Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get more than 30-40lbs out of 60lb mother n20 bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get more than 30-40lbs out of 60lb mother n20 bottle?

I go through about 300-400lbs of nitrous here and we keep about 5 or 6, 60lb big nitrous bottles, we standardly freeze customers bottles in our freezer and they fill up easily even when its 105 degrees outside.

We also have an NX pump system if we have trouble getting the last couple pounds in a bottle.

Question
I get about 35-40lbs out of our 60lb mother bottle standardly...which means 20+ lbs is wasted and returned to the gas supplier.

When a mother bottle only has 20lbs left, im sure its pressure is down quite a bit, when it is that far down, does all the nitrous in it go into a gaseous state inside and doesnt transfer then, even with the pump your only getting about 1/3 of a lb a minute and you the reciever bottle gets VERY hot quickly with very little transfer.

If I put a wall plug in bottle heater on the big main bottle when it gets down to empty and heat the mother bottle quite a bit, will the nitrous inside go back into a liquid form with the pressure restored and then transfer from the diptube? The gas supplier made it sound like if i put a heater on the bottle it would actually convert the nitrous into a gas form from being heated?? is this true?

Makes me wonder if i keep a bottle cold at say 800-900 psi when full, and tune a car for the lower nitrous bottle temp, will i be able to make more horsepower from keeping the nitrous in a liquid state longer to the nozzle and also the bottle will not drop off in pressure 5 seconds into the run like it will when you run 1100+ psi.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

The problem is that pressure is directly related to temperature. There really is only one way to get a bottle more pressurized at the same temperature, and that is to overfill the bottle. Even then, though, the more pressure, the hotter the bottle.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, I am having the same problem. I only get 40-45LBS out of the 60# cylinders. I know their is spray left in them, cause when I tilt it back on its end, open up the master cylinder white spray comes out.
How can we get that last spray out?

Also, what size are your gottles, size meaning the letter. Mine are G+, just curious. Have you ever weighed your cylinders empty and full to compare?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Launching!

I know when we service freon in our aircraft we have a special wheel that threads onto the neck so it allows you to invert the mother bottle upside down. Combined with the use of a heating pad it gets pretty much all of the liquid freon out, and these are 50lb bottles.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pump a LOT of nitrous.
1st off why do you only use the 60 lb bottles? I find that it is almost the same cost for the 75lb-ers. A little off the subject but just asking.

Its not a pressure issue since you have the NX pump.

Do you use the tanks with syphon tubes. I'm assuming you are since your having this problem. When I first started using the tanks I could not get the last 10-25 lbs out of each tank. But its the crappy syphon tubes they were using. I started complaining and went there to watch them install a new one. Suddenly I could get most of it out.

The problem I was having was that the syphon tubes were not going all the way down to the bottom. Them once the liquid level droppped below it I would only pump the nitrous gas and just like you mentioned, the 10 lb-ers get hot, but no increase in weight. As you keep pumping the nitrous liquid sloooowwlllyyy converts to gas and takes forever.
The easist thing is to ask for tanks without the syphon tube and use them upsidedown.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 60# (actually is 56#) is all my current supplier has. I think its called a "G+" size. Is the 75# the "K" size?

I am also using the NX pump, my cylinders do NOT have a siphon tube - yet I still have the same problem.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, no syphon tube? and still a problem??????

Once you can't get anymore out, weigh the big bottle and then totally drain it. Does it add up to the correct ammount of nitrous? Maybe yur supplier is cutting corners.

Besides that, I have no idea.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Funny this post should come up, my boss and I were just discussing this issue the other day. We go through average of 3 70lb bottles every week to 10 days (got some nitrous junkies around here). We can never get the last bit out of them. Up until our last nitrous purchase, we used non-siphon style bottles, then we got 1 on our last order that was siphoned. It didnt pump all the way out either. We sure would like to be able to get that last customer bottle fill out of the tanks.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:39 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happens is the last 6 to 10lbs turns to a gas in the bottle.
U will NEVER get it all out,Its a chemical reaction that u must deal with when selling N20.We've used siphon style,non syphon style,cold bottles,hot bottles and NOTHING works.

U just have to live with it guys....
Old 07-31-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the mother bottle there is 56# of liq. and the more you use the more you loss the bottle is pressureizes, or the n.o.s. evaporates in to a gas inside the mother bottle the hotter the bottle the more pressure you get and less liq. if you want more out of your mother bottle is cool it down. If you remember that you freze your 10# or15# bottle to get liq. in to it because if the bottle is worm it will turn into gas and will equilze the pressure and if you youse a pump you need the freze the mother bottle to get all of it out.

Quick Reply: How to get more than 30-40lbs out of 60lb mother n20 bottle?