Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing/Bypassing FPSS

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sponsors....any comments?

XTrooper, let us know about the A/F ratio nitrous shutoff switch. I didn't know about this device, sounds like a better version of an FPSS for sure.

Can I, and where can I get one?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=antz01ta]
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Well, I bypassed it and now I'm spraying again, so it must be the damn FPSS.
QUOTE]

i took mine off too steve, havent run one for 2 years now.
Yeah, I remember you telling me that, Glenn. It looks like I'll be doing the same till something better comes along.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Sponsors....any comments?

XTrooper, let us know about the A/F ratio nitrous shutoff switch. I didn't know about this device, sounds like a better version of an FPSS for sure.

Can I, and where can I get one?
Well, most if not all of the progressive controllers available have this capability built-in, but for me to buy one of them I'd be paying for a lot of features I don't need and they aren't cheap. I'm hoping DynoTune releases their upcoming stand-alone A/F shutoff switch soon as it should be less of an investment and easier to install.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Well, most if not all of the progressive controllers available have this capability built-in, but for me to buy one of them I'd be paying for a lot of features I don't need and they aren't cheap. I'm hoping DynoTune releases their upcoming stand-alone A/F shutoff switch soon as it should be less of an investment and easier to install.
Ditto all the above for me I am going with pure simplicity; basic NX kit on heads, cam, and bolt ons.

Not a big nitrous car for sure. But I would like something to protect my current investments.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
But I would like something to protect my current investments.
I hear ya! Did you see this, amigo? A buck and a half isn't bad at all and it's ~50% less than the least expensive controller. If you don't really need a controller, this might be the way to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/387150-question-dynotune.html
Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

I hear ya! Did you see this, amigo? A buck and a half isn't bad at all and it's ~50% less than the least expensive controller. If you don't really need a controller, this might be the way to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387150
I am now standing in the line, thanks X!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm no expert here, but I have come to believe that a narrow band is not accurate enough to be reliable to shut the system down based on AFR.

You might want to check this out thouroughly before investing in one.

I am as stingy as anyone but if I trash my motor, spending between $400.00 & $500.00 for a wideband would have been pretty darn cheap. I look at it like buying insurance. If you buy it you may never need it but if you don't and something happens you will be kicking yourself all the way to the bank!!

Hopefully we will be seeing a wideband setup for this without extra features for less $$$$. I would think they will sell.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

I'm no expert on the subject, but I've been told by Dynotune and others that narrowbands are actually pretty accurate as long as they're on the lean side of stoich.

As far as spending $400-500 on a wideband, Dynotune has preprogrammed LC-1s for under $200, and a LC-1 gauge combo for $250 right now.

EDIT: sorry I meant wideband

Last edited by Zeus; 09-30-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zeus
I'm no expert on the subject, but I've been told by Dynotune and others that narrowbands are actually pretty accurate as long as they're on the lean side of stoich.

As far as spending $400-500 on a narrowband, Dynotune has preprogrammed LC-1s for under $200, and a LC-1 gauge combo for $250 right now.
The $400-500 I was referring to was for a wide band with the ability to set an AFR and it will shut the system down if it gets leaner than what you set it at.

As far as I know this should catch everything except a nitrous solenoid that sticks open. If it goes lean due to fuel pump failure or for any number of reasons ( bad relay, blown fuse, bad connection etc.) the fuel solenoid does not open or only opens part way you will probably trash the motor.

The one thing that really concerns me is our state (Kansas) in their infinate wisdom no longer requires gas stations to label the pumps if the gas contains ethenol (alcohol). So if you get a tank of gas with ethenol you may not know it. (Of course the guy at the station will probably have no clue what is in the fuel so you are on your own!) This can cause the fuel solenoid to swell and restrict the fuel delivery=lean=boom. A functioning FPSS will not help because the fuel pressure will not be effected.

Beware out there our government is taking care of us, but have no clue or don't care or both how their decisions effect us citizens. Of course if we had a lobby like the grain producers have maybe the pumps will still be labled.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by terry s
I'm no expert here, but I have come to believe that a narrow band is not accurate enough to be reliable to shut the system down based on AFR.
Terry,

Actually, the narrowband readings have proven to be sufficiently accurate at WOT which is all we're really concerned with when spraying.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone use a FPSS for several years with NO ISSUES??