Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous measurement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous measurement

is there some way to measure how much nitrous your actually using to see how effcient your system really is? i see alot of guys saying they have a 150 shot putting down 116 hp or 160 hp are they just pilled/tuned wrong or is the kit just a inefficient design? this would be the true way to determine what kit is better IMO
Old 12-10-2004, 06:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I would say NX is he best cause it usually delivers the right amout to the wheels. Other would say TNT cause the jetting is NOT accurate. Why people think is better is way beyond me. I want to know what it is putting down when i put the 150 jets in.

TJ
Old 12-10-2004, 06:53 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

I believe you measure your fuel consumption rather then N2O flow. You find out how much and then you are able to look up how much HP you are able to make with that amount of fuel.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

wouldnt it depend though. say if kit one uses 3# on nitrous and 2 gallons of fuel and kit two uses 2# of nitrous and 1 gallon of gas yet both kits make the same amount of power to the wheels kit two would be better since it uses less to make the same amount of power. see what i'm getting at?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hellbents10
...Other would say TNT cause the jetting is NOT accurate. Why people think is better is way beyond me. I want to know what it is putting down when i put the 150 jets in.

TJ
its accurate, at the wheels
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rons 00z
wouldnt it depend though. say if kit one uses 3# on nitrous and 2 gallons of fuel and kit two uses 2# of nitrous and 1 gallon of gas yet both kits make the same amount of power to the wheels kit two would be better since it uses less to make the same amount of power. see what i'm getting at?

Yup, that would be correct, it is easier to mesure fuel flow ( I would think ). You know that you have to have a linear ratio between fuel and N2O, so whater ever makes the most power/fuel is the more efficient kit, granted ALL else is equel.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Launching!

All kits will be just as efficient as long as they are tuned correctly. NOS, NX, TNT, Edelbrock, etc, it doesnt matter. Its all chemestry that decides how much more power youre going to make. They all inject the same nitrous and use the same fuel. Its all in the balance of how much you put in
Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Better nozzle design which makes better fuel atomization palys a pretty decent factor in it too. Big difference between squirtin a blob of gas or a perfect mist into your cylinder. Thats the extant of my knowledge on it. I'm sure some others got the nitty gritty on it.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Banned

TNT owners love the fact that a 100 shot will give them 115 or 120 to the wheels and 150 shot will give them around 160 to the wheels. I can understand the gittyness of having MORE horsepower then expected.. but IMHO that is ricer mentality.

My fuel pump is not able to handle consistantly more than 150 shot (wet). Why would I be happy spraying a number which I am unsure about.

Atleast NX says 150 and you are getting 148-152. Their website claims a 2 horsepower difference from their rated numbers ( and NX is to the wheels also ).

I just dont see how people can be so ignorant sometimes when it comes to putting your engine in harms way
Old 12-12-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
TNT owners love the fact that a 100 shot will give them 115 or 120 to the wheels and 150 shot will give them around 160 to the wheels. I can understand the gittyness of having MORE horsepower then expected.. but IMHO that is ricer mentality.
ricer mentality because we like the fact taht this kit tends to make more power (whether it is due to better nozzle design, or it is just rated differently)? umm, ok.

My fuel pump is not able to handle consistantly more than 150 shot (wet). Why would I be happy spraying a number which I am unsure about.

I just dont see how people can be so ignorant sometimes when it comes to putting your engine in harms way
i know what you mean. but its simple, for the most part we all know that a 150 shot in general requires a fuel pump to be safe, correct? so, with a TNT setup all you have to do is keep the 100 shot jets in with the stock fuel system.

with any kit (nx, tnt, nos, edelbrock, zex, etc), anyone spraying should get themselves on a dyno and do a few nitrous runs on the spray, to make sure their a/f ratio is ok. no ignorance involved as long as you do it right
Old 12-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Launching!

yeah, i know what you mean about the atomization. But there really is no bad nitrous kit out there. Pretty much all of the major brand nozzles are pretty damn good
Old 12-12-2004, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess he is on the same page as me though. I just don't get why its soo cool to be sprayin more then what it says, makes it no better. I agree though wideband tunning should be done along with a carefull eye on fuel and timing.

TJ
Old 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

Getting back OT-

Ron 00Z, everyone I know, when wanting to measure nitrous consumed weighs the bottle before the run and after. Memory here: 1lbs of nitrous per 100hp every 10sec; running 100 jets, ET of 11.70 I use just over one pound, average about 7 runs per bottle, spraying out of the hole and thru the shifts, with the 7th being slower (unless the bottle is hot). Should be about there though.

Off Topic: The nozzle design contributes to atomization which will increase or decrease power output, as well as max power e.g. you can run a jetless 5177 kit and not spray more than what 150hp! Thats with no jets. Take the jet out of one of the wet kits, block of the fuel side and run that on a dry kit and see what you get! Also, although the jets are supposed to be universally stamped according to orifice size, I believe there is a difference in the TNT Jets orifice and others, or theres just a bigger difference in the recommended fuel to nitrous jetting pattern attributing to the difference in power. My experience is that NX is not as close to 2hp, more like 5-8%, normally under which is due to the safer AFR using the NX jet charts. TNT kits have shown closer to the advertised, if not over, but also have a leaner AFR than NX. I prefer the richer jetting, and then dial it in for my particular combo. And if given the choice, I would use the NX MAF kit over any other wet kit out there, including the TNT Power Ring.

Just my $.02

Charlie
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
And if given the choice, I would use the NX MAF kit over any other wet kit out there, including the TNT Power Ring.

Just my $.02

Charlie
even over a direct port? thats the market i'm looking at. basicly like the coldfusion kit or nos nozzle where the ports sit under the injector
Old 12-20-2004, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Guys in the end, It's what you get at the wheels that matters. Nitrous is nitrous If I run a TNT kit and gain 140 at the wheels using the 125 jets or run my 5177 kit and gain 140 at the wheels spraying with no jets. I can amoast gaurantee you that the amount on juce that makes it to the engine is identical because the amount of cumbustabe air in the cylinders would have to be close to equal for the power output to be thesame on any givin engine. It's not like the kit's are cylinder heads or headers where some make more power then the others due to the fact that one flows more then the other. Who cares what the kit is rated at. Put it on the dyno, see the gains that you get and when you feel you're at where you want to be, leave it. Or don't
Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

Atleast NX says 150 and you are getting 148-152. Their website claims a 2 horsepower difference from their rated numbers ( and NX is to the wheels also ).

How can they claim a 2hp difference if they don't even know what your drivetrain consists of? I mean 200hp at the flywheel might be 170 at the wheels for an m6 car and 160 for a th400 car. I think they are just general estimates.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Bing, bing, bing we have a winner. What does it really matter what it makes VS what is advertized? What matters is does it make the RWHP you want it to make? If not change the jetts and it will, just make sure the A/F is where it should be and it's all good.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Bing, bing, bing we have a winner. What does it really matter what it makes VS what is advertized? What matters is does it make the RWHP you want it to make? If not change the jetts and it will, just make sure the A/F is where it should be and it's all good.

Originally Posted by ricekillman
Guys in the end, It's what you get at the wheels that matters. Nitrous is nitrous If I run a TNT kit and gain 140 at the wheels using the 125 jets or run my 5177 kit and gain 140 at the wheels spraying with no jets. I can amoast gaurantee you that the amount on juce that makes it to the engine is identical because the amount of cumbustabe air in the cylinders would have to be close to equal for the power output to be thesame on any givin engine. It's not like the kit's are cylinder heads or headers where some make more power then the others due to the fact that one flows more then the other. Who cares what the kit is rated at. Put it on the dyno, see the gains that you get and when you feel you're at where you want to be, leave it. Or don't