Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product!!! Progressive Nitrous Controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this thing can retard timing unlike the maximizer, and for a lot less too. Good work!

EDIT: Just wish it wasn't so ugly looking, lol.

Last edited by BackinBlack02SS; 09-06-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

I am impressed i mean it gives you all the lil things like timming and window switch with the addition of shut down features and much more i will have to be in the market for one of these keep us updated
Old 09-07-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

where does it send a signal to to retard timing?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Somebody09
Can I freeze/boil/run over it?

No offense, but I don't see why anyone would want a tripple stage setup. Wouldn't that somehow defeat the purpose of the progression of progressive units? The only thing I can think of is direct port (DP) + wet + dry which is just insane. I think anyone running a DP shouldn't also run a wet shot since DP is so much more efficient and accurate. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

-somebody
If you want to run quick, triple stage is the way to do it. I am running a dry hit outa the hole, and a second stage dry that comes on at 4700 rpm (right after torque peak) in second gear, and setting up for a third wet stage. The massive torque of an all in one hit usually blows the tires off for the regular non dedicated race car, and the breakage of drivetrain parts has to be considered. Also the clyinder pressures seen in a all in one big hit will shorten the life of a motor. Furthermore, if you spread the torque out over the run you will win more races compared to using max torque at beginning and slowly tapering off from there. The name of the game for a street/strip car is longevity. Progressive is an option, and I am still not totally sure it is a better way, over multi-stage. Either way, tuning the hits is much more power producing than an all in one, imo.
Robert
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Ah, but what if you're doing a direct port with dual stages and a dry or wet shot on top of that? I know of one person doing it that way . It is an option anyway.

Matt
Yes, lots of guys are using a dry for pcm tuning then direct port single/dual stage on top.
Robert
Old 09-07-2005, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Triple stage, you say...hmmmmmmm
Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Looks like this thing can retard timing unlike the maximizer, and for a lot less too. Good work!

EDIT: Just wish it wasn't so ugly looking, lol.
BlackinBlack the maximizer can control a retard device.
Ricky
Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Hey Joe,

It supports time based build progressions. RPM based along with a slew of other features will be available in the next version.

Thanks,
Matt

Originally Posted by jerflash
i have a 6 speed so i would ove to have a progresive controller for the set up im thinking about

i saw on some competitors that they have a gear counting feature

does this have something like that or if it just work by time?

this seems like a great product guys keep up the good work

thanks

joe
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

It activates a ground that would then be sent to the ignition system. On a LS1 you would need a LS1 Timing Tuner. The Edge itself does not do the timing retard, it just activates when the nitrous is in use.

Matt

Originally Posted by red90cobra
where does it send a signal to to retard timing?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a few screen grabs of the LCD screen on The Edge. Below is a video (right click and save as) of The Edge in use. The audio cuts in and out a bit and I shouldn't of even tried doing any hand held shooting, but I guess that's why I'm not in video production LOL. The two LEDs light flash when the unit is pulsing the solenoids and go solid when the build time is over.

The Edge Demo Video (Right Click and Save Target As)

The video is a little more then 4 megs.

Matt
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

It activates a ground that would then be sent to the ignition system. On a LS1 you would need a LS1 Timing Tuner. The Edge itself does not do the timing retard, it just activates when the nitrous is in use.

Matt
Wouldn't it need to send a signal that varies based on the % duty cycle? With progressive systems the amount of retard needed will also be progressive. A simple on/off signal won't suffice.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW! The LCD looks great! Where have you mounted it so far, and how does it look?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

No, it's up to the ignition system on how it pulls the timing, which is usually based on RPM (like when using BS3 to pull timing when spraying it's based on RPM). The Edge has two options for timing retard activation. One is to activate the ignition retard as soon as The Edge is pulsing the solenoids or it will activate it when you hit 50% of the build time.

Matt

Originally Posted by jyeager
Wouldn't it need to send a signal that varies based on the % duty cycle? With progressive systems the amount of retard needed will also be progressive. A simple on/off signal won't suffice.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, the blue is nice. On the LS1 it's been living in the glove box. We might be able to fab something up so it sits down by the traction control switch. On our Lightning we fabed up a little stand and she lives next to the BigLog.

Matt

Originally Posted by XJOSHX
WOW! The LCD looks great! Where have you mounted it so far, and how does it look?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it's up to the ignition system on how it pulls the timing, which is usually based on RPM (like when using BS3 to pull timing when spraying it's based on RPM). The Edge has two options for timing retard activation. One is to activate the ignition retard as soon as The Edge is pulsing the solenoids or it will activate it when you hit 50% of the build time.

Matt
you could go into the tables on edit or hp tuners for IAT...highlight them all...and pull say 8 degrees of timing (amount varies) at a certain temperature.

grab a resistor..and then set up a relay for a trigger.

thats what i did and it works like a champ...you could use the edge to provide a ground for a relay.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

im assuming this also pulses the solenoids to make it progressive?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, it is a progressive controller that pulses the solenoids.

Matt
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm... I love the LCD. Very nice indeed.

Never heard of a dual stage direct port, I guess I'd have to see your setup to fully understand. But hey, if it works, then it works! I think I'll just stick with my Maximizer II for now seeing how I'm only doing a 175.

Thanks for the insight.

-somebody
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

matt do you think this controler would be worth it even if ur doing a small shot for now(100-175shot)? it still does the small things you need for safety but you could always add on i think if you go bigger in the long run. what are your thoughts on this

-Chris
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Dag it doesn't pull timing? I thought it says it does. You had me selling my timing tuner to get one of these. hahah that sucks.