Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puddle-ing?... how to prevent it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol...because things are not always simple. I think too many times in day to day communication we focus on one aspect of a complex problem. Thats where buzzwords are created. Just in the automotive racing industry alone they are rampant and usually misleading and can lead someone down the wrong path.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why can't we just agree to use the buzzword "puddling" to discribe the situation of backfire causing an explosion of fuel in the intake manifold?
It would be simpler that way even if no actual puddles are involved.
The reality still exists that this can only happen with a wet system which fills the intake with fuel, and is prone to distribution problems because of incomplete fuel vaporization. I could care less if a puddle exists, the effect is still the same.
It's easier to just go with it since everyone uses the term already. It's like saying "the sun rises in the morning", not accurate but it conveys the idea.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

lol...how about just "backfire"
Old 02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
lol...how about just "backfire"
Because so many people are already using the two words almost interchangibly. More work to re-learn for the masses, and conflicts are garanteed.
It was just an idea to avoid more arguing.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS

Its almost like a compressor stall on a jet engine. This happens when the pressure behind the compresor is greater than the compressor. It results in a backflow of pressure through the compressor. In theory it should not be able to happen but does. It results in a BOOM BOOM BOOM out the front of the engine. Maybe some have heard that before...especially jets that are landing and powering up with the thrust reversers deployed.

The other scenario that seems to happen is too much juice at very low rpm.
Hey that it basicaly what I typed months back about the air stalling in the intake. But yours reads more techincal.....

Been looking at buying a car to show how and when a BOOOOMMM will happen.. YET no responces..... Just not that many choices around my area, and for some reason a guy puts a cam in a car at the price jumps 4k. lol

Anyway the debate goes on. haha

Ricky
Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Where do you find the time to write these novels?
Long winded, but always right!
Man I agree. Nice reply Al, it's nice to see someone actually take the time to write out a complex answer to a often debated issue. I remember one of the debates that went on a year or two ago, many pages and input, and wish I had saved it to refer people to, as it had some of the most indept debating I have seen on this issue. Sometimes I want to put more out (not saying I write like Al), but time and complexity are my worse enemy. Thanks Al, One question though, have you ever had an intake backfire with a dry kit? and it doesn't have to be a big explosive one? You went back to dry on your car right?
Robert
Old 02-25-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Robert...I havent had an intake backfire ever. Wet kit or dry. I did go back to the dry for now. Not because I feel one is better than the other...its just very very simple to get 750 crank HP from 42 lb injectors, walbro 255 and the stock MAF. So its more of a convienance thing right now.

Now I did have a weird problem once where my crank was walking away from the crank position sensor cutting out the ignition. It would only happen on juice. I would get on it with a 250 shot and it would pull like a raped ape for 2 seconds...then die..but the fuel and nitrous was still pumping through the motor.....then...ignition would come back in

All the fuel in the exhaust pipes and muffler would ignite and just make a horrendous exploision out the tailpipe . My flowmaster mufflers were almost round and bulged out so much you could see where the internal pieces were welded trying to hang on.

I remember some poor Honda came buy me when I was troubleshooting this. he reved at me...so I armed the juice and hit it. The front tires were just scraping along with the nose pointed high as I flew by him...once I was about three cars in front the ignition died again...and immediately sounded like cannons going off and spit 5 foot flames out the dumps right in his direction....lol. I think it scared the crap out of him. He took the next right turn
Old 02-25-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Hey that it basicaly what I typed months back about the air stalling in the intake. But yours reads more techincal.....

Been looking at buying a car to show how and when a BOOOOMMM will happen.. YET no responces..... Just not that many choices around my area, and for some reason a guy puts a cam in a car at the price jumps 4k. lol

Anyway the debate goes on. haha

Ricky

Hey Ricky...good thing is you can use LS1 intakes. They are cheap and plentiful. I probably have access to a few. Just make sure you get some good video
Old 02-25-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's great, the ricer probably did crap his pants. That is so funny.
Robert
Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Alright. ewll the car's tune should be stock as can be. The motor has a lil over 3000 miles on it and everything is stock (down to the manifolds and muffler)

Im am running a FJO Progressive controller with a HSW wet kit. My plan is to spray at 3000-3150 rpms from about a 35 shot and progress up to 100. IM not sure on what rpms im going to have it get to full power or when i should cut it off

I would assume, to be nice to my trans, it would be wise to NOT spray through the gears... (its a A4)

Thanks for that awesome responce 383...
Old 02-25-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though my intake was puddled with fuel because of the leaking solenoid, the engine idled and ran just fine. No backfires or explosions.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Alright. ewll the car's tune should be stock as can be. The motor has a lil over 3000 miles on it and everything is stock (down to the manifolds and muffler)

Im am running a FJO Progressive controller with a HSW wet kit. My plan is to spray at 3000-3150 rpms from about a 35 shot and progress up to 100. IM not sure on what rpms im going to have it get to full power or when i should cut it off

I would assume, to be nice to my trans, it would be wise to NOT spray through the gears... (its a A4)

Thanks for that awesome responce 383...
Cool thing about that controller you play with starts, final, time, rpm,, many many varibales can be loaded. You can set up 2 different ramps and switch between them to help what ever conditions you find.
Have you gotten a chance to play with the software?
Ricky
Old 02-25-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont understand the "not spraying through the shifts thing" If you are running a FI setup the boost doesnt come down between the shift right?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
i dont understand the "not spraying through the shifts thing" If you are running a FI setup the boost doesnt come down between the shift right?

No... but the idea is my trans has 80,000 of the hardest miles I have seen (bought car used). The motor has been replaced for a reason.
i want to make the trans last while i can

Last edited by Dragframe; 02-25-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

well thats defiantely a reason
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

While were on the subject, I am running an LT1 with a Accel SuperRam intake. A BIG BOX w/ RUNNERS. i have heard many stories about this intake setup "puddling" because of how big the plenum is. Do u think i would be safe with a 100 shot dry? Thanks

Oh heres the link to a SuperRam on Someones car
Here
Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
While were on the subject, I am running an LT1 with a Accel SuperRam intake. A BIG BOX w/ RUNNERS. i have heard many stories about this intake setup "puddling" because of how big the plenum is. Do u think i would be safe with a 100 shot dry? Thanks

Oh heres the link to a SuperRam on Someones car
Here
Not sure if your asking safety on a wet shot, or a dry shot with that intake? either way, the dry will be safer, as no fuel in the intake track to puddle. The specifics on that manifold, I don't know.
Robert

Quick Reply: Puddle-ing?... how to prevent it???