Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring Up My Bottle Heater...need Help Quick

Need a little help guys/gals...

I bought a bottle heater from: http://www.nitrousdirect.com/bottleheaters.html

It looks like this:

Okay, I have a switch I want to install and I am in need of a little direction. Th bottle heater has two white wires, either one can be a ground or a positive wire, so I am going to use one to wire as my ground on my bottle holding bracket. And I am runing the positive to a switch device which has a load (from battery 12V or PCM) a ground, which I have wired up and a supply, which I will run to the bottles second white wire. Anyone have any advice, need help quick, running out of daylight.

Thanks in advance,

Micah
Old 02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

http://nitrousdirect.com/heatwpressureswitchwiring.html
Old 02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the diagram, however when I spoke to them, they told me that I could run a ground wire directly from the heater... I guess I could do it my way and see what happens, do you think I will be successful? ...at least I hope it will work. If not, I will just have to try again.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

I think from your description your way will make the heater on all the time when your manual switch is on, leaving the pressure switch ineffective.

So how does the pressure switch turning off and on work into functioning correctly if you bypass the relay?

I am going to put the relay at the bottle bracket kind of like what your doing with the ground, but I am gonna go through the relay.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I think from your description your way will make the heater on all the time when your manual switch is on, leaving the pressure switch ineffective.

So how does the pressure switch turning off and on work into functioning correctly if you bypass the relay?

I am going to put the relay at the bottle bracket kind of like what your doing with the ground, but I am gonna go through the relay.
Well, the switch I have is a three pronge switch, which allows me to ground the switch, supply the switch from a 12V source and then supply the heater (one of the white wires) when it is on. I ground the second white wire.

Right now, it is getting dark, cold and I am finished with it now. I have to check everytihng over, it has juice, but the heater doesn't seem to work. I may just have to run the wiring the way the diagram is.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Use the bottom wiring diagram and its how I did mine.
BTW keep in mind the 3 prong switch is not in the diagram. On your 3 prong switch, does it light up when the circuit is on?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by frknlo
Use the bottom wiring diagram and its how I did mine.
BTW keep in mind the 3 prong switch is not in the diagram. On your 3 prong switch, does it light up when the circuit is on?
Yes it does light, I aprpeciate the diagram, but I was certain there was a much easier way without using a fuse or the PCM.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MICAH HERRON
Yes it does light, I aprpeciate the diagram, but I was certain there was a much easier way without using a fuse or the PCM.
Why would you not want to use a fuse? A fuse is there to protect your car from a fire!
Ive never heard of anyone using the pcm to turn on a bottle heater!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple right ways to wire a heater. There are more than a couple ways to wrongly hook up a heater. Use a diagram and a relay, for sure. Normally you would use a ign switched 12v that should already have a fuse, so a second fuse is normally not needed, but can be added at a lesser amp rating to only protect heater sw 12v.
Robert
Old 02-20-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
There are a couple right ways to wire a heater. There are more than a couple ways to wrongly hook up a heater. Use a diagram and a relay, for sure. Normally you would use a ign switched 12v that should already have a fuse, so a second fuse is normally not needed, but can be added at a lesser amp rating to only protect heater sw 12v.
Robert
Robert,

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure about where the relay terminals are at....this really is my first time wiring something without the assistance of someone else. From the diagram, it looks like both wires on the heater are hot, and the switch controls them with a fuse relay? This is my problem, but I am really lost with the box that list the terminal numbers. Ever been to Charleston, SC? I have a place to stay if you want to come over and help out?

Micah
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure who you spoke with, but just follow the diagram EXACTLY, use a relay and you'll be just fine. Don't change anything, use a fuse, etc. BTW You may have asked what the black arrow meant. If you have any further questions just give us a call, thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
Not sure who you spoke with, but just follow the diagram EXACTLY, use a relay and you'll be just fine. Don't change anything, use a fuse, etc. BTW You may have asked what the black arrow meant. If you have any further questions just give us a call, thanks!
Thanks, a guy out in MO offered to send me a wiring harness that would set me up on the terminal part, so I am not going to touch anything else until I get it. What is the purge switch all about? I have a purge setup wired completely different already.

Thanks again and I am sure I miss understood the rep I spoke with, nothing negative felt or said about NITROUS DIRECT I assure you.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MICAH HERRON
Thanks, a guy out in MO offered to send me a wiring harness that would set me up on the terminal part, so I am not going to touch anything else until I get it. What is the purge switch all about? I have a purge setup wired completely different already.

Thanks again and I am sure I miss understood the rep I spoke with, nothing negative felt or said about NITROUS DIRECT I assure you.
The purge is a low amp draw set-up. It can be wired without a relay as the sw can handle it. Myself, I always choose to use a relay, a safety thing to me.

On the relay, you say it seems it hass two hots. Well one is the sw 12 volts from your arming sw, a very, very low amp draw. This activates a set of contacts allowing the high amp load, going to heater, to be activated. The idea is to keep heavy amp load off the sw and to send batt 12v directly to heater. on the bottom of relay is the numbers to follow as per diagram.
Robert
Old 02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Robert56 and others, I am hoping to get this all done "CORRECTLY" soon. Appreciate the help and advice and I am going to follow it. If I ever cross paths with you guys I will be sure to buy a drink for you!

Thanks,

Micah