blocks, and run regular solenoids. I know for sure NX is re-engineering certain components of the kit, and they are dedicated to solving ALL the issues with it -- but you want a sure-fire solution at this point, that would be it.

glad to hear they are redesigning it, do you know how much MORE this is going to cost us or how long we will have to wait? Are they aware of just how wide spread the issues are?

I imagine that the 8-port distro block $$$? Where can I get my hands on one and what is the cost? I would like to finish the season knowing that 2005 will be nitrous problem free.

again, thank you for responding Brains!!! Didn't know they were working on a redesign.

Last edited by MeanWS6; 07-25-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions or personal problems to add because I haven't had a chance to run my kit yet, but I am one of the first people to buy it and I will definately stand behind everyone else that has had problems if it should come to adding names to a list.

Based on what I've read over the past year of the issues I've heard about, Brains suggestion seems like a good one. It would basically turn the kit into a NX version of NOS's NOSZLE kit, which has proven to be a very good performer. You'd also have the benefit of perhaps running a seperate fuel system if you'd like rather than running off the rails.

Brains, do you know specifically what they are trying to re-engineer with the kit? Are they designing new integrated solenoids? If they are re-engineering the kit, where does that leave all the rest of us that have the old design?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the huge lean spike upon initial activation of the kit. I spent the extra dough on the accumulator. Now my fuel noids make only the slightest noise, and NO fuel comes out of either rail. Not good. I'm lucky my motor is not a paper weight. I really hope NX takes this seriously and fixes us. In hindsight, I wish I'd got with my old TNT kit.

NX, if you are out there, make this situation right, please!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

I have had a few problems with the kit, but the most obnoxious thing in my mind is the lack of clips on the rails for the injectors. I had the fuel rail lift several times and spray fuel all over the engine!! Scary! I fixed the problem by making custom brackets to hold the fuel rails to the intake.

The rails should have been made with flared cups like the stock rails. That way the stock clips would have worked and you could install the injectors in them without shredding orings.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I havent dyno'd mine yet but my track results are not real promising. I thought it may have been a temperature issue the first time out but it doesnt appear that way. I have pulled 4° of timing for the shot and when I autotap it the car is STILL pulling 3-4°s of knock retard which makes me think I am real lean with the NXL jetting they recommend. My ET is only dropping about.35 with a 120 shot and my trap speed is going up 5mph which both seem VERY low for a 120 shot.

Again I havent dyno'd but those are my on track results.

BTW you may want to also send the letter to Nitro Dave. He is EXCELLENT at fighting for the customer and will bend over backwards to make things right. Well if that is where you bought your kit, it is where I bought mine. If you didnt buy your kit there then nevermind.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can count me one. I did not see the advertised results either. I am running a 20/14 jets and only picking up 75 rwhp. I am putting in a fuel pump and going to try different jets next.

How can you tell if the solenoid is not flowing enough gas? How would you convert to a traditional 8 port distribution block and solenoids? I believe this woud involve removing the integrated solenoids and plug the holes, if possible. Then plumb lines directly from the block to each nozzle. If you did that then you do not need the NXL fuel rails or accumulator at all. Interesting idea though.

I did buy my kit from NitroDave. He will probably chime in here soon and he is aware of my problems. He told me that NX is redesigning the solenoids to flow better to support a larger shot.

And on the fuel rail rising up. I had the same problem abouta week ago. The bolts that secure the NX fuel rail brackets to the intake vibrated loose. The rail then rose up and the back injector popped out spraying fuel all over the intake & headers. Not good. I made my own brackets and used loctite on the bolts. So check your bolts guys before you have this problem.

Here are some additional NXL design problems:
1) The driver side fuel rail hits the firewall.
2) I installed the accumulator on the rear pass side fuel rail. I had to use a tight radius elbow instead of the supplied 180 degree fitting.
3) The fuel rail bracket issue addresses above.
4) The fuel rails should have been radiused where the injectos pop in. This would make installation easier and prevent damaging O-rings.

I spent a lot of money on this kit and NX should fix their mistake. Otherwise this is simply false advertising and means for a lawsuit, if you wanted to take it that far.

On the other side I like the way the kit looks, and hope that the fuel pump and jetting will fix my problems. Only time and more money will tell.
Chris
Old 07-26-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also had the fuel rails lift up, and sprayed fuel EVERYWHERE, all over the damn place.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow fuel all ove the place in an engine bay is BAD news. Your both lucky you didnt get a major fire.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
I also had the fuel rails lift up, and sprayed fuel EVERYWHERE, all over the damn place.

Same thing happened here!!!!
Speed Inc had to custom fab brackets to hold it in place. When I picked it up after the install - I drove the car home, stopped for about 15-20 mins, then ran down the the gas station, then about 2 blocks from my house on the way back I could smell fuel, pulled over and it was leaking fuel again. Called my neighbor and we pushed the car back to my garage. $75 towbill back to Speed Inc. I was LUCKY!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

The fuel rail lifting problems? Don't the brackets come with lock washers.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

My kit cam with serrated star washers, not lock washers. The instructions should at least recommend using loctite. I replaced mine with a stud, loctite and elastic lock nut screwed in to custom brackets.

Originally Posted by Fast94bird
The fuel rail lifting problems? Don't the brackets come with lock washers.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Did any of you call NX regarding this? I called their tech support about it and they said they had never heard anything about a fuel rail lifting, that I was the only one it has ever happened to and it must have been something I did wrong on the install.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I havent had that bad of lifting but I have had a strong fuel smell that would indicate possibly some lifting or torn Orings btu I replaced the ones I may have damaged
Old 07-26-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

If you havent already...please post your info in the thread stickied at the top of the forum concerning NXL problems so we can consolidate all info.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys I have been doing some problem chasing for you.Here is what I have came up with.When the NXL fisrts came out there was a problem with it hitting a lean spike.So NX came out with the accumalater.That took care of that.The fuel rail lifting,this is the first I have heard of this.The first kits did not come with star washers.The second batch we recieved did.(So you guys that had this problem.Did you have the star washers?) As for gregs problems with the fuel solenoids.It had to be an additive in the gas causing the fuel piston to swell. Try to stay away from additives or fuels with the following in it.Ethonal,Methonal,and purpeline oxide.
Now on the Jetting issue.Yes They are aware there is a jetting problem.We have offered the smaller fuel jets to lean out the system.
I talked to Ricky at NX today about the problems.Here is the solution that he has came up with. They are having another set of NXL rails machined for testing as we speak.It will be exactly like the ones you have.They will be putting the system on the test car.They will test the car on street and dyno.If there is any problem with jets they will send you the new tune up for free.If there is a fuel flow problem NX will supply the needed fix.All of there dyno runs will be posted.
NX is not hiding from any problems that might be.They want to make sure that if there is a problem that it is taken care of.GUYS THIS IS GOING TO TAKE TO 6 TO 8 WEEKS.
There has been 63 of these systems sold.But not that many complants.There are a few problems that I have seen,that are small problems.The biggest thing seems to be the jet pattern is off.

Please start a post in a thread with your name and what problems you are having.Please keep the clutter out.If you have not tested your system please do not post.I need to keep it simple so I can make a pin point on what problems need to be addressed.
Keep in mind that I am not NX however I have a very good relationship with the guys there and I beleive a 100% in them.If there is a problem they will address it and fix it.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dave You Are The Man!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some how I knew Dave would get some resolution.

Why machine a whole new kit take one off the shelf from your shop dave so we dont get a ringer kit that they made sure was 100000% correct not what the rest of us have.

My other big heartburn is related to the tuning. Once they get the lean/rich condition figured out how about they get us jets that give the correct RWHP. I dont want 75hp from a 120 shot I want 120.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help Dave. Keep us posted on the results. I agree the biggest problem appears to be the jetting. Someone start a post where we can list information and personal experience. Also if 63 of these kits have been sold I bet between this forum and the corvette forum we can account for at least 10. Be insteresting to see what the defect rate really is.