Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge Line Question

Old 12-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge Line Question

Just curious what everyone was using for their purge lines?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think most are using 3/16 or 1/4 soft copper tubing. I'm using 3/16 poly tubing.
Hawk
Old 12-17-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

3/16 nylon tubing here. Easy to use & holds its shape if heated with a heat gun when bent and then cooled with water or a wet rag. You can get it at a hydraulics supply place or any good go kart shop for race karts. They use it for hydraulic brake line.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

I have 1/8 inch copper. I was just curious.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used kit and I need my purge line to be at lease 2 feet long and its not, how do you make it longer? do you have to buy new copper line and flare it or does it come with the NPT fitting on it already? How does the same thing work with the plastic lines?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Run you a new line, and once at the end if you are using metal, flare or swell larger,,,this will increase the purge plums size... With nylon or plastic line, its harder to do but with the right push lock fittings you can give the end of the line an area to expand before exiting the tubing.. Again a larger plum.

Ricky
Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Run you a new line, and once at the end if you are using metal, flare or swell larger,,,this will increase the purge plums size... With nylon or plastic line, its harder to do but with the right push lock fittings you can give the end of the line an area to expand before exiting the tubing.. Again a larger plum.

Ricky
Thanks! But how do you secure the line to the NPT fitting that threads into the purge solinoid? Thats the part that I'm just not very clear on.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thanks! But how do you secure the line to the NPT fitting that threads into the purge solinoid? Thats the part that I'm just not very clear on.
If you're using a metal line use a compression fitting with male NPT threads on one end. If you are using nylon or plastic line then use a push lock fittting.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
If you're using a metal line use a compression fitting with male NPT threads on one end. If you are using nylon or plastic line then use a push lock fittting.
Thanks for the help Jeremy and being so quick to respond also.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have always just used a standard brass compression ferrul on nylon lines just like you use on metal lines.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

A more important question is why are you purging? Unless you need to drop bottle pressure there is absolutely no need for an external purge. Just purge in to the intake during your burnout. It is by far a better at eliminating gasses in the lines than purging at a point before your main solenoid.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Homeslice (tm)
A more important question is why are you purging? Unless you need to drop bottle pressure there is absolutely no need for an external purge. Just purge in to the intake during your burnout. It is by far a better at eliminating gasses in the lines than purging at a point before your main solenoid.
I'm sure the 14' nitrous supply line would hold way more air than the 18" line from the solinoid to the nozzle, so purging right before the nitrous solinoid has to do some accreditable good.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'm sure the 14' nitrous supply line would hold way more air than the 18" line from the solinoid to the nozzle, so purging right before the nitrous solinoid has to do some accreditable good.
Just curious, but from where, in a closed system is "air" (read contaminated) going to come from? Maybe if you change bottles, but other than that, only pure N2O should be in there. I also think the purge system is overrated...and definitely overused.

Galen
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

My point is that the purge is just a "looks" thing. Why spend the extra money and extra trouble wiring?

Galen:
And the "air" I refer to is gaseous N2O trapped in the lines.. Which is the reason everyone and their dog has a seperate purge.

I can see the big dogs using it to control bottle pressure (read dropping a bunch of nitrous) to a very fine degree to insure a consistant tune or consistant traction but for the average Joe... it's just like neons or a big wing... status symbol.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

My point is that the purge is just a "looks" thing. Why spend the extra money and extra trouble wiring?
I am running a wet system and on wet systems I hear there is a chance of backfire if too much fuel is sprayed and it puddles in the intake. Plus I bought my CFN wet kit used from a friend and the purge solinoid came with it.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Galen:
And the "air" I refer to is gaseous N2O trapped in the lines.. Which is the reason everyone and their dog has a seperate purge.

I can see the big dogs using it to control bottle pressure (read dropping a bunch of nitrous) to a very fine degree to insure a consistant tune or consistant traction .
Good point Homeslice. I knew there was another very good point that I hadnt thought about when posting earlier.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a wet system and on wet systems I hear there is a chance of backfire if too much fuel is sprayed and it puddles in the intake. Plus I bought my CFN wet kit used from a friend and the purge solinoid came with it.
If you purge during burnout you'll be at wot so, low speed dropping of fuel is not an issue. I used to do purge in burn out, but like the bling, bling factor. I use poly line and braided on current set-up.
Robert
Old 12-20-2005, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Good point Homeslice. I knew there was another very good point that I hadnt thought about when posting earlier.
Most things have a practical value... purge included... not taking a swipe at you with the purge comments but most people spend extra to get one and have big discussions on how big it is or what LEDs they can get with it. Personally I'd use the purge solenoid as a supplemental dry shot out of the hole.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally I'd use the purge solenoid as a supplemental dry shot out of the hole.

Thats the best idea I have heard in a while
Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Purging into the engine during a burnout is not recommended even tho some do it,,, Not everone that is doing a burn out is at full throttle... Some call it banging the motor.. Basicly allowing the nitrous system to burp into the engine.. There are a couple of things that alot of people will not talk about.. 1st, bang into an engine can help left ring lands if you are not carefully... Also there is a chance of the system sticking, now that would be bad... With most cars the need to watch your bottle pressure to the chilly on psi is not a concern, sure if you are sparying 500+hp mutli stages and running for thousands of dollars, but for fun not needed... In fact alot of cars can run faster with no purgeing of any kind.. That small delay or NON-sledge hammer hit off the line always the chassic to stick and get, not be shocked...
And finally it realy just looks great, and gets alot of people to notice your car, if you want to be noticed..
Ricky

Search this Thread