Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry users, a mech pressure regulator for consistant runs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dry users, a mech pressure regulator for consistant runs

What do guys think on running a regulator like below. You could have a bottle heater set to 1150psi and than set the mech reg to 950psi and run more consistant back to back. This would work great with a 15lb bottle for a longer period of consistant n2o intake. I think this is a great way to bracket race. Opinions please.

Full info:
Mech Inline regulator
Robert
Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would just have to test it. A regulator attempts to regulate the pressure...but its the RATE at which it can do this while nitrous is flowing that can be different and throw things off.

In other words...I have a regulator i use on a nitrogen bottle...it regulates 2500 psi down to 200 psi and I use this on my impact gun to get really hard to loosen bolts off Anyways...with airpressure at the regulated 200 psi in the line to the impact gun its all good and ready to go. Squeeze the trigger and it gets a full shot of 200 psi and that impact really goes to town...FOR ABOUT 2 SECONDS and then it dies. Because the rate at which it regulates that 200 psi is very slow compared to the flow the impact needs.
So you would really need a regulator that has the capabilty to regulate ALOT of flow. And I have no idea what the accuracy and repeatabilty of a regulators FLOW rate is.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

That thing is made for motorcycles and probably fairly small shots. I dont know if it would have the flow to regulate a large shot. Also....if you set it to 1100 psi...you will have to have the nitrous pressure considerably higher to start with because if bottle pressure drops below the regulator setting it will obviously just get bottle pressure anyways.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Very good analogy.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Al, good insight as usual. Yea it's for a two wheeler, but it got me thinking. Kinda like what your doing with your nitrogen push, right. That's why I say bottle heater to 1150psi (mine is elect transducers set for 95* or 1150) then run/jet for a 950psi hit and with a 15lb bottle you'll run the same for a longer period (no variation in pressure) with a reg. Do you think a reg like you use on your nitrogen sys would be adaquate for flow? thanks
Robert
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I know the regulator I use on the nitrogen would not be up to the task. Its the same one I use for the impact gun..lol. and it would always lag behind a second or two when using it for the nitrogen push. That why i went with the dednbear noid and pressure switch.

BTW..the noid betweeen the nitrogen bottle and the nitrous bottle will now be controlled by the maximizer II. The pressure transducer will go into the nitrous bottle and that sends a signal to the MAXII and show n20 pressure on the laptop. Well there is a 12 volt out signal (intended for the heater) that turns on at whatever pressure you set in the MaxII. This will now be used to control the dedenbear noid. It will also datalog the nitrous pressure throught a run. So I will be able to see how effective the nitrogen push actually is with datalogged runs.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ummm...the search will start for a usable reg. I am going to set the LM1 up to log my n2o pressure and fuel pressure soon, on each run. A very good tuning/safety aid. I would do nitrogen push but my tracks I run on are all over the n2o guys, and stick to NHRA rules. They were even giving me a hard time on my laptop, mounted on a police type stand, bolted to the pass seat bolts/frame.
Robert
Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
What do guys think on running a regulator like below. You could have a bottle heater set to 1150psi and than set the mech reg to 950psi and run more consistant back to back. This would work great with a 15lb bottle for a longer period of consistant n2o intake. I think this is a great way to bracket race. Opinions please.

Full info:
Mech Inline regulator
Robert
Yep you'll need a regulator with a very high flow rating. The larger the CV number in the specs the greater the flow rating. Maybe you can find out the CV rating of the bottle valve itself and see if you can find a regulator with a higher rating?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Robert56
Ummm...the search will start for a usable reg. I am going to set the LM1 up to log my n2o pressure and fuel pressure soon, on each run. A very good tuning/safety aid. I would do nitrogen push but my tracks I run on are all over the n2o guys, and stick to NHRA rules. They were even giving me a hard time on my laptop, mounted on a police type stand, bolted to the pass seat bolts/frame.
Robert
How do you set up the LM-1 to log FP and N20 Psi? Can you not use HPT to log those perimeters?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Yep you'll need a regulator with a very high flow rating. The larger the CV number in the specs the greater the flow rating. Maybe you can find out the CV rating of the bottle valve itself and see if you can find a regulator with a higher rating?
Pardon my ignorance, but what does CV stand for? Maybe I know, but it's just not clicking.
Robert
Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAT3
How do you set up the LM-1 to log FP and N20 Psi? Can you not use HPT to log those perimeters?
You need to get the LMN-3 AuxBox 6-channel aux input. You then can add up to six additional inputs for logging, FP, N2o press, exhaust temp and so on. The only thing I know of for the HP tuner is you can send your cable back to be set up for your LM1 wb a/f input, which replaces your NB a/f in the HP Tuners tables, very cool. What I like about LM1 is the fact that you can over lay different log parameters, like a/f on top of rpm or any combo you like. I am sure there is more, but been so busy, I haven't had a chance to explore all the capabilities of HPT or Innovate.
Robert