Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying off the line A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the phrase 'out of the hole' means many things to different people. to me, i sit at idle. floor it, then turn the system on at 2000 rpms (now 2500 due to converter) in first gear. that is my definition of 'out of the hole'. what's yours? just asking this to get on the same page of thinking.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe somebody needs to think how stall convertors work? The principal behind them is Torque based, not RPM. So if you spray over a stall it will flash 300-500 over rating.
minimum.( DISCLAIMER***** depending on shot size)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
Not sure of this? A 2500 stall on spray will race to what RPM ,without ballon plates? I like to travel to the track and back. Don't want to clutter the board
but are you sure of this?
Hawk
The 4l60e converters that use are custom built locally(Torque converter services of Columbia) using the stock shell and are normally good for 2200-2400 flash stall speed.The power level I'm speaking of (less than 500rwhp) doesnt require anti ballooning plates. I drive my cars to the track And back, never had an issue, but thats just me. Never had an issue with the stock converter either.We currently have one in an LS1 Camaro running low tens(HCI, LSI with two systems and slicks) for over a year with no issues(been through two trannys though!)
BTW -I agree if you do spray from home use a Dry kit(IMO)

Last edited by NOSJNKY; 11-30-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
My suggestion friends/shopping cart!!!!!.If you spray that low of RPM,
you're toast. And i suggest a 'Dry' set up i'm just guessing you're new to
spray.
Hawk
New to nitrous sure I guess, been spraying for about 2 months. Already had dry and don't like it. I just needed some suggestions in case I do it. I had a 1.99 60 last time out so that not to bad. I'm leaning towards spraying at around 2500.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 4,000 stall and Yank SS4000 with a 2.60 STR.

I bet that turns into a Yank 4,500 if I spray out of the hole?? i will have to check when I try it one day, still haven't sprayed at the track yet.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STYank 4000. The car has stock exhaust and stock suspension. SI with just a lid. Spraying a 100 shot wet "outta the hole". I stall up to about 3000-3300. Not really sure what I flash to on the spray b/c I'm usually looking at the track. This is also on a set of MT ET Streets. I pull consistent 1.58-1.59, 60' times. But have hit 1.496 and lifted the stock front tire off the ground. Would definitely recommend a set of sticky's. Also, a converter will do wonders. 13.5s stock, dropped to 12.5s with just addition of converter and ET Streets, then dropped to 11.5s with a 100 shot. As mentioned before, get a window switch and don't worry about the rpms, just floor her. Would also recommend a Fuel Pressure Safety Switch. Oh, another advocate of not spraying under 3000 rpms.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was running 11.42 at 123MPH NA, now with a 100 shot it is gonna be sick
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

"Out of the hole" to me, means spraying when I see the second amber on the tree.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I just sit at idle and nail the gas, and when I take off I plant my finger on the button, worked for me so far
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PHTCBRA
There's no real reason you can. Granted, if you puddle, or stall, then it can back fire.. But I NEVER had any problem spraying off the line, and this was wit a 150 shot..

Granted, it took my rear end out.. Well, not really. It just whined like a mofuka.

I say jet correctly, and then go for it. If it does backfire, hell, a new intake manafold might be in order.

^ the above post is my opinion only. These opinions are not to be taken to the grave. Do what you want to do, i did.

By spraying out of the hole, i acheived a 1.7 60 ft, on Nitto DDR's on a subframe connected Dragshock stock convertor car. HTH

and let me add that i got a 1.63 60' time with M/T's DRs on a stock converter spooled up to 1500 rpms on a 100 shot right off the line. let me also say that the tranny only held up 3 weeks worth of that. so go on and bye you a tranny or have yours rebuilt.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NOSJNKY
The 4l60e converters that use are custom built locally(Torque converter services of Columbia) using the stock shell and are normally good for 2200-2400 flash stall speed.The power level I'm speaking of (less than 500rwhp) doesnt require anti ballooning plates. I drive my cars to the track And back, never had an issue, but thats just me. Never had an issue with the stock converter either.We currently have one in an LS1 Camaro running low tens(HCI, LSI with two systems and slicks) for over a year with no issues(been through two trannys though!)
BTW -I agree if you do spray from home use a Dry kit(IMO)
your only point i would disagree with is the statement that you dont need anti ballonning plates on a stall that your spraying and that the stock verter will last any time. my understanding of the techs that tore down my tranny, after it **** on itself, said that the material in the pan was verter based and not clutch based and that is what took out my clutches, pump, band, and all the other crap. the stator in the stock verter will not hold under the NOS, that is just my humble opinion and the techs that studied my verter and tranny!!!!
thing is, a nitrous stall isnt that much more than a non balloon plate stall, so why even chance it. they make them for a reason, follow the pro's!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bshonda
your only point i would disagree with is the statement that you dont need anti ballonning plates on a stall that your spraying and that the stock verter will last any time. my understanding of the techs that tore down my tranny, after it **** on itself, said that the material in the pan was verter based and not clutch based and that is what took out my clutches, pump, band, and all the other crap. the stator in the stock verter will not hold under the NOS, that is just my humble opinion and the techs that studied my verter and tranny!!!!
thing is, a nitrous stall isnt that much more than a non balloon plate stall, so why even chance it. they make them for a reason, follow the pro's!!!!!!
Just stating whats worked for me over the years with the small amount of nitrous on the cars. From my experience the tranny will let go way before the converter(destroyed clutch packs and grooved drums). The local Company that builds our converters does all of or 10.5 outlaw stuff and hybrid converters(custom ford to powerglide,etc.). We've always had exellent results from their products(I'm no tranny expert by any means!). I run a $300 5,000 9" hybrid converter that they built in my 10.5 outlaw mustang (414 ford/powerglide) and its held up to two years worth of 8 sec. 1/4 mile passes.
But for peace of mind your right, just be safe. Later
Old 12-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
Yes don't spray below 3000.
once again