Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running lines through interior.... any issues with this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Well if your not running carpet then I asume your fast enough to need chassis certs to race anyway.
yup 10.97 @127. the certs out here are terrible. but i plan on putting lightweight carpet back in ,just had to cage it. and i was pretty lazy to cut around the pipe and the carpet was f----- up anyway
Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Chassis certification has nothing to do with tech for rule compliance on other safety items. It's up to your local track to verify that the car conforms, and a lot of tracks primarily depend on the waiver you sign that says your car meets the requirements.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

So if you go for chassis certs and something with the car doesn't comply with saftey tech (like the nitrous line routing, or something like that) they will still give you your certs if the chassis itself meets all the requirements? So basicly you can bring them a rolling chassis?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Another vote for through the interior. If your building a serious competitive drag car, of course you won't pass tech. Otherwise, rock and roll.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
So if you go for chassis certs and something with the car doesn't comply with saftey tech (like the nitrous line routing, or something like that) they will still give you your certs if the chassis itself meets all the requirements? So basicly you can bring them a rolling chassis?
Don't know if you could get a cert on a rolling chassis. I just went through my chassis certification end of last year and they do not check for rules compliance for other items in the car. I was still interested in making sure my car was safe and met the rules, so as a courtesy I had him make recommendations for all aspects of the car.

I agree it would probably be the safest routing outside the car. Has anyone found a section in the rulebook that requires it? I've only ever seen the requirements for venting the bottle, psi bottle capacity and permanent mounting requirements. I'm curious if there is a rule on it.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Can we dispell the rumor yet? Anybody find this in the rulebook???
Old 01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wile_E
Isn't it required to be run outside the cars per NHRA rules? I've never read this but heard it from a few people.
Yeah it is. I had mine routed in the interior as well. But i have the kit out at the moment and will run underneath because of this fact. If your only gonna use it on the street then it is fine. If however you got to tech in , it is a required rule to have it outside the car underneath.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Yeah it is. I had mine routed in the interior as well. But i have the kit out at the moment and will run underneath because of this fact. If your only gonna use it on the street then it is fine. If however you got to tech in , it is a required rule to have it outside the car underneath.
Are you speculating about this or do you know where this rule is stated in the NHRA book.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

page 202, no mention of running lines at all.
I don both and out side the car is easier, just poke a hole in the rubber drain plug and snap tie it to the fuel lines and flow them up
Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Fred, now we can quit guessing
Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is perfectly fine to run the lines inside the car. Next time you're at a big race, look inside a Pro Street or Pro Mod car. Lines everywhere, and they all mount their bottles where the passenger seat is/was.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.awesomemotorsports.com/ph...o/image07.html
Not a great pic, but you get the idea.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Cool, that puts that to rest. I've always been told it was illigal. I imagine IHRA must be the same since their rules are alittle more lax anyway.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

man this subject really hit a soft spot in some people!all he wanted to know if there was any issues not if it was ihra/nhra legal.but any ways the point being I personally think outside of the car is better and safer.those pictures dont mean nothing ,thats it legal for racing.just because no one says anything doesnt mean that its right/ legal.and for that part your subposed to register your vechile w/ dmv that it carring a bottled product,that it is secured properly and display a sign it on the outside of your vechile.ever heard of haz mat.thats why those truck drivers have those stupid *** signs stating oxygen,hazardous,explosive,and so on.this may not be true in all states but it is around where.now thats a issue for him to think about!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

How could you think that the tech requirements are not directly related to this question??????????
Old 01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
man this subject really hit a soft spot in some people!all he wanted to know if there was any issues not if it was ihra/nhra legal.but any ways the point being I personally think outside of the car is better and safer.those pictures dont mean nothing ,thats it legal for racing.just because no one says anything doesnt mean that its right/ legal.and for that part your subposed to register your vechile w/ dmv that it carring a bottled product,that it is secured properly and display a sign it on the outside of your vechile.ever heard of haz mat.thats why those truck drivers have those stupid *** signs stating oxygen,hazardous,explosive,and so on.this may not be true in all states but it is around where.now thats a issue for him to think about!
I guess if a line ruptured in the car, you'd end up with a good buzz I see no hazards.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I for one am glad we got an answer - I am about to install my kit with the line under the carpet and I have to get teched at both IHRA and NHRA tracks! I'd hate to have to do it twice. Thanks to those who ran the answer down!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by next
How could you think that the tech requirements are not directly related to this question??????????
simple he didnt say nothing about racing at the track. he was looking for the factory look, right?I simply stated my thoughts/opinion about going thru the interior.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
I guess if a line ruptured in the car, you'd end up with a good buzz I see no hazards.
oh so you think.nitrous thats used in car was sulpur in it and will is very harmful to your health.unless you went out and got medical grade nitrous which I highly doubt unless your a doctor.go ahead and try alittle bit see how sick you end up!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Smokeum, can you let it go. You're right about the safest route. This thread has been valuable to answer tech questions which is the goal of the site and users.