Sponsored by:

Question about n2o critical pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about n2o critical pressure

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding how gasses work (in regards to n2o). From what I understand, at room temperature nitrous's vapor pressure is about 700 PSI, and at 95 degrees around 1050 PSI.

I've read that it's critical pressure is 1069 PSI @ 97.7F (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N2o - The units are in metric but you can trust me on the conversion).

I have a question regarding this behavior in a nitrogen push configuration.

The definition of critical temperature appears to be the temperature at which it becomes a gas, and you cant get it to be a liquid no matter what pressure you make it.

The definition of critical pressure, is it's the vapo rpressure at the critical temperature.

The critical pressure is 1069 PSI. Does this mean that if I keep the bottle below 97.7F, I can push the N2O at higher pressures like 1100 PSI, or does this mean when you exceed 1069 PSI it becomes a liquid anyhow?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Assuming your conversion is right, if N2O goes over 97.7 degrees F, it's a gas and no amount of pressure will make it a liquid. That would also possibly make the N2 and N2O mix together, since the N2 wouldn't be staying on top of the liquid N2O. If you keep the temp below that, I think you can add as much pressure as you want, as long as you don't go nuts & blow a pop valve or something.

That's the way I read it, anyway. But, I'm no chemist. Personally, I would be interested in a Nitrous push system. If N2O is always a gas over 97.7 degF, then what would be the feasibility of having a small bottle of N2O, heated to 110degF or so, and using that as your "push" agent? It'd pass tech, where N2 push wouldn't.

-Mark
Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Never mind, that's a dumb idea. That'd basically be like having two bottles share one heater - what's the point in that? Besides, the advantage of a n2 push system is to have it available instantly instead of having to wait for the heater anyway. I do wish n2 push would pass tech, though, but last I heard nhra doesn't like mixing n2o with anything, even an inert gas like n2...