Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone turned the horn buttons on steering wheel into momentary n2o switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone turned the horn buttons on steering wheel into momentary n2o switch?

like the title says. i want to keep the inside looking stock and a friend had the idea of using the horns as the momentary and rigging the cigarette lighter for the master switch. is there any problems that anyone has run into trying to do this?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28convert
like the title says. i want to keep the inside looking stock and a friend had the idea of using the horns as the momentary and rigging the cigarette lighter for the master switch. is there any problems that anyone has run into trying to do this?
Funny, 1st time I've ever heard of this idea from someone else. I couldn't resist using my horn for something. I ended up using it for my line lock not nitrous.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My second stage used to be hooked up that way. Worked great.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Teching In

that would be awesome when i forgot and tried to blow the horn at some slow azz in front of me on the turnpike
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the horn switches typically are weak and cheap....just put the right stuff in it and have it work correctly. Trying to hide it is a mistake...use the right parts made for nitrous use.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDB
the horn switches typically are weak and cheap....just put the right stuff in it and have it work correctly. Trying to hide it is a mistake...use the right parts made for nitrous use.
Imo, the switch is fine as long as you use a relay. I've been thinking of this for some time also, but every horn seems to have it's certain spot that works and don't like the idea of messing around while speed shifting. So, I'm thinking of a add on switch that has a more positive engagement, by the thumb. It could be mounted to wheel on small bracket and use a coiled (like old phone cables) wiring loom, would look sick.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

that would be awesome when i forgot and tried to blow the horn at some slow azz in front of me on the turnpike thats funny, i thought of the same thing

Trying to hide it is a mistake...use the right parts made for nitrous use....I only want to hide it because Ive had friends go to buy a car or just seeing a friends car with blatent switches that obviously didnt come stock on the vehicle and it looks cheap and cheesy. I obviously need the switches, so if im going to have them, I want it to look inconspicuous. Using factory things such as the horn seemed like a way to get away with it.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

The ones that look cheesy are usually made by someone with less than a working knowledge of craftsmanship.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

www.jimmy-jams.com Check out the ashtray switches . Completely stealth until you pop the ashtray lid!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look at the NX switches. They look stock and fit right in the space beside the cigarette lighter.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

those ashtray switches look good. The switches that i was refering to were the stupid ones that you see in 100 hp imports. I havent really seen any of these. I already started cutting in the switch that came in the kit into the ashtray. it fits perfect and seems like it'll work. I may go with one from the link you sent, but I may decide to do something creative with the horn anyway. Who knows. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

ok how about converting one of your steering wheel control buttons to a momentary n02 button??? i was going to try to turn one of the buttons to an switch to activate my 2nd stage. anyone done this???
Old 04-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned

I just went to my install shop. The steering wheel switchs wont work for a pushbutton nitrous switch because its only one wire that goes to the stereo. So it sends a certain signal to the head unit. I wanted to use my "Mute" button as a momentary switch and that way the inside would still be stock looking. Plus I could keep my hands on the steering wheel while racing. I dont like WOT switches because I've had one get stuck before. Plus I like to control how much I beat someone by in a race. Anyways anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

well i wanted to do that but i guess im going to try and get a button on my shifter. i have a mba shift **** now and really dont want to get rid of it. i wonder if there is anyway i can put a button on it instead of getting a hurst t handle or the hurst sidewinder. anyone think its possible to put a button on the mba???
Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a homemade switch panel on my Z06. I want a momentary 2nd stage that I can access while shifting, besides the swithes in panel.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000TARiceKilla
I just went to my install shop. The steering wheel switchs wont work for a pushbutton nitrous switch because its only one wire that goes to the stereo. So it sends a certain signal to the head unit. I wanted to use my "Mute" button as a momentary switch and that way the inside would still be stock looking. Plus I could keep my hands on the steering wheel while racing. I dont like WOT switches because I've had one get stuck before. Plus I like to control how much I beat someone by in a race. Anyways anyone have any other ideas?
It seems that wheel switches should work. Just because it has only one wire leaving means it's grounded at wheel, right, or am I missing something. You take the wire going to the stereo and use it as your ground through the relay switch (should use one for safety). How can it send a signal/recieve/alter without being grounded. Should use a wot switch also, for safety.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Imo, the switch is fine as long as you use a relay. I've been thinking of this for some time also, but every horn seems to have it's certain spot that works and don't like the idea of messing around while speed shifting. So, I'm thinking of a add on switch that has a more positive engagement, by the thumb. It could be mounted to wheel on small bracket and use a coiled (like old phone cables) wiring loom, would look sick.
It already has a pretty good relay in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

only problem... ppl are gonna ask you why you always honking when racing ?
you can always say it's the nervous/stressed side of you... lol
Old 04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

haha, i thought of the same thing. if i wanted to be stupid id leave it so it did honk while i was hitting the nitrous. it would be funny, but it would get old fast.

almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s and At the track
How do you turn with 315's on the front? my car has a rough time hitting bumps on the back roads with 275's, its really road sensitive.
almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s and At the track
Old 04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

The problem is with the horn is when you miss a shift or something your more then likely going to already be on the button which will possibly make your motor go bye bye..

What you could do is use your WOT switch already, this is for the people with a 2nd stage, and use the button on the horn to control when it comes on. So if you let off and miss a shift and your holding down the button it will not be spraying..

Quick Reply: has anyone turned the horn buttons on steering wheel into momentary n2o switch?