Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Cold Fusion Bottle Opener(discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The money difference really doesnt seem to be that much either. Just worries me to let something like that control the whole system.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kakarot2569
The money difference really doesnt seem to be that much either. Just worries me to let something like that control the whole system.
Wha? The CF/DT/Edel. solenoid openers are all <$100 whereas NX openers typically go for ~$250 (retail).

I'm looking to get one of these soon. I can see the argument for leaking solenoids but I have two N2O noids in series (flow) ala the 5177 so this would make three.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are going for like $180 and you can get them brand new on ebay for cheaper as well. I payed $125 for a brand new NX oepner in the package!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that surging may relate to the need for some
backpressure to keep the solenoid types open; from the
description I've read, the solenoid opens a little valve
and the nitrous pressure then opens the main. So you
need some pressure. An "open hose" system might let that
fall too much against the bottle / opener upstream
restriction.

I bought one of these type, but haven't done the wiring
yet to actually use it... for my modest plans I'm confident
I'll prefer it over the gear-on-bottle-valve type (which
would be zero added restriction but mucho added expense).
Old 02-14-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kakarot2569
Well I am still not sold on using a solenoid as a bottle opener. If that were the case then we could just let the solenoids underneath our hood hold the nitrous back all the time an never have to worry.
The regular noids draw more current (amps) and get hot which can cause failure when open for long periods. Where as, the opener type are low draw and designed to stay open and not get hot, also are designed for continues press when closed. In my opinion, reg noids can sustain continued press closed, as was designed by the engineers to work at these pressures. But, we all know noids do fail. For my system like 5.8liter said (NOS 5177 dry), dual n2o noids and bottle noid equal 3 times safety. When I get out of car bottle shuts and the chance that both n2o noids fail and leak are about 0.

Last edited by Robert56; 02-14-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
They are going for like $180 and you can get them brand new on ebay for cheaper as well. I payed $125 for a brand new NX oepner in the package!
What he said, I wouldnt pay 250 for a remote bottle opener. Do some searching they can be had farely cheap. The NX opener seems to be the best brand so far also.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robert56
The regular noids draw more current (amps) and get hot which can cause failure when open for long periods. Where as, the opener type are low draw and designed to stay open and not get hot, also are designed for continues press when closed. In my opinion, reg noids can sustain continued press closed, as was designed by the engineers to work at these pressures. But, we all know noids do fail. For my system like 5.8liter said (NOS 5177 dry), dual n2o noids and bottle noid equal 3 times safety. When I get out of car bottle shuts and the chance that both n2o noids fail and leak are about 0.
So why not design the regular noids to be low draw then also? And in order to feel safe you have to buy 2 extra solenoids now? Not only that but you also have to rebuild the solenoids to ensure they are working top notch, a valve style opener doesnt require any rebuilding.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Cold Fusion Bottle Opener(discussion)